Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 affordable high end series

Hi!

I am working on a line of affordable high end equipment.

Since 92 dB/W/M or better speakers are available and affordable, I selected an output power that can be obtained from many NOS and current production power tubes in class A1, 6W per channel.

The line will contain a basic power amplifier, an integrated power amplifier with 4 inputs, a preamplifier, and more.

All power amps and preamps have regulated B+ voltage and rectified filament power for input tubes, it gave the name "Edelweiss", a gentle flower growing on foundation of hard rocks.

Power amplifiers contain 3 nested feedback loops, one of them is positive by current, so it has a better bass control than most solid state amps can produce, while people still believe in weak bass produced by SET amplifiers.

Low intermodulation distortions with still soft saturation, while people still believe that SE is not good for orchestra and rock music.

And of course still "Airy liquid in the air", as supposed to be with SE amplifiers.

Power amplifiers are designed for JJ EL34 tubes. Can be used KT77 as well, or 5881 with lower output power. The amp is self-biased, but under the bottom grill are digital gauges that show bias, and a cushion for a bias adjustment potentiometer, so instead of tube rolling you can fine tune auto-bias to get the best tone from existing tubes. The recommending setting is 10-11V, maximum is 12.2 for 25W anode dissipation of each output tube.

Sensitivity: at least 0.775V for full power, output: 8 Ohm with servo damping of speakers.

Input and driver tube is a twin pentode, Compactron 8CB11 designed at the end of vacuum tube era for colour TVs.

The preamp uses also a Compactron tube, 8AL9, that contain a triode with amplification factor 56, and a frame grid linear high GM pentode. It allowed to get 2 Ohm output resistance. The preamp is capable to drive a pair of 32 Ohm headphones, and contains a pair of TRS sockets for them. Amplification factor is 12 dB (4 times), input impedance is 50 kOhm. Headroom is 60 Volt minimum.

Whats class A1 ?

Monoblocks?
    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

A1 for time being.
      No monoblocks.

Comment

Since you mention "affordable" can we get the price (or the target price range)?
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        --------------------------------------------------------
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Would you explain what class A1 is. I've heard of A, I've heard of A/B , I've heard of D, I've never heard of A1.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
            Since you mention "affordable" can we get the price (or the target price range)?
            $800 basic power amp, $580 preamp, $1,200 integrated amp

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
              Would you explain what class A1 is. I've heard of A, I've heard of A/B , I've heard of D, I've never heard of A1.
              A1 drive with negative G1 input, A2 with positive peaks on G1.
              Similarly, class AB amps can work in AB1 (usual amps), or AB2, when control grids are driven positive, so power tubes are used more efficient, for more output power.

Comment

Here is an example of class A2 amp, 45 W from each GK-71 tube.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCCd4O-fVQ&t=2s

Comment

One more item in the line, a high end amplifier for planar magnetic headphones.

Comment

Any chance of a KT88 version? I love EL34 midrange magic, but have a soft spot for the way KT88 handle bass.
                    Steve Lefkowicz
                    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Working...
                    X