ack's main system - the quest for Timbre and Articulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ack's main system - the quest for Timbre and Articulation

The goal of this system is pretty simple: get everything out of the recording in an articulate way, and make it sound as real as possible

I also simply do not accept that manufacturers do their absolute best - or best for the money - in their designs, so I tweak everything I can: from power supplies, to corner frequencies, to shielding, tonearm stabilization, platter interfaces, and so much more.

Tweaks: I make heavy use of copper tape, 3M's AB5100 ultra high frequency shield, mumetal and Isodamp. The phono is heavily shielded that way, as well as the DAC and MIT cable boxes. I use Vishay HEXFRED diodes and Mundorf MLytics in power supplies (phono, FM tuner, etc), and Vishay 1839 bypass caps in certain places. Isodamp is used just about everywhere, from components, to underneath the speakers, to the platter interface

Power delivery: A Shunyata Denali 6000/S V2 and Venom XC and NR cords

Speakers: Starting with ML electrostatic panels from Sanders' original Odyssey platform, I have built my own Mundorf-based crossover, and am using different 8" and 10" woofers, plus Mundorf binding posts. The crossover has taken me some 10 years to voice to my liking; I have invested over $10K in parts alone. The step-up transformer is a newer version made to spec for me, based on measurements of ML's original. There is structural strengthening of the frame around the panels as well, using granite. The replacement panels are about 3 years old now. These speakers bear no resemblance to what comes out of the ML factory

Amplification: I've always mated the speed of electrostatics to the speed of Spectral: DMA-500AR amps, DMC-30SV preamp. The main goal of the custom crossover was to smooth the impedance as best as possible in order to also take advantage of the Spectrals' linearity, while vastly improving parts quality

Sources:
    Ortofon A90 decoupled from the arm with Isodamp
    Pass XP-25 phono, heavily shielded to be able to use the native max 76dB gain, and an after-market umbilical; numerous power supply changes accepted by Pass Labs; both the power supply and main unit are heavily shielded with mumetal and AB5100, resulting in exceptional lowering of the noise floor with no hum pick up
    VPI Aries 3 turntable with custom platter interface (a sandwich of materials, topped with Isodamp), magnetically-stabilized unipivot VPI arm, shielded motor, custom suspension, SDS speed controller
    A very rare Spectral SDR-3000SL transport driving an Yggdrasil 2 DAC which is heavily shielded with 3M's AB5100 material
    Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE with the 105 audio upgrade and power supply tweaks
    A Revox B77MkII for recording the BSO live on FM, and a Nak Dragon for fun. Curiously, I have not touched these two pieces at all

Cables: Shunyata Alpha V2 RCA for the sources, MIT Matrix 50ic and Oracle Matrix 90 for the amps, MIT MA-X phono heavily shielded, Kimber Hero elsewhere; Shunyata Omega AES/EBU

Click image for larger version

Name:	audio-main-scaled-5D4_9260.JPG
Views:	786
Size:	5.23 MB
ID:	157336

Magnetic arm stabilization, with custom opposing neodymium N52 ring and round magnets:

Name:	arm-stabilization-IMG_2700.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	157337

3M AB5100 on parts of the Yggy2:

Name:	ab5100-IMG_4605.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	157338

Custom electrostatic-crossover step-up transformer left, original ML on the right

Name:	ml-stepup-IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	877.6 KB
ID:	157339

Mumetal and Isodamp:

Name:	mumetal-IMG_4532.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	157340
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension & platter interface || Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i || Ortofon A90, Verismo || Modded & fully shielded Pass XP-25 || VPI SDS speed controller || Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE/105 Digital: Spectral 4000SV Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV || DMA-500AR Speakers: Custom MartinLogan Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X,90.1,Shunyata Alpha v2 Other: Shunyata Everest & Sigma/Delta cords; Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors; Mundorf coils & capacitors

Main System Link
    Second System Link

Some indispensable tools

1) The Trifield EM100 for measuring power line noise https://www.trifield.com/product/em100/

Name:	TrifieldPLMCorrected.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	783.4 KB
ID:	157410

2) The Trifield TF2 for measuring electromagnetic field strength and interference, and what helped me shield properly https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

Name:	tf2_angled_catalog.png
Views:	563
Size:	689.2 KB
ID:	157411

3) Books on amplifier design, like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/02...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	41BrenNBu0L._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	157412

4) Meantime, still trying to figure out what transistor popcorn noise is, while reading https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/mat...iale/f8-1p.pdf

Finally, here's a picture of the local audio buddies when I told them I think I understand amplifier design

Name:	IMG_5144.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	157413
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension & platter interface || Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i || Ortofon A90, Verismo || Modded & fully shielded Pass XP-25 || VPI SDS speed controller || Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE/105 Digital: Spectral 4000SV Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV || DMA-500AR Speakers: Custom MartinLogan Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X,90.1,Shunyata Alpha v2 Other: Shunyata Everest & Sigma/Delta cords; Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors; Mundorf coils & capacitors

Main System Link
    Second System Link

Comment

Pass XP-25 Phono shielding & mods revisited and compacted​

[This is copied from my system thread on another site and expanded with recent changes, marked in red:]

Lately, I've been helping a few folks deal with hum and noise issues with their own XP-25s, and we decided it might be best to compact all of my experiences in a single post here. I am glad that these folks are undertaking the same or similar efforts based on my past posts on this site, and the results are rewarding.

