X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Lefkowicz
    Premier Club Member
    • Feb 2016

From Positive Feedback Issue #1 - 47 Labs Gaincard Amplifier

The 47 Labs Gaincard is still one of the most expensive products I've ever reviewed. It has led to a long term fascination with chip amps based on the LM1875, LM3875 and LM3886 chips. I've tried several over the years and still plan to build a good gainclone someday.

Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iFi iPhono2/iPowerX
    Digital: Geekom Mini PC (i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, JRiver Media Center 29, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ.
    Electronics: Khozmo Stereo Passive with AMRG Ladder Attenuator and "NewClassD" Active Stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
    Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, GoldenEar BRX
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
    Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, AV Room Services EVPs under the speakers, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM
  • Rob
    Premier Club Member
    • Jan 2016

Ive owned a few gainclone amps, the Audiosector Patek which is a refinement of the 47 Labs gaincard; and an interesting piece from Taiwan by VA Labs. The natural pairing for both designs are horn speakers. I used them with Avantgarde Uno Fino XDs and Klipsch CW IVs. I can't think of a more minimalist topology for SS, as you know, the driver and output stage are contained on a single chip. Both amps were completely hardwired point-to-point. The VA Labs designer is deep into vintage Altec horns and created the Venus for that application. Its an integrated with one input and the clever use of a VCA for the volume control.

Sonically I found them to be a mixed bag and very load/speaker dependent. A high efficiency horn or wide bander like the voxativ is the natural partner for this type of amp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	patekse2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	171274

Click image for larger version  Name:	patekse1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	171275
    Click image for larger version  Name:	va labs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	260.1 KB ID:	171276
    Attached Files

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
      Premier Club Member
      • Feb 2016

The Audiosector kit is one I was considering. Justin Webber of Ampsandsound used to also build a great small chip amp based on the LM1875 and sold for about $600. Not really a "gainclone" with a different style power supply. I also got to try out a Clones Audio 25i that was really nice.
      But certainly, the success of a chip amp like that is highly speaker dependent.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      -
      Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iFi iPhono2/iPowerX
      Digital: Geekom Mini PC (i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, JRiver Media Center 29, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug FMJ.
      Electronics: Khozmo Stereo Passive with AMRG Ladder Attenuator and "NewClassD" Active Stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
      Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, GoldenEar BRX
      Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
      Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
      Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
      Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, AV Room Services EVPs under the speakers, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
      Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Working...