• Show
Clear All

• conrad-johnson Unveils ART27A Amplifier

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1552674951766.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	110371

Our newest power amplifier: the ART27A. Triode configured KT88s operated Class A. Fully regulated power supplies, including independent regulators for each channel's output stage. Rated 36 Watts into 4 Ohms (the default configuration, recommended for most applications). Also available configured for 8 or 16 Ohms.

Name:	FB_IMG_1552674992739.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	110370
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

any idea on a price?
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    --------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Hi Myles

is that GIANT CONRAD JOHNSON nameplate some sort of April fools joke??

seriously, get rid of it and back to the classy understated conrad-johnson.

personally, I will never buy another conrad johnson piece if that pig ugly in capitals name stays.

talk about a way to ruin my day

Comment

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        Rob. I bought my first piece in 1989.

I feel like vomiting looking at that giant capitals. tacky and sorry, red neck trailer trash looking.

change it back now.

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        My day is not ruined but that is one ugly amp.... sorry CJ fans. I hope it is a prototype. I also think that outside of the past classic series that were....er classy. The contrived plexi type tube cages on the ART preamps are not attractive at all. No reflection on performance just not attractive in my eyes.

• Tango
        Tango commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with you it is one ugly face plate.

The larger nameplate certainly is striking. I don't think it would deter me from owning the amp if it fit a need.

More so than the font size my first thought was the capital letters; I thought it had always been conrad-johnson in lower case - that seems like a bigger change than the size.The tone of the metal looks the same or very close to what has been, which I associate to, moreso than name/font itself, although it does look like more of a matte finish - maybe it's the photograph lighting. What I don't think it needs is the nameplate on top of the transformer cover which is also a v. large font; the latest ART 150 & 300 don't have that. I don't have expertise on the KT88/KT120/KT150; wonder why they choose the KT88 (looks like might be Gold Lion).

I go back to the PV-5 with a handful more after that.

Name:	16LS_a.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	110444
      Never shoulda sold this one.

Comment

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        agree re the prem16. that was one sweet fast sounding preamp.

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
      Hi Myles

is that GIANT CONRAD JOHNSON nameplate some sort of April fools joke??

seriously, get rid of it and back to the classy understated conrad-johnson.

personally, I will never buy another conrad johnson piece if that pig ugly in capitals name stays.

talk about a way to ruin my day
      Conrad Johnson ruined your day because of the logo they put on their amp?? Seriously?

Real things that ruined multiple days for me this week:

1. My beloved boxer Maggie died at home Monday night after undergoing 17 radiation treatments at UT animal hospital in Knoxville. The radiation treatments were supposed to buy her 12-18 months of good quality life. She didn't make it to 6 weeks from the day we picked her up from her last treatment.

2. Tuesday morning I had to drive Maggie to a crematorium.

3. Wednesday I had to go back and pick up her cremains.

4. Friday morning my refrigerator died. The soonest I could get a repairman here was today and he came with the wrong part.

In summary, no piece of audio gear that I don't own is ever going to ruin my day unless somebody brings a piece of gear to hear in my system that is defective and it blows my system up.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        šŸ’”

• kcin
        kcin commented
        Editing a comment
        Very sorry for your loss

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks kcin.

Sorry about Maggie boxers are a very loyal family dog

Comment

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Maggie was a very special dog and it was soul crushing when she died.

• adeep42
        adeep42 commented
        Editing a comment
        I still mourn Blitzen, a wonderful, loyal and gentle Boxer who passed away when I was in high school in 1957 or 58. Interestingly, he had an abdominal cancer. They didn't do radiation on dogs then. My sincerest condolences.

• mep
        mep commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Adeep. Boxers leave a mark on your soul. I still miss my first boxer Ginger.

Look familiar? Seems to me an homage to one of the all time great and seminal--a Stu Hegeman design-- tube amps. To boot a low powered triode design.

Click image for larger version  Name:	65B8933B-A0A1-4E09-8D2F-7E597EA92105.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	294.1 KB ID:	111447

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

A little more beat up Citation 2. A powerhouse in its day producing 60 wpc. First of the wide bandwidth tube amps of its day (59-62).

