Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Jennings Axpona Show Coverage for TAS!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Andre Jennings Axpona Show Coverage for TAS!

    Another Show report

    My show report here:
    TAS coverage of AXPONA 2016: Analog Sources


    Dre
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day for live music.
    **************************************************

  • #2
    Love the artisan fidelity tables!
    Andre, did you hear any details about the new amg arm?

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Chris,

      Yes. Larger bearing housing with all adjustments done using thumb screws for easier access. The release date was set for September of this year.

      I didn't include it in my report since it wasn't in active use and sometimes a static display of a soon-to-be-released item tend to slide the release date at times. I had other items to put in the show report that were actively being used instead.

      Here's a picture of the bearing and thumb screw adjustments: Click image for larger version

Name:	AMG_12JT.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	12171



      Dre
      Last edited by Dre_J; 04-23-2016, 01:02 AM. Reason: slid to slide
      **************************************************
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      **************************************************
      Every day is a good day for live music.
      **************************************************

      Comment


      • #4
        Many thanks Andre!

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Andre,

          Could you a get a realistic impression of the DS Audio's cartridge and phono stage? Any outstanding sonic qualities or is it mostly about the tech?

          david

          Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
          Another Show report

          My show report here:
          TAS coverage of AXPONA 2016: Analog Sources


          Dre
          Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
          Distribution: NEODIO

          Special Sales: van den Hul
          Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

          Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by david k View Post
            Hi Andre,

            Could you a get a realistic impression of the DS Audio's cartridge and phono stage? Any outstanding sonic qualities or is it mostly about the tech?

            david

            Hi David,

            You know how shows can be when trying to judge individual components. However, given the characteristic sound of some of the equipment in the signal chain, I can safely say the DS Master1 cartridge/equalizer's performance was very good and significantly better than what I've heard from the original DS-W1 in three instances (2 being shows and one being an installation I did myself). The entire generator (cantilever, suspension wire, and stylus) has been changed in the Master1 cartridge due, in part, to some consultation/help from some cartridge innards wizards in Japan. By all accounts, this cartridge should be ready to strut it's stuff. I didn't have a single negative in my notes from listening to two music selections I brought with me. Of course, I'll never really know until I get my hands on one and/or listen to it (properly setup) in a known system. It earned my Most Significant Introduction "Best of" based on both the improvements in this technology they have made and the performance at the show. As you know, that price range has stiff competition and I hope the Master1 is up to the challenge. Careful observation is in order, preferably in a known environment, but it didn't disappoint at the show with music I know well when taking the rest of the system's characteristics into account.

            My thought is, if you place the system in this ballpark price range, it needs to be ready to play. Limited listening says it may be. Listening in a known environment will tell if it is.

            Dre
            **************************************************
            Every day is a good day to play analog.
            - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
            - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
            **************************************************
            Every day is a good day for live music.
            **************************************************

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm fully aware of show conditions Andre, what you wrote is perfect and tells me that its worth further investigation, thanks.

              david

              Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

              Hi David,

              You know how shows can be when trying to judge individual components. However, given the characteristic sound of some of the equipment in the signal chain, I can safely say the DS Master1 cartridge/equalizer's performance was very good and significantly better than what I've heard from the original DS-W1 in three instances (2 being shows and one being an installation I did myself). The entire generator (cantilever, suspension wire, and stylus) has been changed in the Master1 cartridge due, in part, to some consultation/help from some cartridge innards wizards in Japan. By all accounts, this cartridge should be ready to strut it's stuff. I didn't have a single negative in my notes from listening to two music selections I brought with me. Of course, I'll never really know until I get my hands on one and/or listen to it (properly setup) in a known system. It earned my Most Significant Introduction "Best of" based on both the improvements in this technology they have made and the performance at the show. As you know, that price range has stiff competition and I hope the Master1 is up to the challenge. Careful observation is in order, preferably in a known environment, but it didn't disappoint at the show with music I know well when taking the rest of the system's characteristics into account.

              My thought is, if you place the system in this ballpark price range, it needs to be ready to play. Limited listening says it may be. Listening in a known environment will tell if it is.

              Dre
              Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
              Distribution: NEODIO

              Special Sales: van den Hul
              Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

              Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
              http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the most interesting show report Dre! I enjoyed it.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by david k View Post
                  I'm fully aware of show conditions Andre, what you wrote is perfect and tells me that its worth further investigation, thanks.

                  david

                  You are welcome David. There is a part of me that would like to hear it in a known environment as well.

                  Originally posted by mep View Post
                  Thanks for the most interesting show report Dre! I enjoyed it.
                  You are welcome Mark. Wish you could have made the trip this year.
                  **************************************************
                  Every day is a good day to play analog.
                  - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                  - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                  **************************************************
                  Every day is a good day for live music.
                  **************************************************

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Me too Dre! I would have rather been in Chicago on Friday then flying back from Norfolk, VA via Atlanta, GA.
                    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice report, Dre!
                      Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X