Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you put your system together for one or two types of music?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Did you put your system together for one or two types of music?

    Is your music system geared (no pun intended) to one or two types of music?

    Did you put it together with specific types of music you like as a priority? If so, what are they?

    Is your system put together for multiple types of music playback but excels in the areas of music you feel are more important to you, personally? Any examples?

    What was/is you goal for the system you put together in terms of music playback? (certain types, certain styles, etc.)

    Dre
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    **************************************************
    Every day is a good day for live music.
    **************************************************

  • #2
    Hi Dre

    I'd like to think that I've chosen and worked with the pieces I have to be good at everything I like to play, which covers most genres.... HOWEVER....

    I would love to build a system to play Jazz, specifically Bop and Hard Bop. I'd like to have the balance that exaggerates the mid and lower octaves of the upright bass. That would also make upright pianos sound bigger. Basically a thick but fast (but not overdamped) sound to highlight rhythm and tempo changes both aurally and viscerally. It would have a arm with a mono cart for sure. For the mids I'd like enough clarity to hear the crackle of ceramic mics of old but also deliver the creaminess of vintage condenser and ribbons.

    Imaging would not be a priority but rather feel. It would be exaggerated to the extent that classical would probably never be played on it. I do't imagine being i the middle of an orchestra instead of in front of it would be much fun. I still think this system would be great after a really hard friggin day with my beverage of choice in one hand. heck maybe even a cigar in the other.

    I am always on the judicious side when setting up a system precisely because these have to do well across the board. Limiting to subsets of a genre however ironically I think would allow me to be self indulgent LOL

    I'm thinking the speakers would be OB 15" paper woofers maybe FRs but helped up top with a bullet or a ribbon for some sparkle. Tubes for amplification, likely big triodes fed by octals. Autobias. keep the Fluke in the drawer. I'd still use a TechDAS, just can't live without one anymore. I'd probably use an EMT Banana arm but would have to figure out what cart to use. EMT and Ortofons are top of mind. I would finally take up DDK's generous offer on WEs and use a Lamm LP2. It would likely be analog only just because I would want it as bare and basic as possible. 4 or 5 power switches and a volume knob please.

    Fun imagining. I like this game

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JackD201 View Post
      Hi Dre

      I'd like to think that I've chosen and worked with the pieces I have to be good at everything I like to play, which covers most genres.... HOWEVER....

      I would love to build a system to play Jazz, specifically Bop and Hard Bop. I'd like to have the balance that exaggerates the mid and lower octaves of the upright bass. That would also make upright pianos sound bigger. Basically a thick but fast (but not overdamped) sound to highlight rhythm and tempo changes both aurally and viscerally. It would have a arm with a mono cart for sure. For the mids I'd like enough clarity to hear the crackle of ceramic mics of old but also deliver the creaminess of vintage condenser and ribbons.

      Imaging would not be a priority but rather feel. It would be exaggerated to the extent that classical would probably never be played on it. I do't imagine being i the middle of an orchestra instead of in front of it would be much fun. I still think this system would be great after a really hard friggin day with my beverage of choice in one hand. heck maybe even a cigar in the other.

      I am always on the judicious side when setting up a system precisely because these have to do well across the board. Limiting to subsets of a genre however ironically I think would allow me to be self indulgent LOL

      I'm thinking the speakers would be OB 15" paper woofers maybe FRs but helped up top with a bullet or a ribbon for some sparkle. Tubes for amplification, likely big triodes fed by octals. Autobias. keep the Fluke in the drawer. I'd still use a TechDAS, just can't live without one anymore. I'd probably use an EMT Banana arm but would have to figure out what cart to use. EMT and Ortofons are top of mind. I would finally take up DDK's generous offer on WEs and use a Lamm LP2. It would likely be analog only just because I would want it as bare and basic as possible. 4 or 5 power switches and a volume knob please.

      Fun imagining. I like this game
      That's sensible thinking, Jack.

      Like you, I want the main setup to be able to play all sorts of music genres and styles. Given my desire to explore music and my hobby of reviewing, they both dovetail nicely together. That system sets a foundation or bedrock that grounds my listening.

      On another note, I've considered (more often than I'd like) building a small system around a completely rebuilt set of Quad ESL-63. While I really enjoy the ESL-57, it's the coherence of the ESL-63 that captures my attention. Obviously, this system would be genre limited from a macro dynamics perspective in addition to the frequency extremes --some of those low-frequency limitations can be mitigated with a proper (not easy) sub integration; The highs? maybe a non-direct firing tweeter for ambiance but not too much to dilute the ESL-63's excellent coherence and beauty. I'd use tape (my Stellavox SP7 would go great in this app) and vinyl (maybe a vacuum unit from Basis Audio, SOTA, or your TT favorite). Amps and preamp would be the "exploration" part of that little system.

