• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAS: Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20 Graphene Loudspeaker - Equipment Report

Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20 Graphene Loudspeaker
    - Upper Echelon

Equipment report
    by Andre Jennings

My TAS Equipment Report of the Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20 Graphene Loudspeaker is now online here:
    Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20 Graphene Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound

"Joseph Audio seriously caught my attention a few years ago at AXPONA 2017 when I entered the room with a direct copy of Crazy Joe’s The Doctor Is In! 15ips mastertape (thanks Joe!) and another 15ips tape..."

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...ne-loudspeaker

Dre
    Last edited by Dre_J; 01-26-2021, 08:43 PM.
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Nice review Andre, I always liked JJ rooms at shows. Consistently, one of the better rooms show after show to my unprofessional ears. Usually, does tape..
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Nick. I agree on the sound and the show presentation.

I confess to always respecting Joseph Audio at shows but never excited enough to investigate further his speakers. However last year at AXPONA I was bowled over by the Perspective 2s with Graphene. A small footprint speaker with a big footprint performance costing $15K in an audiophile landscape of speakers costing huge dollars and often not sounding so great.I ultimately chose another speaker for my system but I was sufficiently impressed by the Joseph’s that they have been stuck in my mind since.
    TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
    Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, The new Graphene based Perspective 2 did sound excellent at AXPONA 2019.

Nice review Dre. I listened to the previous version of the Pearls at RMAF a few years ago. They sounded very good at the show.

Indeed, Jeff seems to do a really nice job setting up his rooms at shows. Always plays good music.

Comment

• Dre_J
      Dre_J commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mike. I agree of Jeff getting things sounding good with both the speakers and show setups.

Jeff's speakers don't get enough of the limelight. I owned the original Pulsars, still one of the best speakers I've owned. However, for 38k the dogmatic amongst us will want to see machined alu cabinets or the like with bespoke drivers. But the listening is in the pudding and in spite of the conventional approach IMHO Joseph Audio speakers still hang with any speaker regardless of cost/complexity.
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Jeff's speakers don't get enough of the limelight. I owned the original Pulsars, still one of the best speakers I've owned. However, for 38k the dogmatic amongst us will want to see machined alu cabinets or the like with bespoke drivers. But the listening is in the pudding and in spite of the conventional approach IMHO Joseph Audio speakers still hang with any speaker regardless of cost/complexity.
      That (limelight) was part of my reason for interest in writing about them. The Pearl 20/20 Graphene speakers are consistent and well put together for excellent sound. As you mention, they do have a more conventional external look. The finish with the Sapele Pommele wood veneer sides is beautiful..

The nice thing about the line is they do scale with music and hit different price points. The Pearl 20/20 Graphene is pricey but competes, easily with anything at or above its price point, IMO. The Perspective 2 Graphene is really good at around 15k an holds it's own in most room situations and easily does so in a normal sized rooms. Then you have the Pulsar. Like you said it's a great sounding speaker.

I could live with them.

Dre
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Working...
      X