X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAS: Hana E and S Series Moving-Coil Cartridge Equipment Report

Excel Sound Corporation Hana E and S Series Moving-Coil Cartridges
    -Three Very Good Values and One Overachiever

Below is a link to my equipment report on the entire Hana E and S series moving-coil cartridge lineup.

My conclusion was very good performance for the price points and in some cases, far beyond.

Links:
    Excel Sound Corporation Hana E and S Series Moving-Coil Cartridges

The key is carefully considering what to measure and what to listen for during fine adjustments, even after measurements are complete.
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Thanks for sharing Andre. I think the SL will be worth checking out. Nice job on the thorough review.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link to your excellent review Andre!

My buddy just bought the SL version and is very happy with its performance into his Manley Steelhead.
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Thank you Andre! Wonderful to read good reviews of cartridges that appeal to so many due to their price point.
        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Andre, great review, finally a killer cartridge for under 1,000.00. Well done, thanks Jeff

Comment

The Hana cartridges fall in the same price categories as established heavy hitters from Denon, AT and Ortofon SPU Classics, any comments on how they compare?

david
            Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
            Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
            Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by Gusf View Post
              Thanks for sharing Andre. I think the SL will be worth checking out. Nice job on the thorough review.
              Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Thanks for posting the link to your excellent review Andre!

My buddy just bought the SL version and is very happy with its performance into his Manley Steelhead.
              Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
              Thank you Andre! Wonderful to read good reviews of cartridges that appeal to so many due to their price point.
              Originally posted by jeffy View Post
              Andre, great review, finally a killer cartridge for under 1,000.00. Well done, thanks Jeff
              Thanks Guys.

It was quite a bit of work to pull this one off but I think it presented itself well.

Dre

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
                The Hana cartridges fall in the same price categories as established heavy hitters from Denon, AT and Ortofon SPU Classics, any comments on how they compare?

david
                David,

Good question. One I can't answer with the precision I placed on the four Hanas because none of them were in my possession during the review. Globally, I'd gather the Hanas are on par or better in all areas depending on which you choose; the qualification being if they (the Hanas) are the individual's cup of tea.

Globally speaking: The E series Hanas sounds purer and more realistic than my memory of the Denons. The sub-1K AT's I haven't heard in a while and definitely not in my setup. I haven't use an SPU classic in a long while. too long to comment. The Ortofon in the sub-1K category was the Quintet Black that has its challenges with the low output but it was (the boron cantilevered version) an easy recommendation. I don't know or haven't listened to the ruby cantilevered version of the Quintet Black to comment. The S series Hanas are good cartridges that could sound as good or better than some that carry higher MSRPs. The Hana SL, in particular is the kind of cartridge you get and not worry if you are getting your money's worth and then some. Again if they are the individual's cup of tea.

Dre

Comment

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't say if you'd like it specifically, but it is worth a careful listen in a known setup/system. I bought a Hana SL for my sub-1K cartridge that is available today for use in lower-to-high-priced turntable reviews (justifying purchase) as well as just to listen (musical enjoyment).

• david k
                  david k commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I understand Andre, just picking your brain, thanks!

david

• Dre_J
                  Dre_J commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem David. I think you will notice most, if not all, of what I carefully mentioned in the report when you get the opportunity to play with one.

I had the Hana SL in for review about half a year ago.
                It´s a good cartridge but don´t get your hopes to high.
                In my ears it´s not really a killer ...
                I found it lacking in dynamics but as an easy-listening-cartridge it´s spot on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hana SL.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	46270

Comment

Well done Andre! Can not imagine the patience and meticulousness required to perform this type of review. Your impressions match my thoughts upon repeated listens at RMAF. Not life changing but a really good value.

Comment

Originally posted by jazdoc View Post
                  Well done Andre! Can not imagine the patience and meticulousness required to perform this type of review. Your impressions match my thoughts upon repeated listens at RMAF. Not life changing but a really good value.
                  Thanks Mark. I'm happy you enjoyed reading it.

Dre

Comment

I´m sorry Andre for not complementing you on another great text. Well written! (Even if I don´t agree with you entirely ... )
                    Last edited by Per Sundell; 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot a not

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                      Johnny Vinyl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This highlights the importance of reading multiple reviews whenever possible (available).

Originally posted by Per Sundell View Post
                    I´m sorry Andre for not complementing you on another great text. Well written! (Even if I don´t agree with you entirely ... )
                    Thanks Per Sundell. I’m glad you like the text.

Disagreement is ok. I wouldn’t expect everyone to agree with any of my subjective thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Thanks Per Sundell. I’m glad you like the text.

Disagreement is ok. I wouldn’t expect everyone to agree with any of my subjective thoughts.
                      Really, it's a minor miracle when any of us agree on anything audio related.
                      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Again,we are reminded how important it is to check things out for ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X