Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What phonostages would you like to listen to or read about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What phonostages would you like to listen to or read about?

Keeping with the approach I used to start a cartridge discussion:

What phonostages available today have piqued your interests and you would like to listen to or read more about?

Dre
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

Oracle has 2 , the PH200 and new PH100, and I've never read any reviews or even opinion.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Andre, I get extra pleasure when I discover a gear that outperforms its price. Now that I am deep into the black discs, I am searching for my "last" phono preamp.

I am currently using an old Marantz 7C as phono stage with a step-up transformer with decent results. However, it lacks details and refine sound of what I heard from MikeL's high bucks DartZeel built in phono stage.

Can you find a giant killer that will handle low output MC cartridge that I don't have to take out a second mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by Ki Choi View Post
        Andre, I get extra pleasure when I discover a gear that outperforms its price. Now that I am deep into the black discs, I am searching for my "last" phono preamp.

I am currently using an old Marantz 7C as phono stage with a step-up transformer with decent results. However, it lacks details and refine sound of what I heard from MikeL's high bucks DartZeel built in phono stage.

Can you find a giant killer that will handle low output MC cartridge that I don't have to take out a second mortgage?
        Ki,

Given that Mike's two phono sections are just modules in a darTZeel preamp, much like the built in phono section of a Solution 725 preamp or other phonostage/preamp integrated units, are you looking for a combo unit or just a standalone phonostage to connect to an existing preamp?

BTW: What do you consider to be the limit before mortgaging the house?

Dre

Comment

Waiting for all the details on the new Einstein Audio phono stage...
          PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

Zesto Andros 1.2. Or better yet, buy my Krell KPE Ref phono stage that has gobs of gain and will handle basically any low output MC cartridge.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

Zesto Andros 1.2. Or better yet, buy my Krell KPE Ref phono stage that has gobs of gain and will handle basically any low output MC cartridge.
              Had the KPE Reference Phono stage at one time. Although I didn't have respectable turntable/tonearm/cartridge setup at the time, I can't recall how it sounded... To answer Andre's question, I would like something less than $5K if it is possible.

Comment

Had the KPE Reference Phono stage at one time. Although I didn't have respectable turntable/tonearm/cartridge setup at the time, I can't recall how it sounded... To answer Andre's question, I would like something less than $5K if it is possible.
                For a $1000.00, it will blow you away. You are a SS guy aren't you? Original box, packing material, and manual too. Back to the Zesto Andros 1.2-it is less than $5k and I'm super happy with it. It has married SUTs with tubes in a way that I have never heard before meaning it doesn't sound like a mishmash of technologies but rather a unified whole that leaves me satisfied every time I listen through it.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post
                  Keeping with the approach I used to start a cartridge discussion:

What phonostages available today have piqued your interests and you would like to listen to or read more about?

Dre
                  I've always been curios about the Audio TeckneTEA-9501PCS phono stage but never had a chance to try or even hear one, very rare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	audiotekne-12901.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	3944

david
                  Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
                  Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
                  Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

For a $1000.00, it will blow you away. You are a SS guy aren't you? Original box, packing material, and manual too. Back to the Zesto Andros 1.2-it is less than $5k and I'm super happy with it. It has married SUTs with tubes in a way that I have never heard before meaning it doesn't sound like a mishmash of technologies but rather a unified whole that leaves me satisfied every time I listen through it.
                    Thanks Mark for your advice. That Zesto Andros 1.2 sounds interesting. It seems to have plenty of gain from built in SUT for new Ortofon A90/95...

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post

I've always been curios about the Audio TeckneTEA-9501PCS phono stage but never had a chance to try or even hear one, very rare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n3944[/ATTACH]

david
                      that looks like a transformer farm with phono eq capability!

Comment

Ki, you'll be hard pressed to do better than the EAR 845P in the budget category, specially if you replace the tubes with NOS ones. If you don't mind buying used, the Lamm LP2 is a fantastic phono, we have a couple with WE tubes that came in on trade recently.

david
                        Last edited by david k; 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM.

Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Comment

Ki, you'll be hard pressed to do better than the EAR 845P in the budget category, specially if you replace the tubes with NOS ones. If you don't mind buying used, the Lamm LP2 is a fantastic phono, we have a couple with WE tubes that came in on trade recently.

david
                          David, what kind of costs are we talking about the both options? So many choices so little time and money...

Comment

David, what kind of costs are we talking about the both options? So many choices so little time and money...
                            Please contact me offline Ki, its in your budget.
                            david
                            Last edited by david k; 02-19-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

.. To answer Andre's question, I would like something less than $5K if it is possible.

david
                              Ki, I'll have to chew on that one a bit. Something sounding like the darTZeel pre/phono in that price range is a tall order. Something with some of it's charateristics may be possible.

BTW: I have a LP2 Deluxe here and I wouldn't necessarily say it has sound characteristics similar to the darTZeel. The LP2 is a very good phonostage but it has a very different sound than the darTZeel. This is possibly why it didn't enter into my thought as an option because of your criteria for those similar characteristics.

Dre
                              Last edited by Dre_J; 02-19-2016, 08:34 PM.
                              **************************************************

Comment

Working...
                              X