Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acoustic Sounds Announces The Titles for the Reel-to-Reel Tape Series!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Sounds Announces The Titles for the Reel-to-Reel Tape Series!

More to come at RMAF
    To Acoustic Sounds series subscribers,

Ready your ears for something special! From Acoustic Sounds, Inc., the world leader in audiophile music sales, comes the highest quality analog reel-to-reel tape album reissues — Analogue Productions Ultra Tape! Twelve masterpiece titles are featured in this new reissue series, each a 15 ips, ¼-inch analog tape copy sourced from a copy of the original analog master tape. Transferred real-time, using an ATR-modified Ampex Tape Machine with flux magnetic heads. Each copy is housed in a custom slipcase cover.

The first two titles — Janis Ian's Breaking Silence and Ben Webster's Gentle Benare slated to be released before 2016 ends. Analogue Productions is the vinyl, SACD and now audio tape reissue label owned by Acoustic Sounds.

The remaining titles include: Rickie Lee Jones' It's like This / Hugh Masakela's Hope /Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances (the famous Turnabout recording) / Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Scheherazade (RCA Living Stereo) / Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Pines of Rome and Fountains of Rome (RCA Living Stereo) / Leopold Stokowski's Rhapsodies (RCA Living Stereo) / René Leibowitz and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra The Power of The Orchestra (RCA Living Stereo) / Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Lieutenant Kije and Stravinksy's Song of the Nightingale (RCA Living Stereo) / Abel /Steinberg - Beethoven Violin Sonata (Wilson Audio) / and Lowell Graham's Winds of War & Peace (Wilson Audio).

Each reissue copy is priced at $450. The entire series is available by subscription and subscribers will pay for 11 titles and receive the 12th one free!

Acoustic Sounds has enlisted Gus Skinas, of the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colo., to handle the tape transfers, which are made using the Ampex Tape Machines in the control room at Blue Heaven Studios, here in Salina.

For more than a year, at every trade show and on more and more phone calls and emails, our customers have hammered away with the same request: “When are you going to start selling tape?!”

You spoke, we listened. We know tape's advantages: greater dynamic range, especially at frequency extremes; minimal signal processing; and unsurpassed richness and realism — it's the closest to hearing the master tape. You're going to be blown away when you experience playback of our Ultra Tape reissues from Analogue Productions! Order your subscription today!

Karen Krecklow
    Subscriptions Manager
    [email protected]
    !

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

After spending months trying to imagine what the possibilities were going to be, I am extremely disappointed by the titles that have been announced....

sorry to say it....
    Speakers: Rockport Avior
    Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
    Preamp: Pass Labs XS
    Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
    Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
    Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
    Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
      After spending months trying to imagine what the possibilities were going to be, I am extremely disappointed by the titles that have been announced....

sorry to say it....
      Could you expand on your statement?

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Just the opposite for me. I am very pleased with the quantity and quality of the classical titles. Very happy that Chad was able to get the permission on the RCA titles. Have no idea about the Rickie Lee Jones and Hugh Masakela titles. Don't know about Ben Webster, except for the Jacintha album "Here's to Ben" which I have on R2R.

I know where my next $5K is going. Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Those are great titles in my book! Breaking Silence and Hope are great albums, and the classical titles are to die for IMO!

Now which kidney should I sell...
          Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

• Rob
            Rob commented
            Editing a comment
            Kidney? I was wondering which one of my boys would fetch more agreed, they are great titles and at the very least a GREAT start.

• Boblaclune
            Boblaclune commented
            Editing a comment
            They have the first two titles , Breaking Silence and Gentle Ben at RMAFright now in limited stock

I'm just curious whether too heavy on classical, not enough jazz, etc?

BTW, Gentle Ben is an amazing recording and if you can't get the tape definitely get the LP.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure those are fantastic Classical Titles and will sound fabulous. In all likelihood, I'll buy a number of the tapes in the collection.

Bottom line: I was hoping for some classic rock and was anticipating at least a few titles in the catalog....

When it was announced that Chad was getting into the fray (and had "access to all the great music"), perhaps I was expecting too much.
            Speakers: Rockport Avior
            Amp: Ypsilon Aelius Mk II (Silver Edition)
            Preamp: Pass Labs XS
            Phono preamp: EMIA LR Phono Corrector, Slagle Silver SUTs
            Phono: Continuum Criterion, Kuzma 4-Point, Lyra Etna SL Lambda
            Digital: dCS Network Bridge, dCS Scarlatti DAC
            Tape: Studer A80 RC, Doshi V3.0

Comment

Originally posted by squasher View Post
              Yes, I'm sure those are fantastic Classical Titles and will sound fabulous. In all likelihood, I'll buy a number of the tapes in the collection.