      BTW: While probably too much for the limited systems, EMT JSD 6 and JSD Platinum are excellent sounding cartridges.

      Dre

      Until I make space in another room, I'll continue to consider more than I should...
      **************************************************
      Every day is a good day to play analog.
      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
      **************************************************
      Every day is a good day for live music.
      **************************************************

      Comment


      • JackD201
        JackD201 commented
        Editing a comment
        The JSDs would negate the need for an SME mount adaptor for the overhang too! Why didn't I think of that?

        That would mean The JPA gets called back into service and I'm back with A LOT of knobs LOL Hello Mr. Tweakhead!

    • #4
      I would never build/voice a system for any particular genre, because I have varied interests. One constant is that the system has to handle what I term as "large music" meaning orchestral and rock with believable scale. If the system does that well, then it will also handle "small music" at least reasonably well meaning I can enjoy some of my favored female performers.

      I wouldn't be limited to a one trick pony system any more than I would be limited to one genre or performer,

      Comment


      • #5
        My music collection has evolved taste-wise but I wouldn't say my system requirements followed suit. I do have a collection of gear that's not in the system that gets put into rotation when i get bored or just want to mix things up. I tried living with Quads both 63s and 57s as my only speaker and I cant go back to that.
        Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

        "Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

        Comment


        • #6
          Quite the opposite for me. I listen across multiple genres and need a system that can play whatever I throw at it. I don't like it when my system directs me towards certain types of music.
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          -
          Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
          Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
          Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
          Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
          Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
          Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
          Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
          Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
          Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

          Comment


          • #7
            My system was put together using mostly music I listen to all my life but, when i got serious about it and started measuring everything things changed a bit. So now I listen to all music across a flat frequency response aided by room treatment and solid measurements... It doesn't matter what genre it is now it is basically flat in my room, there is a slight bump at the low end about 3 db and about a 3db cut at the high end...

            Comment


            • #8
              Not really intentionally...but I listen to about 80% rock and 20% jazz, so I guess by default. That said, I listen to a VERY wide variety of rock, so I don’t really feel like my system is tuned to a specific kind of music.
              TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
              VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
              DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
              SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
              AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

              Comment


              • #9
                Two bedrooms - one system so it has to do it all. However it defaults to long term listening and being very musical in the “live” sense.
                TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter matte & weight; Arcam R Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

                Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

                VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
                Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

                Piega C711 Loudspeakers

                Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

                Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

                Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

                Comment


                • #10
                  I listen to 60% jazz and 40% rock but my system wasn't put together specifically for that. I have made changes until both types of music sound "right" to me. So, implicitly it is for my specific music, but nothing was done intentionally.

                  Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    My systems weren't setup around a particular type of music but around Lamm SETs with strict eye on "natural" and realistic sound. I also like different flavors of "natural" that's were multiple tts, carts and phono stages come in so I understand Jack's desire for the thick rich heavy dark tones of the past times. Easy to add some thickness with a tt, vintage cartridge drop the VTA a touch and viola! There's are still many new and vintage tube phono stages and preamps around built around the 12AX7 with the large variety of offerings for that tube one can further cook the sound to taste.

                    david
                    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                    Distribution: NEODIO

                    Special Sales: van den Hul
                    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

                    Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by david k View Post
                      My systems weren't setup around a particular type of music but around Lamm SETs with strict eye on "natural" and realistic sound. I also like different flavors of "natural" that's were multiple tts, carts and phono stages come in so I understand Jack's desire for the thick rich heavy dark tones of the past times. Easy to add some thickness with a tt, vintage cartridge drop the VTA a touch and viola! There's are still many new and vintage tube phono stages and preamps around built around the 12AX7 with the large variety of offerings for that tube one can further cook the sound to taste.

                      david
                      Hi David,

                      So, you set your system up around Lamm SETs and their particular sound character/thumbprint or lack of, depending on ones preference. Ok, that's fair.

                      Do you think different flavors and what you personally think of as natural are synonymous? meaning they are moving along the same target.

                      For example: I don't see a variety of 12AX7s (e.g. Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens) all portraying a right, neutral, correct, or proper sound. At some point, one will sound correct for (and regardless of) all music if that's the goal; unless one is trying to play with the system's thumbprint. If this is done, even that is usually around one listening preferences which invariably includes the music they listen to.

                      Circling back to the original post, can you share what your main diet of music is so the readers have an idea of what drives your personally listening priorities from that perspective?

