Audioquest Fog Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audioquest Fog Lifters

Click image for larger version  Name:	F7E00DAE-9B40-4780-BB2D-54F1CD2457F9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	128671Click image for larger version  Name:	05C6660A-AD84-459A-97D3-48F564A716B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	217.9 KB ID:	128672
    Cable-Uppers Isolate RF Noise,
    Opening Up the Sound Field
    For four decades, AudioQuest has stated as clearly as possible, that almost all audio improvements come from reducing “damage”—either by preserving the original information or by not adding misinformation.

AudioQuest’s new Fog Lifters address a significant source of misinformation: Radio-Frequency Noise coupled from the floor into audio and AC power cables. Whether the floor is covered with carpet or made of wood or stone, the material capacitively couples RF Noise into the cable to distort the vulnerable audio signal, even when the cables are “100% shielded.”

A floor might not at first seem like a source of RF Noise, but, in fact, RF energy is all around us and always wants to go wherever it can find a lower energy state. Think of lightning or static electricity, especially in winter. Dry heated air can make it painfully obvious that there’s an energy differential between our bodies and the things we touch.

Fog Lifters significantly reduce RF coupling, whether with the floor, or due to misdirected efforts to isolate cable with stands or clamps that themselves have too much mass and are sources of RF Noise.

A few inches or centimeters might not seem important, but as with light coming from a bulb, the energy falls off exponentially. A few inches or centimeters makes a big difference—which translates into a lower noise-floor and less compromise to, and distortion in, attached active circuits.

Shielding may help, but at the high frequencies we’re bathed in thanks to cellular, Wi-Fi, etc., conventional shielding does not stop RF Noise from being capacitively coupled into signal-carrying conductors.

AudioQuest Fog Lifters are available now.

AudioQuest Fog Lifters
    US Retail Price: $149.95/set of 8
    • Place an absolute minimum of solid material in direct contact with the cable
    • Reduce the RF noise that capacitively couples into cables through all solid materials (carpet, stone, wood, etc.)
    • Preserve low-level audio signals
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Cat toys for sure

Comment

Really? I'm all for a good tweak .... whats the overall impressions apart from neatness and looking cool with cable lifters.

By the way I like fuses and wire and stillpoint panels and cable cookers and......................well you get the picture.
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
      Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

I have hardwoods. Never heard a cable lifter do anything in my setup. I very much hear different footers under my equipment.
        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

I came up with variations of this design about 20 years ago. But since then I have gravitated toward cables with superior design which are unaffected by static fields and so on. Great engineering minimizes the need to tweak.

Floors are interesting, especially carpeted floors with padding. The synthetic pads can generate an electrostatic field big enough to power a city...

Comment

If it was all that easy.
            McIntosh MC501x2,McIntosh c2200, Innersound Eros,Von Schweikert VR4 HSE,VPI Scoutmaster w/Grado Sonata,
            Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE,Sony APR 5003,Revox B77,
            Revox B760 McIntosh MR74

Comment

I never heard any difference but am in favor of lifting cables off the floor under the category “cable management”
              Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
              Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
              Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
              Speakers: Wilson Alexias
              Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
              Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
              Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                Im almost surprised you don't hear anything. Especially since your on carpet . Maybe like Joe said, cable design helps. Are your flat cables shielded .

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Another thing lifters allow one to do is organize your cables and keep signal cables away from PCs. A real no-no.

Is there something at Ikea or something one can make at home for this? ($20 for a piece of plastic and a cord seems pretty expensive to me, expecially when you might need a bunch of them.)

Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Kingrex
                Kingrex commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought there was another thread here where people showed off a few homemade and store bought cable elevators. There are oprions. I think I remembered one person using bricks for their dense dampening ability.

It may seem like a small thing but my room is carpeted (and if it wasn't such an undertaking I would change to a wood floor, but alas....) and what attracted we to these is the "claw like" feet. My cat wreaks havoc knocking over other types of lifters, and as someone already mentioned, the small ones that came with my Inakustik speaker cables just become cat toys. I think these might dig in a little better. I realize that there are probably several DIY options out there but it was SO easy to just Add To Cart. :-) I'm going to try a set.
              Last edited by timztunz; 12-21-2019, 12:33 PM.
              Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
              Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
              Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
              Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
              Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
              Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
              Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
              Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
              Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener -
              Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
              CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
              Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
              Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
              Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
              Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
              Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
                I came up with variations of this design about 20 years ago. But since then I have gravitated toward cables with superior design which are unaffected by static fields and so on. Great engineering minimizes the need to tweak.

Floors are interesting, especially carpeted floors with padding. The synthetic pads can generate an electrostatic field big enough to power a city...
                Totally true on carpet. Acrylic and synthetic types especially. Wool and silk carpets are very good.

I have a silk carpet on stone and don't suffer the static- I kind of like the old ceramic or glass high voltage insulators I have seen many use. Years ago you used to pick up a bucket of them for a few dollars, Now, not so much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	insulators.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	128900
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Working...
                X