Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 AXPONA Show Report: Analog Sources -TAS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2019 AXPONA Show Report: Analog Sources -TAS

    Here is a link to my TAS AXPONA 2019 show report on Analog sources.

    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...nalog-sources/


    Following on the heels of last year’s success, AXPONA 2019 was even more upbeat and enjoyable for showgoers and exhibitors alike...
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day for live music.
    **************************************************

  • #2
    Dre, thanks for the report. Can you elaborate on the Vandersteen/Channel D room, you state they were using the Lynx Hill--presumably between the Seto and Line stage--to incorporate Channel Ds Pure Music Audio Engine? I'm also curious about the DS Audio optical carts, I thought I heard Garth in a video mention you can mix and match DS Audio carts with anyone of their phono eq boxes, they're cross-compatible?
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

    "Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice report. Appreciate all your time and efforts!

      Axpona was so big, it was really difficult to see everything. I regret not seeing the Grand Prix Monaco 2.0. I just missed them in the Exhibitor list. Aesthetically, on the other side of the spectrum, I would have liked to have seen the updated Fern & Roby Tredegar Turntable. I like the look of it. I saw the Tredegar at Axpona in 2018 with what looked like a re-badged Soundsmith Sussuro Cartridge. Very musical & the bass was both tight and tuneful. I enjoyed the show this year; however, 6 hours was not nearly enough time. Thanks for reporting on many of the things I didn't have time to see.
      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Sigma Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Dre, thanks for the report. Can you elaborate on the Vandersteen/Channel D room, you state they were using the Lynx Hill--presumably between the Seto and Line stage--to incorporate Channel Ds Pure Music Audio Engine? I'm also curious about the DS Audio optical carts, I thought I heard Garth in a video mention you can mix and match DS Audio carts with anyone of their phono eq boxes, they're cross-compatible?
        Rob,

        I'm still coming down from land of digital show reporting. (Save the jokes for later...) I'll cross check my notes when I catch my bearings and get back to you on the configuration in that room when it was sounding excellent to me.

        Regarding the DS Audio devices: It is correct that the cartridges and equalizers all use the same interface and are, therefore, compatible with each other.

        Dre
        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day for live music.
        **************************************************

        Comment


        • Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Dre, no joke intended. Nowadays my phono/analog sources gets digitized by my Kii actives at their input and im dead serious when I say im enjoying it. I kinda fancy the Channel D for ripping vinyl.

        • Dre_J
          Dre_J commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob, the jokes were for me. I'm also reporting on Digital Sources in another TAS report. That's why I mentioned I'll get back to you since I had to change hats to finish that report.

          Regarding a Channel D phonostage: You'll see an Equipment Report for me about the new transimpedance input (current-mode) Lino C 2.0 in a future issue of TAS.

        • Kingrex
          Kingrex commented
          Editing a comment
          Dre, Where is your digital report going to be published? Will you post a link please. Thanks

      • #5
        Originally posted by Hawk View Post
        Nice report. Appreciate all your time and efforts!

        Axpona was so big, it was really difficult to see everything. I regret not seeing the Grand Prix Monaco 2.0. I just missed them in the Exhibitor list. Aesthetically, on the other side of the spectrum, I would have liked to have seen the updated Fern & Roby Tredegar Turntable. I like the look of it. I saw the Tredegar at Axpona in 2018 with what looked like a re-badged Soundsmith Sussuro Cartridge. Very musical & the bass was both tight and tuneful. I enjoyed the show this year; however, 6 hours was not nearly enough time. Thanks for reporting on many of the things I didn't have time to see.
        The GPA Monaco 2.0 was in one of the rooms with Rowland Electronics and Vivid speakers. The photo of the Conductor Phonostage in my report is that room. the GPA 'table is just above on the next self (not in the picture). They played a familiar LP for me when I was there listening.

        I still remember seeing the first Tredegar several years ago before it was introduced to the public. It is a unique looking TT. I have a picture that didn't make the show report. I'll post a version of it later when I get the time to do so.

        Dre
        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day for live music.
        **************************************************

        Comment


        • Hawk
          Hawk commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dre

      • #6
        Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

        ...
        I still remember seeing the first Tredegar several years ago before it was introduced to the public. It is a unique looking TT. I have a picture that didn't make the show report. I'll post a version of it later when I get the time to do so.

        Dre
        As promised, here is my picture of the Fern & Roby Tredegar turntable with Schröder Reference SQ taken at AXPONA 2019
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Dre_J-FernAndRoby-Tredegar-AN.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	113363

        Dre


        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        **************************************************
        Every day is a good day for live music.
        **************************************************

        Comment


        • Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          totally outside the box approach...the cast iron plinth and brass ancillaries give off a rough hewn appearance which is the exact opposite of what everyone else is after. I kinda sorta want to hear just for kicks.

      • #7
        Regarding the size of AXPONA, I was delayed on my visit. With only Saturday and Sunday to take it in it seems to me that the exhibitors should be asking for a fourth day beginning next year. I fell so far short of feeling like my visit was complete that even with the third day the show visit would have not been adequate. I didn’t visit the record room at all which probably would have added hours more.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

        Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

        VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

        Piega C711 Loudspeakers

        Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

        Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

        Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

        Comment


        • #8
          Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Dre, thanks for the report. Can you elaborate on the Vandersteen/Channel D room, you state they were using the Lynx Hill--presumably between the Seto and Line stage--to incorporate Channel Ds Pure Music Audio Engine? ...
          Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

          Rob,
          'm still coming down from land of digital show reporting. (Save the jokes for later...) I'll cross check my notes when I catch my bearings and get back to you on the configuration in that room when it was sounding excellent to me.

          Dre
          Rob,

          The system configuration was the TT -> Seta L20 ( using transimpedance current-input mode and linear non-RIAA output mode) -> Lynx HiLo (A/D) -> Channel D Pure Vinyl Software for RIAA and volume control (because no preamp in system) -> Lynx Hilo (D/A) -> Vandersteen System NINE (M7-HPA amps, Model Seven MKII, SUB NINE, etc.).

          Dre
          **************************************************
          Every day is a good day to play analog.
          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
          **************************************************
          Every day is a good day for live music.
          **************************************************

          Comment


          • #9
            I enjoyed your report Andre. It's hard to understand how much effort goes into the show reports unless you have been through it. It's a lot more fun to go to a show without having the responsibility of assignments.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

            Comment


            • Dre_J
              Dre_J commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Well said on attending shows.
          Working...
          X