                      Dre
                      **************************************************
                      Every day is a good day to play analog.
                      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                      **************************************************
                      Every day is a good day for live music.
                      **************************************************

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

                        Hi David,

                        So, you set your system up around Lamm SETs and their particular sound character/thumbprint or lack of, depending on ones preference. Ok, that's fair.

                        Do you think different flavors and what you personally think of as natural are synonymous? meaning they are moving along the same target.

                        For example: I don't see a variety of 12AX7s (e.g. Telefunken, Mullard, Siemens) all portraying a right, neutral, correct, or proper sound. At some point, one will sound correct for (and regardless of) all music if that's the goal; unless one is trying to play with the system's thumbprint. If this is done, even that is usually around one listening preferences which invariably includes the music they listen to.

                        Circling back to the original post, can you share what your main diet of music is so the readers have an idea of what drives your personally listening priorities from that perspective?

                        Dre
                        Hi Dre,

                        I first heard the Lamm ML2's at Vladimir's place and intuitively I knew instantly that this was it! I didn't fully understand why or grasp the concept of natural and realistic reproduction then but it was obviously right. 21 years later what I heard at that instant holds true. The speaker evolution was a quick learning experience which led me to high efficiency speakers and horns. This came out of a quest for natural sound and realism need for long term satisfaction, not the so called "absolute sound". The Paul Klipsch interview I posted in another thread phrases it beautifully, fidelity or infidelity.

                        https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...-or-infidelity

                        My musical tastes changed over the years, now my diet is 70% classical, mostly sonatas, small chamber and solo instruments with 25% jazz and 5% rock and others. The concept of "natural" and realistic isn't one dimensional it's wide and multidimensional, many factors come into creating that facsimile of reality. This is my goal, sit back and not hear the system or "the Sound" quality, only the performance.

                        A great chef can alter the flavor of steaks with seasoning and still keep the distinct flavor of a great piece of meat. It's the same idea here when choosing between great tubes, cartridges and tts. I understand where Jack's coming from and what he's looking for, jazz is different from other types of music. I love Blue Note club in the Village, sitting up close touching the stage the sound is dark intimate and exciting and with the right band the music is inside you like blood and air; I never had those same emotions for example at Jazz at Lincoln Center. This intimate feeling is what I aim for at home too but for all types of music, I don't want the system to get into it.

                        david

                        Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                        Distribution: NEODIO

                        Special Sales: van den Hul
                        Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

                        Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by david k View Post

                          Hi Dre,

                          I first heard the Lamm ML2's at Vladimir's place and intuitively I knew instantly that this was it! I didn't fully understand why or grasp the concept of natural and realistic reproduction then but it was obviously right. 21 years later what I heard at that instant holds true. The speaker evolution was a quick learning experience which led me to high efficiency speakers and horns. This came out of a quest for natural sound and realism need for long term satisfaction, not the so called "absolute sound". The Paul Klipsch interview I posted in another thread phrases it beautifully, fidelity or infidelity.

                          https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...-or-infidelity

                          My musical tastes changed over the years, now my diet is 70% classical, mostly sonatas, small chamber and solo instruments with 25% jazz and 5% rock and others. The concept of "natural" and realistic isn't one dimensional it's wide and multidimensional, many factors come into creating that facsimile of reality. This is my goal, sit back and not hear the system or "the Sound" quality, only the performance.

                          A great chef can alter the flavor of steaks with seasoning and still keep the distinct flavor of a great piece of meat. It's the same idea here when choosing between great tubes, cartridges and tts. I understand where Jack's coming from and what he's looking for, jazz is different from other types of music. I love Blue Note club in the Village, sitting up close touching the stage the sound is dark intimate and exciting and with the right band the music is inside you like blood and air; I never had those same emotions for example at Jazz at Lincoln Center. This intimate feeling is what I aim for at home too but for all types of music, I don't want the system to get into it.

                          david
                          Hi David,

                          I get what you are saying about the Lamm gear; especially with your current diet of mostly acoustic instruments centered around (but not completely exclusive to) sonatas, chamber music, and solo instruments. These performances tend to highlight weaknesses in the all too important midrange that an, and do, take away from the illusion of a real performance. Couple that with high quality wide-bandwidth single drivers (horn loaded or not) that cover most, if not all, of that range and you have a recipe for prolonged contentment and long-term satisfaction. No matter the situation, things tend to start and stop with a proper midrange.

                          I think the term the absolute sound has more in common with the realism you seek than most people would think. One’s interpretation and implementation of both terms becomes the bottleneck and the major problem in both cases, IMO. That’s probably another discussion for another day and certainly not for this thread.