Name:	0778BCA9-2210-41F6-9296-4F3FD8845264.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	111449

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
          any idea on a price?
          If Iā€™m not mistaken, retail is $22K for the 27A stereo amp.
          JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary, Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE..

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Joe.

Originally posted by mep View Post

Conrad Johnson ruined your day because of the logo they put on their amp?? Seriously?

Real things that ruined multiple days for me this week:

1. My beloved boxer Maggie died at home Monday night after undergoing 17 radiation treatments at UT animal hospital in Knoxville. The radiation treatments were supposed to buy her 12-18 months of good quality life. She didn't make it to 6 weeks from the day we picked her up from her last treatment.

2. Tuesday morning I had to drive Maggie to a crematorium.

3. Wednesday I had to go back and pick up her cremains.

4. Friday morning my refrigerator died. The soonest I could get a repairman here was today and he came with the wrong part.

In summary, no piece of audio gear that I don't own is ever going to ruin my day unless somebody brings a piece of gear to hear in my system that is defective and it blows my system up.
          Mep

It was figuratively, not literally. Do you get that?

Perhaps you should read cj's facebook page. It has a lot more people that have had their days ruined - figuratively. I posted my same thoughts on their page.

Sorry about your dog, but this has nothing to do with the ugly cj amp styling.

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post

Mep

It was figuratively, not literally. Do you get that?

Perhaps you should read cj's facebook page. It has a lot more people that have had their days ruined - figuratively. I posted my same thoughts on their page.

Sorry about your dog, but this has nothing to do with the ugly cj amp styling.
            No, I didn't "get it" at the time of your OP because you seemed very sincere about it. I also don't have a FB account, never owned a piece of Cj gear, and I don't care about their logo. We have too many people who are "offended" over anything and everything now days and run around screaming with their hair on fire over nothing. It's all a bit tiring.
            SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              Mark, we get it. now we're talking about who overreacted more to what amounts to be a 1st world problem. It doesn't change the fact that CJ's 'new look' is gaudy and an affront to good taste (aesthetically speaking).

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
            A little more beat up Citation 2. A powerhouse in its day producing 60 wpc. First of the wide bandwidth tube amps of its day (59-62).

Name:	0778BCA9-2210-41F6-9296-4F3FD8845264.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	111449
            No way that CJ has the beauty of the HK sorry! YMMV and all that

Here is mine.

Name:	citation4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	111566
            Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
            Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
            Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
            Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              You should be proud Nick, she looks gorgeous! I bet it sounds awesome too. Did you do the McShane mod?

Hi Rob

I did do to level II McShane plus military teflon wire throughout, chromed the chassis, IEC, blackgates and some other tricks.I stripped her right down. I am not sure if I would have the interest or time to that now. I recall doing all the work when my daughter was <1 yr old she will turn 18 next month. Time flies. I will put it up soon I think.

Name:	citation2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	111570Click image for larger version

Name:	Citation Rear.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	111571Click image for larger version

Name:	citation3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	111572
            Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
            Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
            Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
            Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
            Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
            Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              oh my! the audio equal of a rotisserie restoration (classic car speak) with a hint of restomod thrown in for good measure did you keep carbon resistors or replaced them with metal film?

Name:	FB_IMG_1554916007427.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	112279

An alternative ART27A front panel is being prepared for customers who prefer a more traditional conrad-johnson look. Jeff would appreciate hearing from conrad-johnson owner's regarding this version of the amplifier.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Metamatic
              Metamatic commented
              Editing a comment
              Myles. No contest. The normal smaller font is classy, understated and IS conrad-johnson.

A gold top plate like the prem8/11/12 would add a layer of class as well.

The other is trailer trash ugly imo.
              Last edited by Metamatic; 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM.

• Marcus
              Marcus commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely agree. For my taste, Premier 8 with top gold plates on transformers is the most beautiful conrad johnson product. Btw, Premier 11 and 12 did not have such gold plates.

You know if the name plate is the biggest problem you have with a CJ you are are having a good day

Comment

Working...
            X