Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm In, Part 6. Stellavox SP 7, Beans Spilled Everywhere...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After spending some time with the Stellavox Sp7, I've corrected a few electrical/electronic issues I was having when I first received the deck. I don't believe it had been used in several years.

I've managed to acquire a couple replacement ABR extender belts for the large reel adapter thanks to Charles King. I also purchased a new internal drive belt to replace the original metal spring belt.

Additionally, there were a couple hold-down discs for the ABR that the past owner was unable to find at the time of acquisition: they are still looking for the discs. To compensate for this missing component, I had some 3.5" dia. aluminum-alloy discs made and then drilled center holes to use as a temporary (or permanent) part for that purpose. You can see the hold-down disc for the large reel in one of the pictures below with the with the ABR extender. The disc sits just under the pulley on the reels.

Below are updated Pictures of the working Stellavox Sp7 with 5" reels and 10.5" reels:

Stellavox Sp7 with 5" Reels
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN1.jpg Views:	7 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	111821

Stellavox Sp7 with ABR Extender and 10.5" Reels
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	111822

Things to do next, in order of importance, will be:

1 - disassembling the pinch roller and sending it to be resurfaced/reconditioned because there is a small indentation due to the unit being stored with the roller engaged

2 - bearing maintenance/change-out in the future to reduce noise level

3 - sending my backup headblock off to be inspected for relapping at JRF Magnetic Sciences due to poor performance during tests here. (the main primary headblock in the picture is working fine)

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Looks great Andre. Very nice addition to your growing collection.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mark

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
      After spending some time with the Stellavox Sp7, I've corrected a few electrical/electronic issues I was having when I first received the deck. I don't believe it had been used in several years.

I've managed to acquire a couple replacement ABR extender belts for the large reel adapter thanks to Charles King. I also purchased a new internal drive belt to replace the original metal spring belt.

Additionally, there were a couple hold-down discs for the ABR that the past owner was unable to find at the time of acquisition: they are still looking for the discs. To compensate for this missing component, I had some 3.5" dia. aluminum-alloy discs made and then drilled center holes to use as a temporary (or permanent) part for that purpose. You can see the hold-down disc for the large reel in one of the pictures below with the with the ABR extender. The disc sits just under the pulley on the reels.

Below are updated Pictures of the working Stellavox Sp7 with 5" reels and 10.5" reels:

Click image for larger version Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN1.jpg Views:	7 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	111821

Click image for larger version Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	111822

1 - disassembling the pinch roller and sending it to be resurfaced/reconditioned because there is a small indentation due to the unit being stored with the roller engaged

3 - sending my backup headblock off to be inspected for relapping at JRF Magnetic Sciences due to poor performance during tests here. (the main primary headblock in the picture is working fine)

Dre
      Stellavox Sp7 update:

Items one (rebuild pinch-roller) and three (backup headblock to get heads relapped), mentioned above, are in the works as I type.

Once those are completed, I'll begin preparations for item #2.

Dre

Comment

Stellavox Sp7 update:

Items one (rebuild pinch-roller) and three (backup headblock to get heads relapped), mentioned above, are in the works as I type.

Once those are completed, I'll begin preparations for item #2.

Dre
        I've received the rebuilt pinch roller from Terry's Rubber Rollers and installed it into the Sp7. The roller appears to be working well. I played one 5" 7.5ips test tape and a few of my 10.5" 15ips music tapes. The deck is back up and running better with the new roller.

Now, I'm waiting on a report from JRF on the head condition of my backup headblock.

Dre
        Last edited by Dre_J; 05-03-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN1.jpg Views:	7 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	111821

Click image for larger version Name:	Dre-StellavoxSp7-AN2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	111822

Dre

Items 1 and 3 are now completed. I installed the JRF Magnetic Sciences relapped backup headblock (item 3) on the SP7 a couple days ago.

That same day, I packaged the Stellavox Sp7 and shipped it off for Item 2 work.

Item 2 involves bearing maintenance/change out along with inspection and possible rebuild of motor and clutch assemblies. The unit is currently working but these items are for noise reduction and improved performance.

An additional task added to item 2 (lets call it item 2.2) is to convert the passive components in the backup headblock from NAB playback to 15ips IEC playback. This task will allow me to have a dedicated headbock for both (NAB or IEC/CCIR) playback at 15ips.

Dre

Comment

Working...
          X