Seriously, Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, Are you happy?

I'll possibly have more to say but I wanted to get this out to you and start the conversation.

Are you happy with your audio system?

Are you happy enough that you can enjoy your music (whatever the genre or multiple genre) without ever changing a single thing?

Seriously, can you go without changing a single thing? Are you there yet?

This is fairly open ended. So, you can take it anywhere you want.

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

This reminds me of my Rennlist days, the Porsche owner's forum. whenever a noob or someone with restricted funds asked for advice they'd get some version of "the best Porsche is the one in your driveway." makes sense but quickly falls on deaf ears. More than audiophiles, I think serious cars guys constantly change makes and models and its not a question of whether they're happy, its the journey.
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      This reminds me of my Rennlist days, the Porsche owner's forum. whenever a noob with limited funds asked for advice they'd get some version of "the best Porsche is the one in your driveway." makes sense but quickly falls on deaf ears. More than audiophiles, I think serious cars guys constantly change makes and models and its not a question of whether they're happy, its the journey.
      Gotcha on that driveway association.

I know you've been in this long enough to know that everyone isn't in it for the journey of experiencing and/or swapping gear. Like you, I've witnessed many get frustrated later on and throw in the towel.

I try to tell new guys and frustrated "veterans" to first find your core: what you want out of the hobby, and establish a baseline. Once that is solid, have fun but know you have a core to return to. (That usually falls on deaf ears too!)

That aside, I'm curious to read the responses. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dre
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        you are letting me off too easy I accept there's a certain degree of neuroticism involved, if that's what you are suggesting. I get along with gearheads of all stripes, birds of a feather and all that...

• Dre_J
        Dre_J commented
        Editing a comment
        Not at all. No suggestions, just my straight words. I've never even considered you that way, Rob. Still don't.

I know you like to "play" and you've been around the block. So, there is no chance of you not having your "core" fully intact.

I know it is far from where I would ideally like it to be, but I love it just the same. When I can forget the hours and just sit back and sing along to the tunes, it has done its job.

Sometimes it's the Beatles, sometimes it's Paul Simon, maybe Queen or it could be Bob Seger but it doesn't matter. It just makes me forget the time and I start to sing along.

Then I feel better about everything. That's what music is for.

Ed
      Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
      https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
      Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
      Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
      Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
      Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
      Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
      Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
      Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
      Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Very timely post. For awhile now I've been very happy with my gear, but have known that it could sound better. I've spent the last few weeks moving my speakers 1/2"-1" at a time learning how they interact with the room and trying to find that magical placement where it all seems to come together. I'm probably not exactly there yet, but I have to say that I'm close enough for now that I listen and just enjoy for longer and longer periods of time before getting up and moving something. To my ears I'm in a pretty good place right now.
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
        Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
        Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
        SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
        Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
        Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
        Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
        Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
        Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
        Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
        Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
        Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
        CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
        Streamer/Server: Aurender N20 to Bricasti M1 DAC, EtherREGEN, Farad Super3 PS w/ Level 2 DC Cable, Sablon Audio Ethernet Cable
        Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
        Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
        Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• rbbert
          rbbert commented
          Editing a comment
          Compared to constant gear swappers and upgraders, you sound pretty happy to me

• timztunz
          timztunz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I feel extremely fortunate.

Having spent the last 4 yrs selling old gear that I felt was dated compared to more recent designs which I heard at shows, that relates to Andre’s other question posted today, I have replaced most everything and I’m very happy only looking to refine through trial and error in tweaks what I have. So for example a friend who is a Furutech dealer recently told me about and let me audition the Furutech NCF Booster Braces after he auditioned them. An astounding improvement to the system in clarity. By high end audio standards a cheap tweak that really works and has a dramatic effect on performance. Now I’m auditioning the Harmonix record weight and platter mat. Stereo Unlimited in San Diego has loaned the combo to me and I am listening over the weekend. This one isn’t so cheap but what I am hearing is very good and might lead to a purchase later this year. As indicated, just system refinements.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
        Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Let me put it this way...

I haven’t changed my speakers in almost 20 years. I haven’t changed my preamp in 13 years. I haven’t changed my amps in 15 years. My source components have changed a bit in that period, but mainly the cartridges and DACs, which I’ve changed mainly out of necessity.

