X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February The Audiophile Society Features Kirmuss Audio

MONTHLY AUDIOPHILE SOCIETY MEETING:

Sunday, February 6th, 2022, at 1:30 p.m. Eastern

The Audiophile Society will conduct this meeting anywhere you want to be.

We had an all-analog meeting in December with J.R. Boisclair, but what’s to stop us from having another? This month, we’re happy to announce that the wizard of wax, the viscount of vinyl, the lord of the long play, Charles Kirmuss, will be delving into the theory and practice of cleaning our precious records. Just as J.R. Boisclair at Wally Tools upended conventions about cartridge setup, Charles has been equally disruptive in challenging the myths and misrepresentations of record care that have accumulated over several decades. Using his $120,000 Keyence VX-7000 digital imager to support his findings, Charles has turned the record-cleaning ritual into a science.

Our friend Michael Fremer headlined an article this way: “If Kirmuss Audio's Record Cleaning Ideas Are Correct Are Everyone Else's Wrong?” Let’s listen to Charles and decide for ourselves. His presentation will cover the production process, the reproduction mechanics when stylus meets groove, and how to get the best sound out of our records. We will, of course, have a Q&A session, so bring your questions and be prepared to learn.

As you know, Charles sells a very affordable and very complete ultrasonic record cleaning—sorry, record restoration—system. It’s a great system, but somewhat time-consuming in practice. Is it the best? Is it worth the effort? We think so, and Charles has generously agreed to give everyone attending the meeting a special “show” discount on the complete KA-RC-1 system: $895 shipped, with an extra 300 ml refill bottle, extra carbon fiber/parastatic felt brush, and goat hair brush included at no charge. The items sold separately have a retail value $1,385, so this is a great offer. Charles will also raffle away five carbon fiber/parastatic felt brushes and four KA-RS-1 record supports.

Now, an important announcement. After the Zoom bombing at our last meeting, we will be requiring advance registration for all future Zooms. No biggie, but see notes below. We will use your registration info as the raffle entry.

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/regi...W6opUrpi3xxK8P

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting with a link and passcode.

If you haven’t already done so, please download and install the free Zoom app. If after registering you do not get an e-mail with the link and passcode, check your Junk mail. The reply from Zoom will be coming from [email protected]. Full instructions for troubleshooting can be found in the Support section of Zoom.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...ails-from-Zoom

If you still can’t manage the Zoom registration, e-mail Mark Block and let him know. You can register at any time, but try to be helpful and take care of it well before the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of The Audiophile Society and the NJ Audio Society. Guests from the Boston Audio Society, the Connecticut Audio Society, the Philadelphia Area Audio Group, the Atlanta Audio Society, the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society and the Houston Audio Society are invited. Zoom guidelines are at this link. The meeting will begin at 1:30 EST, with the presentation starting a little after 2:00. As usual, participants should “raise their hands” using the Zoom “Reactions” to ask questions after the main presentation.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Don’t forget to register for this weekend’s meeting on record cleaning!

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Those who didn’t tune in missed an excellent and well organized presentation on record chemistry, pressing and cleaning by Charles Kirmuss.

One point that Charles really emphasized was the importance of cleaning all records, not just used second hand purchases. Another was about how US machines work, issues with how many records one can clean at a time, etc.

I’ll post the recording of the session on the board as soon as Mark uploads it to YouTube. Warning. It was a long session with Q&As too and will probably run around 3 hours or so. Break it into smaller chunks but there’s a lot of useful info here.

My main reservation with Charles’ record restoration process is simply the time involved. It looks like we’re talking about an hour or so for three records. Anybody own one and care to comment?

Comment

"I’ll post the recording of the session on the board as soon as Mark uploads it to YouTube."

Thanks!

Comment

I for one will not spend an hour or so to clean 3 LPs.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Comment

I won a door prize!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes you did. Fix!

Originally posted by mep View Post
              I for one will not spend an hour or so to clean 3 LPs.
              I totally get you.

