No announcement yet.

What is your favorite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess its my Quad ESL 57's, I'm on my 4th pair. I'd sell them then buy another pair, its neuroses exemplified.
    Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      I am on my 4th set as well. People either beg to buy them once I redo them or I get tired of them and then realize I've done a stupid thing and have to re-purchase!

• Rob
      Rob commented
      Editing a comment
      and as you know, attrition takes its toll and as the years go by vintage pieces in nice cond. become harder and harder to find, hence the tendency to hoard. I don't actively search it out, it somehow finds me

Think I like everyone wrestled and wrestled with this question.

Like Mark in post #11, I've come to realize that our systems are only as good as the weakest link. Of course, my first reaction (as I am sure a few others) was to choose one of my two front-ends or speakers. But with a little more reflection I decided to select my newly acquired Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amplifier. Why? Amplifiers have the most challenging role (maybe outside of the phonostage). It's no small feat to be able to properly drive and control a wide and diverse list of speakers. Bringing out everything that the speaker can do. While at the same time dealing with finicky to drive speakers with sometime unpredictable interactions. The Goldmund Telos 280 has most of all reminded me is that there is driving a speaker and then driving a speaker. While my cj ART300 sounded wonderful especially in the midrange region on the Magicos, the Goldmunds really maximize and bring out the Magico's strengths, in particular their settling time, frequency extremes, soundstage, resolution and control. I never cease to be amazed by how transparent and dynamic these amplifier are either just bringing with them an incredible, unstrained sense of ease to the music.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Interesting results so far proving the old adage if you ask 12 audiophiles a question, you'll get 12 different answers. So far the leading favorite component is speakers (not a surprise) trailed in second place by cartridges.

C'mon. Know everyone is something in their system that they are proud of or particularly like!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I will choose my Zanden 1200 phono stage. After I bought the first one (the Mk2 version) approx. 12 years ago, I was never again interested in anything else. Later bought the Mk3 and currently waiting for the Signature. Never say never but think I will never buy anything else.
        Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive been interested in the Zanden 1200 Mk III, the only thing stopping me is the high-ish output impedance of 3k ohm, but I noticed their line stage has an input impedance of only 10k ohm (?)

• Marcus
          Marcus commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that’s correct. Before I bought the 3000 Line stage I had conrad-johnson Premier 17, CT5 and GAT and all combinations worked perfectly. I also heard it with Karan line stages and integrated amps, again no problems.

• Marcus
          Marcus commented
          Editing a comment
          One more interesting thing. I know three owners of Zanden 1200 Mk3 and we had a debate in the past about this very question. Everyone picket this phono stage as their favorite component of the system.

Answering the precise question posed-my mid-1960s vintage Mcintosh MC275. It's not the "best" sounding component to my ears but it is the one I've built everything else around. It has been a wonderful life partner; loyal, durable, reliable, beautiful to the eye and the soul.

Comment

My vinyl rig for sure as that's where it all starts.
          "I'm...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective"...Bill Evans

LP playback: Ariston RD 11 Superieur, Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, Dynavector DV DRT XV-1s, Valab LCR MkIII, Target wall-mounted turntable shelf

Amplification: Luxman L-550A II

Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805 on sand-filled Atacama stands, B&W ASW600 subs (stacked 2x2)

Cabling: inexpensive knockoff interconnects, Audio Sensibility Testaments (spkr)

Comment

My favorite component is my phono preamp. My Aesthetix Io Signature was the last component added and has been a great addition providing the greatest increase in listening pleasure.

Comment

If it's ok to say the whole vinyl rig I will. If I have to pick from that the table, arm or cartridge it gets much more difficult.

But this is a great thread, seeing what everyone finds important.
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
              Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
              Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
              SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
              Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
              Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
              Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
              Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
              Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
              Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
              Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
              Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
              CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
              Streamer/Server: Aurender N20 to Bricasti M1 DAC, EtherREGEN, Farad Super3 PS w/ Level 2 DC Cable, Sablon Audio Ethernet Cable
              Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
              Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
              Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Well I start by saying my Redpoint Model D TT is my pride and joy coupled with a Soundsmith cartridge (Sotto Voce) and Triplanar arm but, since getting my two MTR 10's and with special tapes they have easily become my favorites in my system!!! Tough choice my system is tri amped and the speakers and subs are awesome but, the source of the music is where it's at...

Comment

Working...
                X