Bottom line: I was hoping for some classic rock and was anticipating at least a few titles in the catalog....

When it was announced that Chad was getting into the fray (and had "access to all the great music"), perhaps I was expecting too much.
              I understand where you are coming from. When Chad and I talked in April, I mentioned he needed a blockbuster rock title (s). I wouldn't discount some eventually down the line. Me thinks the issue is that the rock titles are the hardest to obtain and probably the most expensive to license. To boot, Chad may want to see that the project takes off before committing the money necessary to secure blockbuster titles. Perhaps some of the rock titles that Chad already reissued on LP like The Doors LA Woman, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Yes Fragile or Cat Stevens TFTT might have been a good place to start.

No classical lover can be upset with the four RCA titles Chad chose especially Kije (actually Song of the Nightingale on the B-side) and Scheherazade. And I'd be happy with a copy of the RLJ tape! Chad's LP reissue is certainly a keeper.

Comment

I pre-ordered 4 titles. I hope they are ccir eq. No mention on the website.
                Christian
                System Gear

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would assume so. All the new tapes, save for the Groove Notes or ones that you can choose, are IEC EQ. But I'll double check for you when I see Chad later this week.

• Joe Pittman
                  Joe Pittman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Acoustic Sounds web site indicates they are IEC equalization.

I like the titles and would love to own them. Of course he doesn't seem to be selling an actual tape deck so the tapes won't do me any good.
                Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

Comment

I wish them the most success.

Comment

This is obviously awesome news for many tapeheads and it's nice to see at least a few non-Jazz or Classical titles. Chad I'm sure will do a great job and these tapes should be of the highest standard....well, they better be at the price.

However, I have a beef (surprise)....well, not so much a beef as a disappointment.

The vast majority, and I mean vast by miles, of tape owners don't have 15ips capability. Why is only that segment being paid attention to? Yes, I know about quality and such, so I don't need an explanation as to the attributes of 15ips versus slower speeds, but why not put out 7.5ips as well? Does the industry not think such a market exists?
                    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it's a matter of time and demand. There's only so many machines for duping (I think TTP has six and Chad will have six) and the 15 ips tape production take them up full time. I would take a look at the Horch House website though. They are producing both 71/2 and 15 ips tapes.

Is this the last time you guys are going to buy those RCA titles?
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                      This is obviously awesome news for many tapeheads and it's nice to see at least a few non-Jazz or Classical titles. Chad I'm sure will do a great job and these tapes should be of the highest standard....well, they better be at the price.

However, I have a beef (surprise)....well, not so much a beef as a disappointment.

The vast majority, and I mean vast by miles, of tape owners don't have 15ips capability. Why is only that segment being paid attention to? Yes, I know about quality and such, so I don't need an explanation as to the attributes of 15ips versus slower speeds, but why not put out 7.5ips as well? Does the industry not think such a market exists?
                      I agree, a real time mastered 7.5 ips tape can sound quite good indeed. Much better than the mass produced high speed copied tapes of old.
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

I think the question for Chad will be what is the difference in cost for him to do 1/4" tape at 7.5IPS (NAB eq) in real time vs. 15ips. And most important, what is the market for such tapes. Also I think the vast majority of tape machines that Johnny is talking about are 4 track stereo machines (that is the tapes are recorded in both directions), rather than 2 track machines. So one would only have 1/4 the amount of signal on the tape compared with 15ips 2 track and there are issues with bleed through from the signal coming from the other direction.

If one compares the tape price (since the labor is about the same) of a 1200' foot reel of 1/4" tape, vs. a 2500' foot reel of 1/2" tape, it is about $25-35 per reel. That means for a 2 reeler (most of Chad's announced titles are 2 reelers) the differential cost would be about $50-70. So If that were applied to the retail price, a 7.5in 2 track album (2 reels) would price out at $380 per album, vs. $450 per album for the 15ips 2 track.

If Chad were to make 7.5ips 4 track stereo tapes, the labor would be at least the same (having to flip over the tapes to record the second side, all in real time) or he would have to get 4 track heads and machines the record simultaneously in both directions (like the prerecorded 4 track stereo tapes used to be made - only in real time rather than sped up multiple times). It would take a major investment in equipment to have enough machines to get the price down, which I think would be a necessity for regular non 15ips tape machine owners.

Larry

Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.7KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                          Johnny Vinyl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for that explanation Larry!

• MylesBAstor
                          MylesBAstor commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good point. But there are 2-track and the Technics machines for instance can do 2 and 4-track tapes.

I think HH is 2-track 71/2 ips.
                      Working...
                      X