No announcement yet.

Seriously, Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy with the foundation but I like to tweak a little. I still mess with power to get it as good as can be. I may want to try a different driver in my horn one day. Maybe a cable change here or there. I mess with isolation from time to time. Of late I find my setup stunning to listen too. To me, its much better than the Wilson + SS power amp systems I hear a lot. I built what I like to match the music I listen too.
    PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
      seriously; i am happy with my system. maybe ecstatic. but it's not because i was typically satisfied. it's because i'm planning on retiring in a couple of years so i've just completed a number of 'end-game' changes and additions. i'm at the very end of a long road.

I went into your Audiogon system page. Very through. No stone unturned. The page and your system.
      PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

• Mike Lavigne
        Mike Lavigne commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you Rex.

for my personal direction, i'm as far down the road as i care to go. and with all the crap in the world right now, i can bury myself in listening and forget about it.

System wise I would say yes for sure. I have just one upgrade to go, from my L1/X1 and M1s to the upcoming L10 and M10s.

My only problem is this darned pandemic being a public servant aside from a businessman. I just can't sit still even if there is nothing to do. I'm constantly looking at my phone and computer. I think I need a shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
        I'll possibly have more to say but I wanted to get this out to you and start the conversation.

Are you happy with your audio system?
        What's love errr.... happiness have to do with it?

Are you happy enough that you can enjoy your music (whatever the genre or multiple genre) without ever changing a single thing?

Seriously, can you go without changing a single thing? Are you there yet?

This is fairly open ended. So, you can take it anywhere you want.

Dre
        I think it's a fair question and there are no right or wrong answers. You can be into the music, into the equipment or both.

What is problematic is the negativity that too often permeates the hobby. The dogmatic and narrow minded views. Sadly what originally started out as evaluating the sound of equipment has transformed into audiophiles only being able to hear the negative aspects of a system or components (s). The glass half empty rather than half full.

Me? I'm amazed sometimes at just how good my system can sound. Guess that makes me happy. How much it reveals about the two arts:

1) The music and playing
        2) The recording

But it also gives me a thrill to hear different components (part of why I'm a reviewer I suppose) and I really enjoy hearing how far the best designers can push their craft. To see where the limitations of the system lies eg. the recording or the equipment. For example, I think many of us have learned that we have far from extracted everything that lies inside the record groove.

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
        -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
          1morerecord2clean commented
          Editing a comment
          What really amazes me is not just component changes. The amazement is in exactly where in the chain the weaknesses are and how much the system can improve if you try to zero in on the deficiencies. Example is the use of Furutech Booster Braces. These seemingly simple devices, relatively inexpensive, reduced distortion throughout the system to a very high degree. Also the Combak-Harmonix TT mat and weight I recently purchased, not so inexpensive, have transformed my analog playback.

I can say I’m happy with my system... I grew up with Harmon Kardon (entry level), Sansui, Sanyo, NAD, Genesis speakers (the ones from NH). Would I like to try a few changes, sure I would. The biggest change would be a different turntable and that still may happen
        Amp - McIntosh MC402
        Pre - McIntosh C2300
        Phono - JE Audio HP10
        TT - VPI Prime (2 3D Arms and Victor UA-7045)
        CD - AMR CD777
        R2R - Pioneer RT 1020L
        Speakers - PMC OB1i’s or Aerial Acoustics Model 8’s

Comment

Funny you should ask the question. I asked myself that question tonight about an hour ago. I am definitely happy with the SQ of my system. I'm still willing to delve deeper into the audio rabbit hole but if nothing was ever swapped out of my system in favour of something new I wouldn't feel shortchanged. I'm fully satisfied.

"I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Exposure 2010 S2

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands

Cabling: Handmade interconnects, Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

What's love errr.... happiness have to do with it?

I think it's a fair question and there are no right or wrong answers. You can be into the music, into the equipment or both.

What is problematic is the negativity that too often permeates the hobby. The dogmatic and narrow minded views. Sadly what originally started out as evaluating the sound of equipment has transformed into audiophiles only being able to hear the negative aspects of a system or components (s). The glass half empty rather than half full.

Me? I'm amazed sometimes at just how good my system can sound. Guess that makes me happy. How much it reveals about the two arts:

1) The music and playing
            2) The recording

But it also gives me a thrill to hear different components (part of why I'm a reviewer I suppose) and I really enjoy hearing how far the best designers can push their craft. To see where the limitations of the system lies eg. the recording or the equipment. For example, I think many of us have learned that we have far from extracted everything that lies inside the record groove.

Those are good personal observations and thoughts to share about the glass half-empty vs. half-full, your system satisfaction, and continuous advancement of the hobby.

I believe a system that keeps the owner happy and listening to music is golden. From there, exploration can be fun but there is something to say about always having a known-good and comfortable home base to come back to.

Dre
            Every day is a good day to play analog.
            - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
            - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
            Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Those are good personal observations and thoughts to share about the glass half-empty vs. half-full, your system satisfaction, and continuous advancement of the hobby.

I believe a system that keeps the owner happy and listening to music is golden. From there, exploration can be fun but there is something to say about always having a known-good and comfortable home base to come back to.

Dre
              maybe someone can relate to this. There was a time when I had a system with 28 vacuum tubes in it (power and small signal), electrostatic speakers and a finicky turntable that sucked and blew air all at he same time. I was trilled if I could just get through a listening session without a minor failure of some kind. Try trouble shooting tube problems in that scenario or was that 'fart' discharge from built up static on the panels? maybe my arm is miss tracking again? contaminated airline? it never ended. So yes, the glass half full can take on other meanings as well.
              Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

maybe someone can relate to this. There was a time when I had a system with 28 vacuum tubes in it (power and small signal), electrostatic speakers and a finicky turntable that sucked and blew air all at he same time. I was trilled if I could just get through a listening session without a minor failure of some kind. Try trouble shooting tube problems in that scenario or was that 'fart' discharge from built up static on the panels? maybe my arm is miss tracking again? contaminated airline? it never ended. So yes, the glass half full can take on other meanings as well.
                I know someone who still operates in this manner to this very day. Something in the system always needs attention. It seems like self-torture to me but he loves it. I goes to show this hobby consists of varied interests for sure.

Dre
                Every day is a good day to play analog.
                - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

I'm as happy as I can be, unless someone wants to fund to me a amp, DAC and speaker update and then I will be extremely happy.
                  Chris
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Yes I am. Life is too short to complain and this is just a hobby. The glass is definitely more than half-full.

My two systems are bringing me joy. There are certainly ways to improve them but I don’t have any frustration for not doing this right away (better cartridge, fancier cables, etc.). I recently made some incremental upgrades by adding SUTs into the mix which has further reduced the gap between tape and vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                    X