Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pure Performance vs. Resale Value, etc. What's important to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Performance vs. Resale Value, etc. What's important to you?

Pure Performance as it relates to Resale Value, Prestige, Name Recognition, Aesthetics, Inclusion, and Exclusivity

How important are these (and any others you can think of) against pure performance of your audio equipment?

Given that sometimes these traits sometimes (but not always) intertwine with pure performance, what’s most important to you when selecting personal equipment for your audio system?

There is a poll added to the post if you'd like to make selections as well (the poll is multiple choice)

(feel free to elaborate on any of the selections listed below in a reply post)
    • Pure Performance:
    • Resale Value:
    • Prestige:
    • Name Recognition:
    • Aesthetics:
    • Inclusion:
    • Exclusivity:
    • Other:

While the poll is setup to make selections easy, post replies with thoughts on the questions and individual selection categories are highly encouraged.

Dre

Note: The poll below is Multiple Choice. (select as many items as you'd like)
    Pure Performance:
    100.00%
    Resale Value:
    19.35%
    Prestige:
    6.45%
    Name Recognition:
    3.23%
    Aesthetics:
    32.26%
    Inclusion:
    0%
    Exclusivity:
    3.23%
    Other:
    12.90%
    Last edited by Dre_J; 12-16-2017, 12:04 PM. Reason: added note that polling is multiple choice
    Every day is a good day to play analog.
    - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
    - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
    Every day is a good day for live music.

None of my equipment is even remotely considered high-end nor was any of it (except the Squeezebox) manufactured in this century and has little re-saie value. It's all I can afford. But much of my equipment was designed by inspired engineers like Vilchur, Kloss, Tomlinson, etc who were not only gifted engineers but also articulate in sharing what were their goals, techniques, trade-offs and limitations. And it all still works. So, I guess that's a vote for pure performance.
    Tape: Pioneer RT-1050, Teac X-1000R, Teac 40-4, Tascam 42 NB
    Vinyl: Technics SL-1310, Dual CS-506, Dual 1219, AR XA
    Amps: Apt Holman preamp, APT-1 power amp, Technics SU-7300, Marantz 2220B
    Speakers: Large Advent, Advent Model 1
    Digital: Squeezebox Duet & Touch, Linux server

Comment

I don't normally consider resale value, as I can't think of the last time I sold a piece of audio gear. I still have my Kenwood integrated amp from my college days. I think the last thing I sold was my Rega 2 in 1985. Even that I only sold because someone the old audio club needed a table and made a good offer for it, and i decided I didn't need two turntables.

I guess the only two things I really care about are performance and price (or maybe performance and value).
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      -
      Analog: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 19a, iPhono2; Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Sumiko Pearl, iFi iPhono.
      Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi iDAC2, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2.
      Electronics: Burson Conductor Virtuoso, DIY switch-box with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, Jolida JD1000P, B&K ST140.
      Speakers: Tekton Double Impact, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7, ELAC Debut2 B6.2, Debut F5 and Debut B6, Emotiva Airmotiv B1, Sound Dynamics 300ti.
      Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Nordost Solar Wind, Audioquest Evergreen
      Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Nordost Solar Wind, Nordost Flatline, Audioquest Q2.
      Digital cables: Straightwire USB Link, Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
      Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan racks, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Sound Organization speaker stands, Pangea Audio speaker stands, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
      Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More MK801, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I put "pure performance", to me extreme reliability and knowing that I'll be taken care of if something goes wrong fall under that heading.
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
        DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

I'm first and foremost concerned with performance. After performance, I'm most concerned with quality and support from the manufacturer. I'm not concerned with resale value until I actually decide to sell something.
          Analog: Forsell Air Reference, Symphonic Line RG-8; VPI Prime Signature, Transfiguration Proteus, Transfiguration Phoenix S, VAS Nova Signature, VAS Nova Mono
          Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
          Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon XT MC; Merrill Thor, Gryphon M-100 Mkii
          Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Gryphon speaker cables

Comment

when I entered the hobby and bought everything new, name recognition/prestige/resale was important. I mostly now own previously-loved, fully depreciated gear or well discounted demos from distributor/dealer-friends. What I still acquire new are mostly cartridges.

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I voted pure performance. I don't care what the gear looks like as long as it is well made- reliability/support is a factor. Resale value as a consideration in purchase? I buy stuff in the belief that I'll keep it forever.
              How much new stuff made in the last 10 years has actually appreciated in value? To my mind, almost all of it depreciates, just a question of how much, until you hit that vintage/rare bird tranche where the value skyrockets over the original price.

Comment

Performance, which includes reliability is the only metric which matters to me. Since pretty much anything I buy has to last for a decade and longer reliability really matters. On a budget the rest of the metrics mentioned in the poll are meaningless.

Comment

I voted performance. Resale value, prestige and aesthetics mean little. Although I like well built solid equipment if I am buying mainstream. My one pet peave on electronics is that wood doesn't belong on a chassis. Wood is for furniture.

Otherwise, where I have gone is mostly non conventional products which are artisan or I have participated in DIY . I look at value predominantly in my interest for vintage not at all if I am looking at mainstream components. The cost of ownership for me is amortized over many years as I don't swap often ( cartridges excepted) ... I tend to buy higher performing pieces at retail and enjoy them over a several years.
                  Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                  Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                  Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                  Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                  Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                  Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

I have been learning and building for about 5 years now. Of course I want performance, but with little resale, I have diminished options to test synergy of other components when something is not right.
                    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Rust View Post
                      Performance, which includes reliability is the only metric which matters to me. Since pretty much anything I buy has to last for a decade and longer reliability really matters. On a budget the rest of the metrics mentioned in the poll are meaningless.
                      The metric system drives me crazy.

Comment

I always aim for the best bang for the buck I can afford within my budget, hence why I've always bought integrated amps. I feel like all of my current gear offers high cost/performance at their respective price points. In saying that, obviously my primary consideration is finding gear which sounds good to my ears & has excellent synergy. Secondary to that (but still important) are build quality, aesthetics, user friendliness and resale value. That said, I tend to take a long-term view & am intending to keep the current system i'm building for atleast 10 years, and some components up to 15+yrs.
                        Last edited by Bodhi; 12-15-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Performance first. It makes no sense to me to spend my money on something I have misgivings about over something I really like just because I got a better deal on the former. This has helped to keep my spending down as I tend to keep the components much longer. Many components have found their way to second and third systems because they are mostly worth keeping from the get go. Contrast that to losses with every used sale (if you bought new).

Comment

For me is a combination of performance (sound and reliability), how solid the company behind the product and looks. Yes, cost is an element of the decision as well.

Comment

• Bodhi
                              Bodhi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You should update your Signature to show your rig Ritmo! Same goes for a few others

I am after the best performance I can afford and I have to like the looks of it too, because I am gonna live with it for a long time. I haven't sold anything other than my VPI Scoutmaster which was so I could move into the Redpoint Model D in a long time...

Comment

Working...
                            X