First and foremost, noise masks issues, and therefore, removing noise can expose problems elsewhere, while improving this unit. So my mods are not without pain. Case in point, I also had to lower the arm and adjust SRA down as well as dampen the tonearm at the pivot point with VPI's own thick oil they provide. So although resolution, dynamics and timbre improve when noise is attenuated, additional changes may also need to be applied elsewhere, perhaps to cabling as well (e.g. one may have been using silver interconnects to boost the treble a bit, only to find out that the sound is bright now), and this is true irrespective of the noise attenuation approach (i.e. power conditioning may also result in changes in the system to restore balance).

The XP-25 is, as discussed years ago, particularly prone to noise - really bad; so bad, that even the reviewers point that out; here's an excerpt from the HiFi+ review, and it's an understatement:

The one slight caveat with the phono stage part of the two box XP-25 is that it is so sensitive, you need to be a little aware of potential hum-fields around the device. It’s not the kind of phono stage that can sit too close to a big turntable power supply and even its own PSU is best given some distance. This is more a ‘shelf management’ issue than a problem per se, because the benefits of the XP-25 are so great, it’s worth taking the trouble to get it right.

The problem is that, only when you start removing noise from this unit will you realize how much of it is there. So let me state my original goals when I started tinkering with it, and the approach I took:
      1) Reduce or eliminate hum and RF noise so that I can turn up the gain to its native 76dB (all others sound softer) and increase dynamics and dynamic headroom; ditto for the loading which should be 47K. To that extent:

- mumetal and copper shielding was applied all around the power supply and main unit, and I mean all around but the facades; the back of the main unit is especially prone to hum pick up. I used 2-inch wide copper tape with adhesive backing, and 4-inch wide mumetal with adhesive backing (sold by the linear inch) from edmo.com or opentip.com. Others have emailed me that they are experimenting with 6mm-thich mumetal under the main unit. The reality is that I have gained significant sonic results by applying mumetal to the MIT boxes, the DAC power supplies and elsewhere. The MIT boxes are particularly prone as well, to the point that MIT are now doing 5-layer shielding in some of their products.

- 3M AB5100SHF ultra-high frequency shield, typically found in cell phones and laptops - link . This has had a profound effect on this phono by wrapping it all around the main amplification unit, the MIT MA-X cable box, as well as the RF section of my FM tuner and all other MIT cable boxes, in terms of reducing grunge and distortion. Highly recommended for all sorts of applications. With the preamp gain at max, there is just a hint of hiss, which is remarkable

- I replaced the silly printer-cable umbilical with the fabulous Tubulus Argentus DB-25, at the recommendation of @spiritofmusic - https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubu...s-db-25-cable/

- I dumped the stock power cord in favor of Shunyata Venom V10 NR, and everything is now plugged into a Denali 6000S/v2

- I replaced the power diodes in the power supply with the sensational Vishay VS-HFA15TB60-M3, and although their power rating is overkill (15A), they just work so well because noise is so low; this was a recommendation by another fellow here at the site, who's not generally active; I placed the same diodes in my Alpha DAC and tuner. https://www.vishay.com/docs/96191/vs-hfa15tb60-m3.pdf

(One thing I would NOT do is replace the power supply caps - Pass are big on safety, and claim theirs were chosen for that primary purpose)

- Plugged the unused input with RCA plugs sporting 100ohm resistors; this is an easy A/B test: turn the volume all the way up using one input and plug the other; there is leakage
      2) Be able to use the native XLR-out (it's a true balanced design), because the RCA outputs are colored as if there is a summation circuit (same situation as with the Yggy2 DAC). Noise-reduction was the ticket there as well
      3) Reduce capacitance in the signal path as much as I can - so the loading 100pF capacitors - C21 and C22 - were removed from the main unit
      4) Vibration control with Isodamp underneath the main unit, replacing the stock feet, also sold by the linear inch or foot, or sheets (amazon etc)

After all this work, the results are truly phenomenal; no hum even after turning the preamp to the max, about 100dB gain. In terms of order of significance of the mods, the biggest effect was the shielding of the two boxes, followed by the Shunyata Venom V10 NR cord & Shunyata Denali 6000S/v2, followed by the umbilical, followed by the diodes in the power supply, followed probably last by the transformer mumetal shield.

