Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studer A80VU MKII auto locate "LOC" switch repair w/pictures and one 15-second video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studer A80VU MKII auto locate "LOC" switch repair w/pictures and one 15-second video

The auto locate to zero "LOC" switch that is part of the tape counter assembly started acting up intermittently on my Studer A80VU MKII.

I started a search for the Studer part number but came up empty in my initial try except one or two out of the country.

I then pulled the part numbers off the broken OEM switch (SAIA Miltac XCC3) and searched for it. There was one seller with approximately 120+ general purpose versions of used SAIA XCC3 switches in a bundle. I did not want a used switch for a replacement if I could avoid it.

So, I started looking at the OEM switch makeup and SPDT electrical and mechanical function.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre_SAIA-XCC3-AN.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	152757

If you look at the OEM switch (in picture above), you will notice a notch at the end corner near the button. Well this is for a lever that Studer didn't use on the A80VU MKII. They use a much more robust beveled shaft on a plunger to press the switch. (There is a video at the end of the message that shows the plunger in action with the replacement switch.)

I found something that physically looked like and matched the electrical function of the OEM switch but black in color.

The Switch I found is a KW12-3 micro switch. It has the lever on it. I removed the lever. (See pictures below this).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre_KW12-3-a-AN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	152758

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre_KW12-3-b-AN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	152759

I opened the A80VU MKII again when the replacement switch arrived and removed the OEM switch from its location but left the leads soldered. I wanted to test the new switch before unsoldering the OEM one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre_KW12-3_SAIA-AN.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	152760

The install went perfectly (mechanically and electrically) and the new switch fit like a glove in the same location where the LOC button plunger operates.

I then unsoldered the wires from the OEM switch and soldered them to the new switch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dre_KW12-3-installed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.7 KB ID:	152761

It works perfectly every time now.

Direct Link:
    Studer A80VU MKII after "LOC" switch repair. - YouTube

Embedded Link:

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Very clever work there.
    JLH

Comment

Very nice,

Its great when you find something that works and not a kludge especially on something like a high end Studer.
      Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanhorwich View Post
        Very clever work there.
        Thanks

Originally posted by kcin View Post
        Very nice,

Its great when you find something that works and not a kludge especially on something like a high end Studer.
        Agree
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Working...
        X