Yet strangely I forces beyond my control pulling On me to try the Kirmuss out. Maybe starting just cleaning new LPs. Then adding a few treasured LPs. But the KLaudio will handle the bulk of the record cleaning.

Comment

I'd love to see a panel on record cleaning featuring both Charles Kirmuss and Neil Antin.
                Analog: Holbo Turntable, VdH Crimson Strad XGW; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Proteus; Rega RP-8, VAS Nova Mono
                Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                  But the KLaudio will handle the bulk of the record cleaning.
                  If you have the KLAudio, why would you consider the Kirmuss? The Kirmuss machine looks inferior and you could supplement the KLAudio with the manual cleaning (and "rabbit cloth" BS) that the Kirmuss provides.

I ask this question as someone who is on the lookout for a KLAudio machine and would appreciate any feedback that would make me stop looking....

Speakers: Rockport Avior
                  Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
                  Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                  Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
                  Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
                  Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                  Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

Comment

Finally finished watching this (I did skip a minute or three, here and there). Some thoughts I have -

1. (1:47:47) I can't imagine needing to clean my records to the bone more often than, say, every fifty plays. Even my favorites don't get played more than a dozen times a year. I don't think a 1% solution of Liquinox, followed by diligent rinsing, is going to harm them to a degree that I actually notice.

2. (1:51:05) Did he just say that using the Kirmuss after having used other chemicals would damage the record?

3. (2:08:55) I also have this same feeling regarding bad new pressings received.

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post

If you have the KLAudio, why would you consider the Kirmuss? The Kirmuss machine looks inferior and you could supplement the KLAudio with the manual cleaning (and "rabbit cloth" BS) that the Kirmuss provides.

I ask this question as someone who is on the lookout for a KLAudio machine and would appreciate any feedback that would make me stop looking....
                      Did you get a chance to watch Kirmuss’ presentation? That explains why. In part, getting that hard to remove mold release compound off the record.

Comment

Originally posted by seamonster View Post
                        Finally finished watching this (I did skip a minute or three, here and there). Some thoughts I have -

1. (1:47:47) I can't imagine needing to clean my records to the bone more often than, say, every fifty plays. Even my favorites don't get played more than a dozen times a year. I don't think a 1% solution of Liquinox, followed by diligent rinsing, is going to harm them to a degree that I actually notice.

2. (1:51:05) Did he just say that using the Kirmuss after having used other chemicals would damage the record?

3. (2:08:55) I also have this same feeling regarding bad new pressings received.

#2 If memory serves me right, wasn’t it the other way around. Don’t use his cleaning fluid with other machines?

Maybe this answers your question?

https://kirmussaudio.com/safety-first/

Comment

• seamonster
                          seamonster commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "...wasn’t it the other way around."

I listened several times, Myles, and it sure sounds like he's saying his restoration process will aggravate whatever loss in the LPs
                          vinyl composition previous agents caused.
                          I'll just continue slogging along in the trenches with my brushes and RCM. I'm always interested in hearing about different methods, though.

Originally posted by squasher View Post

Maybe Andre can answer your question too?

i think the distilled water rinse that Andre did at the end of the cleaning process is no longer done.

Comment

I currently use an Ultrasonic Cleaner in combination with a Loricraft to clean approximately 9 records in about an hour. The process is time-consuming and is almost completely manual. Because it's such a pain, I seldom get around to cleaning records.

It's my hope that my next cleaning machine will be pain-free and automatic and will, therefore, encourage me to use it with much more regularity.

I'm expecting that the KLAudio will suit my needs more closely and I'm hoping to hear feedback that it works well or doesn't. If you're considering adding another machine (the Kirmuss), it tells me that you're not completely happy with the KLAudio. I am also not considering the AudioDeske as I am of the opinion that is ticking time-bomb waiting to break down.

As an aside, the Kirmuss "restoration" process may indeed be a better cleaning process but I'm pretty sure it will sit on my shelf, too, if it is a pain in the ass to use for occasional cleaning.
                          Speakers: Rockport Avior
                          Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
                          Preamp: Pass Labs XS
                          Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
                          Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
                          Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
                          Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

Comment

Working...
                          X