What is your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite?

What is you favorite component in your audio system? Why?

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

My phono cartridge...it is the source of so much music listening pleasure.
    Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
    https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
    Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
    Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
    Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
    Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
    Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
    Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
    Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
    Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

It’s tough for me to pick just one, but given the mandate, I’ll say it’s my JBL 4345 speakers. No matter the upstream components you have, it’s up to the speakers to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. The 4345s bring music to life better than any speakers I have ever owned.
      Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        You should talk more about your JBLs. I'd like to know more.

• jonathanhorwich
        jonathanhorwich commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I agree with Myles. Tell all and pictures maybe.

Turntable. It's simple, easy to adjust my liking, and it lets me know right away if my software is up to snuff.

Comment

Easy. #1 is My Linn LP12. It's been with me since 1984, always worked perfectly, and always a source of joy and beautiful music. #2 would be my Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S amplifier. It's about 20 years old, and when mated to the right speakers is all the amp I could ever need.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

My 6000 odd records. Without these, no point in owning a system.

Comment

• Dre_J
            Dre_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Shane! Technically, that's 6000 components.

Maggie 1.7i speakers followed by my Clearaudio Concerto v2 cart.
          Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Took many years to pick each one, so you know I'm done, buying any new audio stuff.

Comment

Can't pick one.
              SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
              DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
              PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
              PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
              AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
              SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
              CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

• Dre_J
                Dre_J commented
                Editing a comment
                Eeny, meeny, miney, moe,...?

I know it's a tough question for everyone to answer --especially when the audio system is running smoothly on all cylinders. I have to really think about this too.

Given I have three sources (vinyl, tape, and digital) plus the pre, amp, and speaker (with a quad spread of dialed in subs), it is tough to pick just one.

The vinyl has an array of cartridges (seven), tables (two), tonearms (five), and phonostages (five) to choose from. It's tough but I do have two cartridges that are benchmarks for nipping at the heals of tapes when paired with the proper companion phono components. That's no small feat, IMO.

My speaker/sub combination has always brought me joy for years. It is the baseline from which everything emerges.

The tape decks (six) all play great. Five are 15ips capable and four are 30ips capable. The 15/30ips units are the benchmark for the system: with the right tapes. They all can bring smiles and satisfaction to the listening experience; yet, like the vinyl, I have a favorite for playback.

So, how do I pick? I could say I don't or can't but that means I don't want to choose one. I can't do that, can I? After all, I started this thread.

This boils down to my transducers (my favorite part of this hobby when not engaged in music). Do I pick a cartridge, a tape deck, or the speaker/subs combo? (Note: while my music is very important to me (It has to be), it's not a component in the system as I envisioned the post topic.)

The tape deck plays great with great tapes, the cartridges play great with great phono companions and great vinyl, and the speaker/sub combo shows off what the front-end can do.

So what's it going to be? I can't choose.

Oh wait, I got it. Give me a second to get this right... "Eeny, meeny, miney, moe,Catch a tiger by the toe, If he hollers, let him go, Eeny, meeny, miney, moe..."

While it could have been any of the components I mentioned, it looks like my very scientifically rigorous selection process landed on one of my cartridges: The Lyra Titan i

That was hard.

Dre

Last edited by Dre_J; 08-01-2020, 12:34 PM.
              Every day is a good day to play analog.
              - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
              - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
              Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Impossible for me to answer because I rebuilt the system piece by piece in the last 4 years and I know what each component has meant to the whole. I can only narrow my answer to 3. My VTL preamp, my Piega loudspeakers, my Turntable which of course is an amalgam of parts. Loving my Ortofon Windfeld Ti. Hmmmm. Actually if I had to choose just one it might be my Symposium Rack which is the foundation of the system and from which every component benefits. The rack has it!
                TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

That’s easy - my Studer A807. Love everything about it - looks, form, function, sound.
                  TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                  VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
                  DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
                  SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
                  AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Difficult to say, probably my Beveridge electrostatic speakers because they throw such a unique presentation and are a part of audio history. I have tons of vintage that I love but I think I am ready to give up some of the classic Marantz and others in the next while- I do appreciate the vintage vibe.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                    Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	perfect.jpg Views:	1 Size:	195.0 KB ID:	140251
                      hummm?

if i really, really think about it......what is the one item that is irreplaceable? that i look forward to every session?

my Relax-the-Back zero-gravity 'perfect' chair. this spring it had it's 21 year birthday (new in 1999) in my system. they do not make it anymore, and if this one ever breaks i will have it rebuilt for sure. it's a 'tall', 'narrow' version with visco-elastic memory foam. if i pull a muscle or even am just feeling poorly, a few hours in my chair seems to cure anything.

that picture is in my old room from 2001.

i pull it over to the side when i have visitors since it has a high back (and slide in a Cassina K10 dodo as a replacement in the sweet spot). and everyone always wants to sit in it as the perfect chair 'looks' comfortable, i have to caution them to sit down carefully so they don't stress the frame. there is a particular method to sit down and get 'out' of it. i never change the angle.

if i had to choose something in my signal path it would be my (1) new this year dart 468 mono's, (2) my MM7's, and (3) my pair of Etsuro Gold cartridges.

but my butt loves my chair. there is no substitute!
                      Attached Files
                      https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

my CJ PV10B preamp. Since I heavily modified it, its more versatile and sounds better too.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                        X