                          Steaks, chefs, and spices: This is another interesting topic that I’ve always looked at a bit differently. I think the tube (gain circuit) is the heart of the electronics and the supporting electronics around the tube circuit inside the component are more of the spices. The chef (designer) didn’t make the steak (tube) but does choose the spices. But that is also a fun discussion for another day.

                          I believe Jack and I are on the same page with regards to what we were mentioning as a second system; one with limitations that are known but do no harm while at the same time enjoyable. I can see where being close up at the Blue Note is more engaging than sitting in Lincoln Center when you are further removed from the intimacy of a close encounter. I’d enjoy having that all the time but I’m fully aware that the process of recording the performance doesn’t always lend itself to such reproduction. When that happens, I want to know it instead of trying to make it so, which would force somewhat of a footprint on other recordings.

                          For my main system, as I briefly mentioned in response to jack; who happens to move along a similar parallel (but different) line, the goal is the music with a foundation that expands from the midrange in both directions to either extreme. When certain limitations are not at the forefront of the mind, all that’s left is the performance. I think most of us want that. Unfortunately, getting there is the journey and there are plenty of distractions and scenic views along the way; by choice or by diversion.

                          Dre
                          **************************************************
                          Every day is a good day to play analog.
                          - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                          - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                          **************************************************
                          Every day is a good day for live music.
                          **************************************************

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

                            Hi David,

                            I get what you are saying about the Lamm gear; especially with your current diet of mostly acoustic instruments centered around (but not completely exclusive to) sonatas, chamber music, and solo instruments. These performances tend to highlight weaknesses in the all too important midrange that an, and do, take away from the illusion of a real performance. Couple that with high quality wide-bandwidth single drivers (horn loaded or not) that cover most, if not all, of that range and you have a recipe for prolonged contentment and long-term satisfaction. No matter the situation, things tend to start and stop with a proper midrange.
                            Midrange is definitely important but I find the area of lower mid, upper bass to low bass is the most difficult range to reproduce accurately with proper tonal depth and balance, that's where I find Lamm electronics peerless if not messed up by tweaks and powercords. I get to play around with a lot very top end gear and nothing comes close. Bass is the holy grail and very few equipment, speakers, tts, digital players, amps, preamps, cables, power cords, etc. get it right IME. Mids and highs aren't as much of a challenge, plenty of both ss & tube electronics get it good enough but not bass. For the most part it's either anemic and on note bass in your face with wow factor, neither of which is right.

                            Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                            I think the term the absolute sound has more in common with the realism you seek than most people would think. One’s interpretation and implementation of both terms becomes the bottleneck and the major problem in both cases, IMO. That’s probably another discussion for another day and certainly not for this thread.
                            I'm not interpreting anything my aversion to the term comes from the conman who coined the phrase, his false dogma and negative values.

                            Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                            Steaks, chefs, and spices: This is another interesting topic that I’ve always looked at a bit differently. I think the tube (gain circuit) is the heart of the electronics and the supporting electronics around the tube circuit inside the component are more of the spices. The chef (designer) didn’t make the steak (tube) but does choose the spices. But that is also a fun discussion for another day.

                            I believe Jack and I are on the same page with regards to what we were mentioning as a second system; one with limitations that are known but do no harm while at the same time enjoyable. I can see where being close up at the Blue Note is more engaging than sitting in Lincoln Center when you are further removed from the intimacy of a close encounter. I’d enjoy having that all the time but I’m fully aware that the process of recording the performance doesn’t always lend itself to such reproduction. When that happens, I want to know it instead of trying to make it so, which would force somewhat of a footprint on other recordings.

                            For my main system, as I briefly mentioned in response to jack; who happens to move along a similar parallel (but different) line, the goal is the music with a foundation that expands from the midrange in both directions to either extreme. When certain limitations are not at the forefront of the mind, all that’s left is the performance. I think most of us want that. Unfortunately, getting there is the journey and there are plenty of distractions and scenic views along the way; by choice or by diversion.

                            Dre
                            Problem with a 2nd or 3rd system always comes down to time and space more than anything else that's why in my thinking it's best to achieve those differing goals in one's main system and if you can't have that flexibility then you have to figure out why. Who knows on the way to accomplishing those other goals one might find audio nirvana (pun intended!). I have 3 listening rooms here full of interesting equipment but the only time they get played is when I have a visitor or client who wants to hear something, otherwise it's the main system providing all the flavors I like and want to hear from time to time. For example a turntable with two arm would allow one to instantly change from a neutral natural sounding cartridge like the vdH Master Sig to the full bodied Dynavector XV1t and swoon in Johnny Hart's deep warm voice.

                            david
                            Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                            Distribution: NEODIO

                            Special Sales: van den Hul
                            Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

                            Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                            http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X