2019 AXPONA Show Report: Digital Sources -TAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 AXPONA Show Report: Digital Sources -TAS

Here is a link to my TAS AXPONA 2019 show report on Digital sources.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...gital-sources/

"You may ask yourself, why is the person versed in our hobby about analog covering digital? Well that is a good question..."
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

I enjoyed your digital show report Andre. As Myles discovered during his visit with Al, digital is far better sounding than some diehard analog lovers want to believe.
    SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark!

Nice article Andre. I did not spend alot of time listening to digital at Axpona. I missed the Joseph Audio system you mentioned. It sounds like a well put together system. The Aurender A30 is definitely not inexpensive; but it is not crazy priced at $18K. I really liked the Wolf Audio Alpha 3 in the Stillpoints room. I actually liked it better then their analog set- up(Putting on my flame retardant suit as we speak-Ha-ha). The Wolf Alpha 3 XS was $8K
    CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S2 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. The Joseph/Rowland room played well, again. He's doing something right at the shows. The A30 is packed an has a price to go with it. However, as you mentioned, it's not as high as other offerings. Interestingly, the new A100 seems to be priced very reasonably. I missed the Wolf Audio products.

The base Alpha 3 is about $6k. Based on the hardware specs the materials cost is about $2-3k. What does Wolf Audio do to make this a high end unit? I am not saying it should cost what the materials cost. I am just curious what their specialty is in building servers.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• Hawk
      Hawk commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely not an expert on digital. Only basing my comments on the sound at the show. In the Stillpoints room, I thought the Wolf Alpha 3 XS based system had a very nice sound and seemed very easy to use. As mentioned before, I preferred it to the analog in their room. As far as I know, the X stands for Exemplar and the S for Stillpoints. My guess would be that John Tucker made some internal modifications to the Alpha 3 and Stillpoints contributed some of their technology to the package. Sorry I am not of more help. I am more of an analog guy.

Nice report Andre.

The MSB Select II with MSB amplification and Magico M3s had a good showing as well. Room a little small for the system but still impressive; as it should, given its price point.

Also, the Lumin X1 sounded very nice with the new Lumin amplification and Giga speakers. (Full transparency, I own an X1.)

Lastly, I was also impressed with the new Esoteric digital.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I didn't get to make it to the MSB room, unfortunately. Time was short with a dual assignment and nothing new, digitally, was in there.

I too heard the Avantgarde room with the Esoteric front end on Sunday while it was snowing. I sat and listened for a half hour with the gentleman from Avantgarde. I asked to hear a couple of tracks from the group Yelo. It was spectacular. And I’m a vinyl lover. Truly impressive.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

No mention of Bricasti. Odd...
      PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      www.lasercd.com
      www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
        1morerecord2clean commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I saw an AVshowrooms YouTube from that room Ken for what is worth.

Originally posted by lasercd View Post
      No mention of Bricasti. Odd...
      Why?
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        Your perspective is your perspective. I can't change that. I can only give you my reality in this situation.

Besides only having half the show time to cover Digital (as mentioned, I had a dual assignment that included digital being added the night before the show to cover for a colleague), I checked all information from manufactures and reps through AXPONA media contact emails and there was nothing from Bricasti or mentioning Bricasti. I believe AXPONA makes available to all manufactures the contact emails for media coverage. I did not have any emails from Bricasti when I searched for digital product information late Thursday evening (and early Friday morning) before the show or during my searches afterwards.

The bottom line, in this case, is I can't write about what I don't know about. Apparently, I missed the Bricasti DAC but time was short and I had no knowledge of the new device.

If it's any help, there are others I know I missed simply because I had no remaining time. The show was huge.

Dre

• Hawk
        Hawk commented
        Editing a comment
        The show was huge. In 1 day, I barely scratched the surface. To do the whole show justice, you would have to be very selective or have a full week to cover it. I missed the Bricasti room. In the past, I always liked it. They usually show with the Tidal Piano G2. The Tidal Piano G2 is one of my favorite speakers and usually shows very well.
        Last edited by Hawk; 04-30-2019, 02:39 AM.

• Ritmo
        Ritmo commented
        Editing a comment
        I did visit the Bricasti room. Consistent with prior shows, Bricasti used Tidal speakers. Sound was pretty good; considering the size of the rooms.

I should also add that this show was massive with over 190 rooms. I was not able to visit all of the rooms and I was there all three days. There is no way a reviewer would have had the time to visit, listen and take notes across the entire show.

I always hope in some way forum posters or reviewers will have a chance to really sit down and not only listen but compare products. I understand that's all but an impossibility at shows. There are so many really great digital products out there as well as all other audio components. My gravitas just happens to be digital.

Occasionally I've tried to write my musings on digital. It's such a massive topic now. Massive as in, it's so broad and diverse and fairly complex yet easy at the same time. It's really getting to the point where a dedicated book could be written on the subject. The problem being, by the time you finish the publication, the products are fairly outdated. At least I'm finding the basic topology is fleshing itself out and how to get good digital sound is becoming standardized. Not sure a standardized is the right word. Maybe it would be better to say there are some basic installation guidelines to follow that will ensure you're getting the most out of the gear in your place.
      PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Working...
      X