Finally, another member's reaction to the shielding:

Picked up the units today! Shielded and buttoned up! Absolutely fantastic, words fail! Thanks for sharing this, and for talking me through all the mods.

-ack
      Last edited by ack; 08-17-2022, 03:08 PM.

Main System Link
      Second System Link

Comment

This is brilliant. I too went down this path and built from scratch my phono preamplifier, tape head preamplifier, tube power amps, all signal cables and loudspeakers. I also modified my SME 3012II tonearm. This gives me the latitude to experiment and to use the best components possible, such as military grade Caddock power film and Vishay bulk metal foil resistors, Lemo connectors, field coil drivers etc., which most manufacturers would find prohibitively expensive to use. All chassis wiring and signal cabling is pure silver, BTW. Making cables with solid silver wire and teflon dielectric on a triamped system only cost me about US$400 in total (I bought the wire and foil when silver was trading at US$5 though). Highly recommend you do that when silver price crashes, which happens periodically.

Comment

ACK, have you had any issue using too much RF damping paper. Have you found critical area to apply it judiciously.

And how do you put that copper foil paper on a circuit board and not short it out. Or cause overheating of the ss devices.
          Thanks
          Rex
          PAP Trio 15 Coax speakers, Dartzeel NHB108, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp, Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Aidas Durawood cartridge, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Torus WM45BAL isolation transformer with Benjamin custom 120 volt single phase panel distributing to branch circuits. Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel such as all copper grounds and neutrals. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air speaker and Interconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by adrianwu View Post
            This is brilliant. I too went down this path and built from scratch my phono preamplifier, tape head preamplifier, tube power amps, all signal cables and loudspeakers. I also modified my SME 3012II tonearm. This gives me the latitude to experiment and to use the best components possible, such as military grade Caddock power film and Vishay bulk metal foil resistors, Lemo connectors, field coil drivers etc., which most manufacturers would find prohibitively expensive to use. All chassis wiring and signal cabling is pure silver, BTW. Making cables with solid silver wire and teflon dielectric on a triamped system only cost me about US$400 in total (I bought the wire and foil when silver was trading at US$5 though). Highly recommend you do that when silver price crashes, which happens periodically.
            Thank you! Congratulations on your own endeavors, which obviously outclass mine. It would be great if you can post your own system and pictures, and I am looking forward to sharing tweaks and other ideas!

Main System Link
            Second System Link

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
              ACK, have you had any issue using too much RF damping paper. Have you found critical area to apply it judiciously.
              I never had issues with the 3M material, as long as it doesn't sit on hot surfaces, and it can sit on warm like my phono's main chassis - it does dissipate heat, but the problem is the adhesive backing. It needs to go as close to noise-emitting or noise-absorbing parts of a circuit as possible. For example, on top of digital chips, as I have done with the Yggy2 and Alpha DACs; but also around the analog output sections after asserting low heat readings. The most significant performance gain was really around the phono box and MIT phono cable box. I don't think there is a problem with using too much AB5100, as itself comes in various thicknesses (5100 being 1mm, and 5050 for example being 0.5mm, etc), but I did not experiment too much.

Then, over the FM tuner's RF section, which was already shielded by Magnum with tin (not good), so I placed additional copper foil and then the AB5100 with astounding results: no more interference from the preamp's remote control unit (sitting far away, in fact), far less FM hashies, and beautiful FM sounds because of less distortion. Magnum's tin box does have two small holes for air circulation and I did not plug them. As you may be aware, the RF section and the internal and external antenna cables must be shielded for best performance, so as to let the real antenna be the only entity to pick the FM signals, and a good antenna like the ST-2 I use has a length appropriate for the wavelength of signals picked up. For that reason, I am using a quad-shielded RG-6 antenna cable by GE that I found on Amazon.

And how do you put that copper foil paper on a circuit board and not short it out. Or cause overheating of the ss devices.
              Thanks
              Rex
              So I have indeed put copper foil on a circuit board to shield the output section of my Alpha DAC, and it has to be done EXTREMELY CAREFULLY obviously, so as to not touch any parts. I did find paths for the foil's adhesive to sit on, and with painstaking effort and magnifying glasses, it can be done; then on top of that copper box that I created, I placed the AB5100. Said copper box does have an opening away from the rest of the circuit board in order to dissipate heat

And here's my latest discovery: Dynamat damping material https://dynamat.com and I am using the Dynamat Extreme https://www.dynamat.com/products/dynamat-xtreme/ . They are the leader in damping for everything household to marine to automobiles (where they started, by damping door panels). I am currently very successfully using it in my speakers' woofer cabinets and on the MIT speaker boxes. This weekend's project was to shield those boxes as shown below:

Copper foil layer with a ground wire if I want to experiment with routing to earth ground:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5185.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	157971

Then Dynamat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5186.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	157972

Then MuMetal:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5188.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	157973

Then AB5100:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5189.JPG Views:	0 Size:	987.8 KB ID:	157974

Finally, the boxes are sitting on the blue Isodamp. Most of these materials except the Dynamat have been used on the MIT boxes for years, held together with adhesive tape while I was experimenting, but today came the time to use their adhesive backings to permanently put all this stuff together with the addition of the Dynamat, which was the last missing piece for vibration control...

