Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ritmo
    commented on 's reply
    I did visit the Bricasti room. Consistent with prior shows, Bricasti used Tidal speakers. Sound was pretty good; considering the size of the rooms.

I should also add that this show was massive with over 190 rooms. I was not able to visit all of the rooms and I was there all three days. There is no way a reviewer would have had the time to visit, listen and take notes across the entire show.

• 1morerecord2clean
    commented on 's reply
    I think I saw an AVshowrooms YouTube from that room Ken for what is worth.

• Kingrex
    replied
    I always hope in some way forum posters or reviewers will have a chance to really sit down and not only listen but compare products. I understand that's all but an impossibility at shows. There are so many really great digital products out there as well as all other audio components. My gravitas just happens to be digital.

Occasionally I've tried to write my musings on digital. It's such a massive topic now. Massive as in, it's so broad and diverse and fairly complex yet easy at the same time. It's really getting to the point where a dedicated book could be written on the subject. The problem being, by the time you finish the publication, the products are fairly outdated. At least I'm finding the basic topology is fleshing itself out and how to get good digital sound is becoming standardized. Not sure a standardized is the right word. Maybe it would be better to say there are some basic installation guidelines to follow that will ensure you're getting the most out of the gear in your place.

Leave a comment:

• Hawk
    commented on 's reply
    The show was huge. In 1 day, I barely scratched the surface. To do the whole show justice, you would have to be very selective or have a full week to cover it. I missed the Bricasti room. In the past, I always liked it. They usually show with the Tidal Piano G2. The Tidal Piano G2 is one of my favorite speakers and usually shows very well.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-30-2019, 02:39 AM.

• Hawk
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely not an expert on digital. Only basing my comments on the sound at the show. In the Stillpoints room, I thought the Wolf Alpha 3 XS based system had a very nice sound and seemed very easy to use. As mentioned before, I preferred it to the analog in their room. As far as I know, the X stands for Exemplar and the S for Stillpoints. My guess would be that John Tucker made some internal modifications to the Alpha 3 and Stillpoints contributed some of their technology to the package. Sorry I am not of more help. I am more of an analog guy.

• Dre_J
    commented on 's reply
    Your perspective is your perspective. I can't change that. I can only give you my reality in this situation.

Besides only having half the show time to cover Digital (as mentioned, I had a dual assignment that included digital being added the night before the show to cover for a colleague), I checked all information from manufactures and reps through AXPONA media contact emails and there was nothing from Bricasti or mentioning Bricasti. I believe AXPONA makes available to all manufactures the contact emails for media coverage. I did not have any emails from Bricasti when I searched for digital product information late Thursday evening (and early Friday morning) before the show or during my searches afterwards.

The bottom line, in this case, is I can't write about what I don't know about. Apparently, I missed the Bricasti DAC but time was short and I had no knowledge of the new device.

If it's any help, there are others I know I missed simply because I had no remaining time. The show was huge.

Dre

• lasercd
    commented on 's reply
    I would have expected any coverage of digital at Axpona would have touched on the Bricasti M1 and new M3 DACs. Perhaps my perspective is skewed.

• Dre_J
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. The Joseph/Rowland room played well, again. He's doing something right at the shows. The A30 is packed an has a price to go with it. However, as you mentioned, it's not as high as other offerings. Interestingly, the new A100 seems to be priced very reasonably. I missed the Wolf Audio products.

• Dre_J
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I didn't get to make it to the MSB room, unfortunately. Time was short with a dual assignment and nothing new, digitally, was in there.

• Dre_J
    replied
    Originally posted by lasercd View Post
    No mention of Bricasti. Odd...
    Why?

Leave a comment:

• lasercd
    replied
    No mention of Bricasti. Odd...

Leave a comment:

• 1morerecord2clean
    replied
    I too heard the Avantgarde room with the Esoteric front end on Sunday while it was snowing. I sat and listened for a half hour with the gentleman from Avantgarde. I asked to hear a couple of tracks from the group Yelo. It was spectacular. And I’m a vinyl lover. Truly impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Ritmo
    replied
    Nice report Andre.

The MSB Select II with MSB amplification and Magico M3s had a good showing as well. Room a little small for the system but still impressive; as it should, given its price point.

Also, the Lumin X1 sounded very nice with the new Lumin amplification and Giga speakers. (Full transparency, I own an X1.)

Lastly, I was also impressed with the new Esoteric digital.

Leave a comment:

• dminches
    replied
    The base Alpha 3 is about $6k. Based on the hardware specs the materials cost is about $2-3k. What does Wolf Audio do to make this a high end unit? I am not saying it should cost what the materials cost. I am just curious what their specialty is in building servers.

Leave a comment:

• Hawk
    replied
    Nice article Andre. I did not spend alot of time listening to digital at Axpona. I missed the Joseph Audio system you mentioned. It sounds like a well put together system. The Aurender A30 is definitely not inexpensive; but it is not crazy priced at $18K. I really liked the Wolf Audio Alpha 3 in the Stillpoints room. I actually liked it better then their analog set- up(Putting on my flame retardant suit as we speak-Ha-ha). The Wolf Alpha 3 XS was $8K

Leave a comment:

Working...
X