I’m always happy when I’m in the sweet spot.
          TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
          VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
          DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
          SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
          AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• timztunz
            timztunz commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s hard to ask for more than that.

I'm 100% happy, done, blown away every listening session. Hope I never have to go back to a smaller room though.
          SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
          DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
          PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
          PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
          AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
          SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
          CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

I am 100% happy with my system and will not be changing anything about it at all. It has been as is for two years now I love the sound and look forward to each session!!!

Comment

Sometimes I'm happy. - I am continuously tweaking as I am admittedly a gear head. I love the engineering part of it and trying to second guess designs or build my iterations by challenging them. Kind of one of the reasons I got into this crazy hobby.

I had a reviewer here last year along with a dealer for some very expensive and well regarded electronics and speakers - they said it was a top 5 system they've heard in their travels.
              What did I do?- I tried to make it better- I think I spoiled it and just now it is getting back. Can't leave well enough alone. It is an illness. We all live within an envelope of possibility with finances, priorities and physical limitations. Wrap that up with our "version" of the illusion and we try to stay happy.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
              Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
              Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
              Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
              Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
              Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

seriously; i am happy with my system. maybe ecstatic. but it's not because i was typically satisfied. it's because i'm planning on retiring in a couple of years so i've just completed a number of 'end-game' changes and additions. i'm at the very end of a long road.

2 years ago i added my 3rd RTR deck and upgraded my digital to a very high level. then during the last year i've added 2 turntables, arms, cartridges, phono stage and SUT's. last week i got my 'end game' mono cartridge, then in a couple of weeks i have a phono cable arriving........and that.....is.....it.

now it's just buying vinyl, the occasional tape, and enjoying the streaming services i subscribe to.

so yes; no gear dreams in my head, or system or room changes either.

just enjoying music.

added note; i have had the same brand electronics (amp and pre), and speakers for 15 years........the same turntable for 9 years, and my tapes decks for 12, 8 and 3 years.....all the same model. so i'm not wishy-washy on system anchors. i know what i like. 2 years ago i did bring in some heavy hitter tube amps to challenge my amps, but it passed the test. i like lots of gear and try to keep an open mind and open ears; but love what i have......for me and my system.
                https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Referring to my comment above about auditioning the Harmonix Cobak TT mat and weight the end of the year came quickly. I purchased it. Not a Psychologically comfortable thing in the middle of Covid and so much uncertainty but if the world crashes the extra few $thou won’t Mean anything. ITMT it’s a gorgeous sounding mat and weight. Lots of happy listening ahead.
                  TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                  Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                    I'll possibly have more to say but I wanted to get this out to you and start the conversation.

Are you happy with your audio system?

Are you happy enough that you can enjoy your music (whatever the genre or multiple genre) without ever changing a single thing?

Seriously, can you go without changing a single thing? Are you there yet?

This is fairly open ended. So, you can take it anywhere you want.

Dre
                    Yes, absolutely happy
                    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC & Yggy2 Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

I'm always happy with what I put together and when ever I turn it on.
                      Will I not ever buy anything else? no, does what I do buy and try have to beat what I already have? no.

My main system actually has three power amps and speaker combinations, so depending on the music, I have built in selection.
                      McIntosh C100, MC275 Mk VI x2, MC 501, D100, Marantz PMD580
                      SOTA Star Sapphire x3, SME Series V x2, SME 309
                      Sumiko Blackbirds & EVO III, SOTA Head Amps x3

Comment

This might sound odd, since I have probably the most modest system in this group, but I'm totally happy with how my system sounds. Does't mean i wouldn't find it fun to get some different gear, but I if I had to simply stay with what I have now I've no problem with that. Of course some things will wear out and need to be replaced, like the cartridge, and the notebook I use as a server. but if my situation meant I had to live with what I have now i'd be good with that. If I want variety I can always swap out the various speakers and amps that I have in house. Even as it is, every few months my wife asks me to put "her Maggies" back in for a while.
                        Last edited by Steve Lefkowicz; 08-04-2020, 02:23 AM.
                        Steve Lefkowicz
                        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                        -
                        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
                        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
                        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
                        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
                        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
                        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
                        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
                        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Working...
                        X