-ack

Main System Link
              Second System Link

Comment

There’s something special about the sound of stats and as a former Martin-Logan lover know exactly where you are coming from. Very few speakers can reproduce the sound of say a sax better than the Martin-Logan’s. Down to the tiniest nuances of the overtones. I thought about doing something similar but my fear was enhancing the differences between the stat and woofer.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 440 mono amps
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Thanks
                  Rex
                  Thank you for your interest. You can read about it here: https://www.psaudio.com/copper/artic...audio-journey/
                  This is part one. You can read the other parts in the following issues.

Comment

• Kingrex
                    Kingrex commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not quite sure the relevance to my queation. But an interesting read. Thanks

• adrianwu
                    adrianwu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry Rex, it was supposed to quote the post below but somehow, it quoted your post !

Originally posted by adrianwu View Post

Thank you for your interest. You can read about it here: https://www.psaudio.com/copper/artic...audio-journey/
                  This is part one. You can read the other parts in the following issues.
                  Adrian, it took me a while to figure out what you were responding to, and it was to my invitation to see your system. I read Part 1 and then Part 2 https://www.psaudio.com/copper/artic...rney-part-two/ and I have to say you've been all over the place. Never seen or heard about most of the equipment you've been through. The current system looks nice. Are you still in Hong Kong now, and how's the audio scene at the moment after the political changes?

And I think I spotted Myles's speakers in yellow here https://www.psaudio.com/copper/artic...ual-show-2021/

I also love your writ on notable recordings like this one https://www.psaudio.com/copper/artic...gs-part-three/ and I need to get that Telarc Omnidisc, which I've been avoiding forever, not sure why... Thanks again!

Main System Link
                  Second System Link

Comment

• adrianwu
                    adrianwu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reading my articles. I hope you will subscribe to Copper (it is free !). The magazine is non-commercial and has lots of articles on different genres of music, as well as consumer and pro audio. I am still in Hong Kong. Nothing much has changed in terms of day to day life, even politically, since we never had any voice when the British was in charge, and when the Chinese government took over and allowed Hong Kong people to run our own affairs, we made a mess of it. To be frank, many people are happy that the Chinese government has finally felt the need to take charge, and we all hope the more profound problems, such as the monopolizing power of the property tycoons, will finally be solved. As for audio, it is as vibrant as ever, if the attendance at the annual high end show is any guide. I hardly buy any new equipment nowadays, as I prefer to tinker with what I have. However, I am having a lot of fun helping a few friends build their systems.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  There’s something special about the sound of stats and as a former Martin-Logan lover know exactly where you are coming from. Very few speakers can reproduce the sound of say a sax better than the Martin-Logan’s. Down to the tiniest nuances of the overtones. I thought about doing something similar but my fear was enhancing the differences between the stat and woofer.
                  It took me over a decade worth of crossover adjustments to get the bass and panels to cooperate to the best of my abilities... really, really tough

Main System Link
                  Second System Link

Comment

Thankfully the visits have finally resumed. Had a blast recently with dear friends

Name:	154C247D-A9A6-4500-B914-FEDC87B850F8.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	158664

Main System Link
                    Second System Link

Comment

Looks like Peter and Myles are having a great time. Nice to have friends who share your passion for audio and music.

Comment

• ack
                        ack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, Al M and Myles... great company, and great food and wine

Originally posted by ack View Post
                      Thankfully the visits have finally resumed. Had a blast recently with dear friends

Name:	154C247D-A9A6-4500-B914-FEDC87B850F8.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	158664
                      Spending time with audio friends listening to music is, in nearly all cases, a great way to relax and have some fun.

Dre
                      Every day is a good day to play analog.
                      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                      Every day is a good day for live music.
                      Every day is a good day to listen to music.
                      Industry Affiliation:
                      Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

Yes, that was a fun day. It was a real pleasure to meet Myles! He also played a bunch of music that I liked, and of course I had to order some of it for myself.

Excellent sound, Ack, super dynamic and engaging. Another data point, next to what I heard in another system, that the new Shunyata gear is really outstanding. Lower noise, truer timbre, no loss of life and dynamics.

Comment

Working...
                        X