Two Vinyl Music Playback Videos From Listening Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Vinyl Music Playback Videos From Listening Position

In a series of posts in this section (Off The Grid - Audionirvana.org) of the forum, I posted videos of my 6 tape decks playing music. Some of the videos were close to the deck and some were from the listening position.

In this topic, I'll provide two videos (nothing elaborate, just an unedited mobile phone recording) of the system playing my vinyl setup as viewed from the listening position.

Like the tape deck videos before this, Select 1080p HD for playback video quality for best sound
    Note: headphones or desktop speakers or system playback may sound better than the mono playback sound from a cellphone. Of course, still nowhere as good as in person.
    • The first video is Pablo record label original vinyl - Count Basie Big Band playing a part of the cut titled "Blues For The Barbecue" from the album Farmers Market Barbecue @ 33.3RPM
    • The second video is the entire 2nd movement of Scheherazade conducted by Reiner and the Chicago Symphony [LSC-2446]. It's either the AP or Classic 33.3RPM reissue.

Each of the videos are using a different cartridge and tonearm configuration based on when they were recorded.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

I enjoy system videos, would be nice to see more of the system and the room in future videos!

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Really impressive. Actually sounded great on my modest computer desk system. What type of mike are you using?
      Main System:Thales Compact Turntable and Thales Simplicity Tonearm, Ortofon A95, Musical FidelityM6 Vinyl Phono Stage, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super with Jelco 850 Tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, Cary Audio CAD-300SEI (All tubes rolled),Pure Audio Project Quintet 15s with Voxative AC-PiFe, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
        I enjoy system videos, would be nice to see more of the system and the room in future videos!

david
        There are now around twenty videos on the YouTube channel showing different source components. Some are from the listening location and some are up close to the component. More of the system can be seen regarding those the source components.

In TAS issue #310 there is a photo of the equipment side of the room.

Maybe that helps,
        Dre

Comment

• david k
          david k commented
          Editing a comment
          I checked out some of your other videos didn't find an overall room view to understand your setup in any of them just some tape machine closeups and even one with your speakers in it.

david

• Dre_J
          Dre_J commented
          Editing a comment
          I had mentioned the videos show different source components (some close up and some from the listening position). The only other photo publicly available is the picture I mentioned of the system in TAS issue #310.

Up until then, I've been very private about my space. That's all there is. I've not been much on posting room photos of my listening and working environment. Accommodating the magazine's request for issue #310 was near the limit of my comfort zone.

Dre

• david k
          david k commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood!

Originally posted by adeep42 View Post
        Really impressive. Actually sounded great on my modest computer desk system. What type of mike are you using?
        Thanks. The sound is also from an unedited mobile phone recording.

Dre

Comment

For something different (not classical or Jazz), I recorded the track "Heart To Hang Onto" from Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane's Rough Mix album last night.

I think it came out ok. It is the 1983 ATCO reissue.
          • Analog Vinyl - "Heart To Hang Onto" by Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane @ 33.3RPM. From the ATCO 1983 Specialty Records Processing vinyl reissue of the 1977 released Rough Mix album.

Dre

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds great. I use "Street in the City" a lot when setting up a cart and arranging speakers. Are you still using the Kentos?

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Rob. I actually recorded that one too but ultimately decided that one Townshend/Lane recording was probably enough.

I'm back to my long-standing reference speaker setup. All of the three videos in this thread are the ref speakers and four subwoofers.
            Last edited by Dre_J; 03-07-2021, 07:16 PM.

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Rob, I went ahead and posted that video of "Street In The City".

The link is here: https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/a...ening-position
        Working...
        X