X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m in. Beans spilled everywhere…

I’m in. Beans spilled everywhere…

//The short version:

I’ve been enjoying tape for a while at the homes of friends but never had interest in picking up a deck for myself. Those that know me know why. If I bought a deck, I’d want to know everything about it and make sure it is fully functional – meaning doing it myself.

Well, the rare opportunity arrived to get a well-cared for Otari MTR-10 Mastering Tape Recorder (1/4” 2-track only as configured, 7.5/15/30ips) that was in the possession of one owner its entire lifetime; in a clean studio; in great shape.

After receiving the deck nearly three months ago, I’ve done some minor electrical and mechanical maintenance to get it completely up to original specifications - even though it was in great shape to begin with and I could have just played tapes. Being the way I’m wired, I’ve checked every aspect of the unit and it meets every specification published for the input recording side as well as the output performance.

Pouring through a host of MRL documents, component specifications, design documents, and schematics, I was able to pretty much verify and/or adjust all functionality of the tape deck.

I’ve played over 75+ tapes several hundred times total and the PLL servo-controlled transport (which is partly why I picked it) handles tape beautifully.

// Short version over

Click image for larger version  Name:	MTR-10forANsmall.jpg Views:	1 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	21423

Although there were many friends that have helped tip me over the edge, thanks goes to Audionirvana members Myles, Mark (mep), and Ki Choi for help along the way.

Dre

PS: What’s next? Who knows, could be anything…
    -Wired for external Repro? Most likely RCA and/or Balanced
    -Second Headblock? Probably
    -Buy 50 more Tape Decks? I’m sure Ki would say YES!

Update: February 2017 - Added this a custom part numbered new Flux Magnetics Mastering Series Repro head for my Otari MTR-10 Mastering Tape Recorder (1/4” 2-track only as configured, 7.5/15/30ips).

Update: June 2018 - Added Otari Auto Locator CB-109 to my Otair MTR-10 Mastering Tape Recorder (1/4” 2-track only as configured, 7.5/15/30ips).

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=89809.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	89810

Last edited by Dre_J; 06-15-2018, 11:44 AM.
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Congrats, Dre! It's hard to be on this forum wo dipping your toes into tape!
    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Nice!!
      TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Welcome to the club.

Comment

Playing tapes puts hair on your chest! It took a little while but somehow I think Ki, Mark and I created a monster! I'm waiting for Andre to get a second deck to start doing transfers!
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

God help us ....Congrats Andre!

Comment

Great deck other than it's large size. I still have one w/head wired out by Charles King. It's a workhorse and is not so complicated to work on internally like a Studer A810 and A820. Enjoy. Hope you decide to wire the head to an outboard pre. It becomes another class of deck.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by jazdoc View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	jaws.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	21619

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
                  Great deck other than it's large size. I still have one w/head wired out by Charles King. It's a workhorse and is not so complicated to work on internally like a Studer A810 and A820. Enjoy. Hope you decide to wire the head to an outboard pre. It becomes another class of deck.
                  And it plays 30 ips tape.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I don't think the outboard pre has an eq for 30ips and I don't have 30 ips tapes. Really an un-important feature to me....especially with the stock Otari repro amp which is only okay sounding.
                    Christian
                    System Gear

Comment

Congrats!
                      Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
                        Congrats, Dre! It's hard to be on this forum wo dipping your toes into tape!
                        Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        Nice!!
                        Originally posted by Asamel View Post
                        Welcome to the club.
                        Originally posted by Madfloyd View Post
                        Congrats!
                        Thanks gentlemen.

Dre

Comment

I don't think the outboard pre has an eq for 30ips and I don't have 30 ips tapes. Really an un-important feature to me....especially with the stock Otari repro amp which is only okay sounding.
                          Ha!

Comment

Playing tapes puts hair on your chest! It took a little while but somehow I think Ki, Mark and I created a monster! I'm waiting for Andre to get a second deck to start doing transfers!
                            How about I enjoy this one for now?

Like most things analog, a second or third or fourth deck will be for evaluation and flavor and observation of performance. Yeah, that's what I'm telling myself...

Dre

Comment

Originally posted by jazdoc View Post

Roar!

Dre
                              **************************************************

Comment

Working...
                              X