BOSC™ - HiFi Monoblock Class-D GaN Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSC™ - HiFi Monoblock Class-D GaN Amp

BOSC™ uses the latest in Gallium Nitride (GaN) technology to achieve high performance in a small form factor.

The low on resistance and low capacitance of the GaN FET enables high efficiency and lowers loop impedance for low Transient Intermodulation Distortion (T-IMD). The fast switching capability and zero reverse recovery charge enable higher output linearity and low cross over distortion for lower Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).

Preliminary Specifications:
    • Gain: 16.8dB or 6.92
    • Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): ~120dB
    • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.0003% (-110dB) @ 7W
    • Frequency Response: DC - 40kHz
    • Sensitivity: 2.5Vin for 37.5W into 8Ω
    • Input Impedance: 5kΩ fully balanced
    • Output Power: 100W into 8Ω w/ 48V Power Supply
    • Output Power: 150W into 8Ω w/ 56V Power Supply
    • Size: 5.5" (14cm) x 4.8" (12.2cm) x 1.9" (4.8cm)

Sign up to get updates and receive special early bird pricing on the amazing BOSC™ monoblock amp:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...mp/coming_soon
    Last edited by orchardaudio; 07-10-2019, 06:56 AM.

Please stay on topic. The new products forum is intended for manufacturers to announce the release of new gear and ask questions.

Thanks.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

If you are really interested in this product and would like to be one of the first people to get it at a reduced price, reserve now for $1. Only 55 spots available: https://orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPag...ts%2Fbsc-mplfr

Comment

is the sensitivity for 150 W output, 5.0 volts input? seems rather low gain.
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          is the sensitivity for 150 W output, 5.0 volts input? seems rather low gain.
          Yes 5V in for 150W out.

Comment

BOSC Pricing:
            • Indiegogo VIP: $999 for two (2) BOSC Amps - Register Now only 55 spot available
              • 33% Savings from an MSRP of $1499
            • Indiegogo Early Bird: $1099 for two (2) BOSC Amps - limited availability
              • 26% Savings from an MSRP of $1499
            • Indiegogo Regular Price: $1199 for two (2) BOSC Amps
              • 20% Savings from an MSRP of $1499
            BOSC specification have been updated after the latest round of testing and can be found here:
            https://orchardaudio.com/bosc

Click image for larger version

Name:	thd-ratio-vs-measured-level-jpg.29289.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	119465

Comment

Some updated BOSC performance plots for 8 ohm load, these will most likely be the same as the final measurements. I really like the way that BOSC sounds right now and don't plan to make any more tweaks to the production version.

SNR (A-Weighted)

SNR (No Weighting)

THD Ratio vs Measured Level

THD+N vs Frequency @ 10W

THD+N vs Frequency @ 1W

64k FFT @ 10W Output

Frequency Response

IMD vs Measured Level

Comment

An awesome review for the BOSC amp:

"Class-D amplifiers generally trigger reactions and opinions of a generic, mass-market sound. And I’ll admit, I tend to not be too curious about anything based around that amplification method. But Leonid (Leo) Ayzenshtat’s Class-D amplifiers continually force me to think differently. They prove that it isn’t about the type of thing, but rather about how skillfully a thing is made."*

"I wanted to stop my heart so I could hear the music better. I was being sucked in, pushed out, and unable to focus on anything else but the music. There were all the little bird-like chimes, dancing between clicks and pings and bongs of xylophone harmonics with dry reed raspy sounds zooming in and out, floating on top of deep rolling strings and organ-like bass. I didn’t want to miss a moment of it."*

Read the full review here:
                https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewin...sc-monoblocks/

Comment

Part 1 of another BOSC writeup: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...54#post1114154

Comment

Another great write-up:
                    2 weeks with the Orchard Audio BOSC HiFi Monoblock Class-D GaN Amps

Before I go into any detail, let me say up front that these amps are something special. Detail and clarity galore with a transparency that grabs your attention and doesn't let go. The amps run cool to the touch and are so small that they can be easily stashed away out of site in any system. In my opinion, they punch way above their price point and easily turn a background music system into something that cannot be easily ignored... or at least, that was my experience.
                    Last edited by orchardaudio; 08-28-2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Another great write up: https://www.audionervosa.com/index.p...91698#msg91698

This is an extremely good amplifier, something I could live with easily if I didn't own the Modulus 286. The noise floor is very low, and you hear tiny details into the background on many recordings. The amplifier is very similar sounding to the Modulus 286 which is a major compliment! Big, bombastic dynamics, excellent tight very well delineated bass and yes, ethereal high end. Soundstaging was wide, and performers were well placed, such that you could easily distinguish the differences between them.

Comment

Kickstarter launching next week. Check out the project video:
                        https://youtu.be/qo4ssUfE4rg.

Sign up for our mailing list to learn when Kickstarter project goes live:
                        www.orchardaudio.com/bosc

Comment

Kickstarter is live! Grab the early bird special while supplies last: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ier?ref=1hvtb6

Comment

Less than 2 weeks left!

Comment

BOSC quality...
                              Every BOSC amp is hand-assembled and tested in the USA, by yours truly.

The circuit board (PCB) uses a high-quality dielectric, has a gold finish (ENIG), and is assembled in Eatontown, NJ.

The components all come from high-end semiconductor manufacturers: Texas Instruments; Analog Devices; Murata; Panasonic; and NXP; to name a few.

The output filter inductors use oxygen-free copper (OFC) and are specifically made for Class-D amplifiers.

Even though Orchard Audio is new to the market, I have multiple patents and over a decade of experience in designing audio electronics.

I believe that you will be very happy with both the sound and quality of BOSC amplifiers.

Contact me with any questions!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ier?ref=1hvtb6

Comment

Working...
                              X