conrad-johnson Announces New ET6 Preamplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conrad-johnson Announces New ET6 Preamplifier

Click image for larger version  Name:	A57B68CE-D927-4725-B65E-F8280F2EB896.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	156.0 KB ID:	105074

ET6/ET6SE Vacuum Tube Preamplifiers

At conrad-johnson, development of our flagship products has traditionally led to important enhancements of our entry-level offerings.

The ET6 preamplifier is a case in point. The ET6 line-stage is a “baby” version of our flagship line-stage preamplifier, the GAT. The family resemblance is much more than skin deep.
    With voltage gain provided by a triode vacuum-tube, the zero-feedback line-stage circuit of the ET6, along with its DC voltage regulators, closely replicates the circuit of the GAT.

Finally, and especially noteworthy, the ET6 features a relay operated discrete stepped attenuator level-control circuit of the type found in the GAT and ET7, absent only the balance control function found in those more costly models.

Functionally, the ET6 provides highly flexible I/O facilities with six separate line-level inputs (including one “tape” loop), plus a theater loop that facilitates use in a home theater system. In addition, the ET6 offers the convenience of infrared remote control of all functions. For vinyl enthusiasts, the ET6 is optionally available with a vacuum-tube phono stage that borrows its zero-feedback audio circuit from our reference quality TEA1-S3 phono stage.

Customers can choose between high gain (recommended for cartridges with a rated output of 1.0 mV or less) and low gain (recommended for cartridges with rated output greater than 1.0 mV) versions of the phono stage. Input resistive loading is switch selectable over a range from 47 kOhms down to 200 Ohms. The ET6 phono stage is built to the same high quality standard found in the ET6 line-stage. Premium quality component parts are specified to optimize performance and to sustain that performance for years to come.

Precision, metal-film resistors yield low noise performance for greatest clarity. Polypropylene capacitors, used exclusively in the audio circuits and the regulated plate voltage supplies, offer extraordinary temporal accuracy.
    In fact, the ET6 is built to standards that meet or exceed those of many companies’ “flagship” offerings.

Those who wish to take the performance to yet a higher level will be thrilled by the availability of an upgraded “SE” version. The ET6SE boasts CJD Teflon capacitors and metal foil resistors in critical circuit applications. It would be fair to say that the only thing “entry-level” about the ET6 is its price.

Arrange to audition one at a conrad-johnson dealer to find out for yourself – you’ll be surprised at just how affordable true high-end performance can be.

ET6/ET6SE Preamplifiers

Specifications
    • Gain:
      25 db
    • Maximum output:
      20 Vrms
    • Output impedance:
      100 ohms
    • Distortion:
      less than .15% THD at 1.0 Vrms output
    • Frequency response:
      at unity gain
      2 Hz to more than 100Khz
    • Hum and noise:
      98 db below 2.5 v
    • Tube complement:
      1 x 6922
    ET6 Optional Phono Stage
    • High Gain Version
      54dB
    • Low Gain Version
      40dB
    • RIAA Equalization:
      +/- .25 db 20Hz to 20kHz
    • Hum and Noise:
      -80dB relative to 10mV input
    • Phase:
      phase correct
    • Tube Compliment:
      High Gain Version
      3x 12AX7
      Low Gain Version
      2x 12AX7, 1x 12AU7
    Dimensions

16D x 19W x 3.75H inches Total Weight

15 lbs.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

CJ makes superb preamps in my opinion.
    Amplifiers: McIntosh, Tandberg, ReVox

Preamplifiers: Conrad Johnson, Tandberg, Revox

Analog Playback: Linn, EAR, Lyra, ReVox, Tandberg

Digital Playback: McIntosh

Analog Stereo Tuners: Magnum Dynalab, McIntosh, Tandberg, Revox

Headphones: Stax

Speakers: Spendor, Linn, Klipsch

Cables: Crimson RM Music Link

Power Cords: Volex

Comment

Super happy with CJ Equipment. On Conrad Johnson website, it looks like the ET6 and ET6SE replace the ET3 product line. Entry level CJ products are usually very musical and offer alot of value for the dollar. Any clue on pricing? Guessing a little bit of an uptick over ET3.
      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S3 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version), Rockport Avior ll Speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Sigma Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Audio Desk Pro LP Cleaner, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

If the ET6 is indeed a replacement for the ET3, lets hope they solved the tube eating issue. I had an ET3 SE for a while and I was forewarned it was hard on its tube (a single 6922). I did burn one out within about 4 months before passing it onto its next owner. My only other reservation is why in this day and age do you still need 25 db of line stage gain and if so, why not make it adjustable like down to 15 db?
        Simon Yorke + Zyx + B.M.C .> Soulution > Boulder > Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Joe Pittman
          Joe Pittman commented
          Editing a comment
          I always thought high gain (high bias?) sounds the best... And in the quest for audio nirvana, not the ultimate in reliability? What I call the Icarus effect...

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          My question was rhetorical, I know why they still use 25 db (in part, makes up for low gain phono stages) I've owned many of the classic CJ and ARC pre amps and to a greater or lesser degree most suffered from excess line stage noise not to mention being stuck at the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of the volume pots range.

• Hawk
          Hawk commented
          Editing a comment
          The 25 DB gain of my GAT works very well with my CJ Tea 1(54 db gain version). Combined with .9 Mv output of VDH cartridge and 1.0 Mv of Grado Statement, my listening level is usually between 45 to 55 on volume scale of 100. I have a Exemplar modified 205(Tube version) and the volume level is very similar. I listen at fairly realistic levels(Not at Maxell- Blow your hair back- levels)

As far as tube life, I had an ET5 before my GAT. I only had issues with the stock EH 6922 on the ET5. I had good luck with Gold Lion 6922, EAT 6922, Telefunken E88cc and Russian 6H23n-EB. The Russian tube is super bullet proof. It is a little leaner & slightly more clinical in mid-range then EH or Gold Lion. It is also a little more extended at both ends of spectrum. Telefunken is my favorite. I have almost 2 years on mine. They have gotten crazy expensive.
      Working...
      X