Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your oldest piece of audio equipment still in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your oldest piece of audio equipment still in use?

The title says it:

What is your oldest piece of audio equipment still in use?

Along with that: Do you still enjoy using it? Feel free to expand on your answers, or say more, if you want to.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

My Studer A80 RC Mk II is from 1980 followed by a SMEV tonearm that I purchased in 1998.

I use them intensively.

The A80 is the best source I have hence why my tape library is growing.

The fate of the SME is sealed and it will be replaced within the coming year.

Comment

Probably my Quad II amps which were sympathetically restored by Bill Thalmann. Based on serial numbers, I date the pair to 1961. My Quad Loudspeakers were built in 1973-4. Hmmm, I got some other old stuff-- but not sure if I can date it, including Decca ribbon tweets (in a box, need to be repaired). Got rid of a bunch of stuff several years ago.

Comment

Thorens TD-124 MKI
        Last edited by Jtycho; 08-04-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

My Ampex ATR-102's date from the late 1970's. I didn't buy them then. My Nakamichi Dragon is from the mid '80s, did buy it then new. My Pacific Microsonics Model Two is from around the turn of the century (maybe fin de siecle) as are my Avantagarde Duos and Cary 2A3 Signature Mono Block amps. Again I bought those all used.

Larry
          Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
          Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
          Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
          Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
          Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
          Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
          Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

My pair of Ampex 350 repros. They were made in the late 1950s and were dated and signed by the guy that built them.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

My Cotter mk.2L SUT dates back to the early 80’s, but I am not the original owner, having purchased it for $100 some time in the early 2000’s. I AM the proud original owner of an SME IV tonearm from 1988, which sees daily use on an SME turntable that is 17 years its junior. I love them both.
              SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Koetsu Blavk Goldline, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, Naim cd 3.5 2/ flatcap 2, Audioengine D2 WiFi dac (for streaming from iMac desktop), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signature, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, S3 (cd player), SL3 (dac), MIT StyleLink Plus usb, Shotgun S1 speaker cable with AQ jumpers, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Burson Soloist, Focal Elear with Silver Dragon wire or Hifiman HE560 with clone ZMF Universe sheepskin pads and Furutech/Mogami wire, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

• Nscohen17
                Nscohen17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Any time you’re in the neighborhood, Myles...
                🙂

• jonathanhorwich
                jonathanhorwich commented
                Editing a comment
                Is the Cotter that turntable with the blue material as part of the plinth?

• Nscohen17
                Nscohen17 commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine is just the step up transformer, not the tt, but yes, all the Cotter stuff I’ve seen has that velvety blue finish.

My LP12. Bought new in 1984 and in continuous use ever since. Everything else in my system has changed since then, but I have no plans to replace the Linn.
              Steve Lefkowicz
              Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
              -
              Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
              Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
              Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
              Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
              Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
              Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
              Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
              Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
              Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                Is it still the 1984 version of the Linn, or have you done some of the many upgrades since then?

• Steve Lefkowicz
                Steve Lefkowicz commented
                Editing a comment
                The only upgrade have been to swap the Valhalla for the MOSE/Hercules II power supply. Still pre-Cikus, original Ittok. Regular maintenance and tender loving care has been it.

tubes from the 1930's....

Comment

Marantz Consolettes ~1956
                Marantz Model 2~ 1956
                Quad II 196?
                Futterman H3 1963
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  its hard to believe the Consolettes debuted in '52.

Probably my Revox B77 Mk II. I use it every week. LOVE it. I have had it for maybe 5-6 years but last year it was completely restored by Marc Bischoff and it really sings now 😁

I also have and use daily a fully restored Pioneer SX-1980 from 1978 or 9, and I love it too!
                TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Marantz 8b, ca. 1961 or thereabouts

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Sadly, I don't have any purchases older than 10 years. However, I do have a Studer A810 I got from Ki... had I gotten one when they originally came out, I would never have sold it.

There is a lot of gear I regret selling such as my Quad ESL63/Entec SW1 (tweaked by Damien Martin) system with Audio Research SP6B/D90 (tweaked by Johnson) driven by Linn LP12/Syrinx/Supex and Music Hose speaker cables... (I still have the Supex though)

Comment

My Marantz Model 20B FM tuner dates to 1971, I bought it in the 90's and had it overhauled. Still in service. My second oldest, and much more used, is my head amp, the Electrocompanier MC-II . Its from 1986 but I got it and repaired in the late 90's. User adjustable load and gain.
                      Last edited by JCOConnell; 08-04-2019, 11:22 AM.
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Well my highly modded Klipsch Khorns are from the year 1977, I have a Tascam BR 20 T a Studer A810 an Otari MX 5050 BII an MTR 10-II, and I stll use a Scott tuner from 1960...

Comment

Working...
                        X