New Reed 5T Tonearm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Reed 5T Tonearm

Click image for larger version  Name:	17264141_626988064152786_1174242902459187156_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	47167
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17352226_626988034152789_5548944497083894857_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	47168
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17353140_626988040819455_7641802934894483821_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	47169
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17264147_626988984152694_4180063029164435623_n.png Views:	1 Size:	173.7 KB ID:	47170
    Click image for larger version  Name:	17342925_626989674152625_3479301150777171711_n.png Views:	1 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	47171
    Reed 5T

New Tonarm Reed 5 T it's nothing short of an attempt to create one of the most technically complex and at the same time, sophisticated tonarmov compared with all the models that have established industry for all of the time elapsed. The design of this tonearm should be considered more in comparison with the tonearm tangential than with conventional turning. It combines elements of design, but bending tonearm working principle and correction of errors on the corner of a few other, more like a working principle tonearm tangential. It is based on teoreme falesa.

Deciphering to sketch:
    O2, P1, P3 - a semicircle falesa
    Angles P1-P3 A1-A2 P1-P3-P1-A3-P3 ALL EQUAL 90 degrees
    Segments of a1b1 = A2b2= A3b3 Rukazyvayut length tonarma
    B - the vertical axis tonarma
    P2 - Center of the circle, carried out through the points - b1, b2 and b3 (the axis of rotation tonarma)
    P3 - Linear Sensor
    Bp3 - a laser beam

The System of tubes hanging tonearm Reed 5 T is similar to that used a model's Reed 3 P, and rotating machinery is built on the basis of an upscale podshipnika. Turning Tonearm system is managed, with the assistance of the electric motor, and the position of the tonarma is monitored with the help of laser beams and the host of the sensor.
    Have Tube Tonearm Reed 5 T shift, and through this we can pick up the necessary effective mass in the range from 10 to 16 grams. Elevation and azimuth customizable, in addition to the design of the tonearm has a built-in level for visual control of the situation.

In Comparison To Classic Pivoting Constructs Tonearm Reed 5 T has the following advantages:

Less moment of inertia
    No need to use the joints anti-skating force
    The Maximum Error Groove! Journey was in the range of + /- 0.005 degrees (in comparison, turning tonarmov error can be th 1,5 degrees)

In comparison with the tangential tonearm Reed 5 T There's advantages:

Less moment of inertia
    The absence of the need to use the complex design of the additional elements, such as the air compressors
    More compact and neat designs
    The same effective mass on the vertical and horizontal planes

Passport Details:

Executive Distance: 251 mm
    The Maximum Error Groove! En Route: + /- 0.005 degrees
    The effective mass: 12 G (commissioned by 7.5-15 g)
    Settings for height depending on the thickness of the disc player: ranging from 28 to 48 mm.
    The accuracy of the height of the settings: + /- 0.2 mm
    Configuring the azimuth: + /- 8 degrees
    The power of a pressure: 1-3 grams
    The accuracy of the built-in level: + /- 1 MM / m
    Food in case of a motor: 12 v DC.
    Allowable weight heads 5.5-19.5 G (commissioned by 4-25 g)
    The scope of supply is the template for the markings tonearm anchorages, subject to the difference between the plane of the installation disk tonearm and not less than 29 mm.
    Replacement Shells.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

It is always interesting with a new tonearm concept.
    I hope it will not be the same fiddly, pointless yet nice sounding crap that the 3p is.

Comment

That looks like a problem in search of a solution.
      Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocs and LR phono, OMA Parallax integrated, Emia remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm, Miyajima Kansui, Premium BE, Denon 103, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB.

Comment

• Rob
        Rob commented
        Editing a comment
        my first thought too. or solving one problem and creating three new ones.

Don't understand why tangential arms are supposed to be THE standard when they all have their own issues and many sound like crap! Laser, sensors, motor sounds expensive but nothing that I want on a tonearm, KISS!

david
      Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers.
      Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
      Systems, showroom links:
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no perfect arm, linear or pivoted. But linear tracking arms, properly setup, are capable of amazing things. The Air Tangent played less than perfect LPs-and with minimal noise and even skipping-that caused pivoted arms to wave the white flag. Plus the resolution, sense of space and top end extension was spectacular. Not to mention less of that change in sound across the record. YMMV....😄

I am very curious to hear the new VPI 14-inch arm with no headshell offset, designed to account for the additional mass the length brings, sounds.

• david k
        david k commented
        Editing a comment
        As do pivoted arms and the best of them are much easier to set up than any tangential one. The sound is too dependent on the pump quality and air pressure, too many variables for my simple tastes. My mileage did vary...

david

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        A little pain and suffering is good for the soul. ❤️

That's a head scratcher.
      I presume some details may have been lost in the translated text that goes with those photos.

They lost me at: "The System of tubes hanging tonearm Reed 5 T is similar to that used a model's Reed 3 P, and rotating machinery is built on the basis of an upscale podshipnika."

-Steve

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it was via google translate. I tried when possible to guesstimate what was meant.

• user510
        user510 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still getting used to the geometry at play in this arm. A couple more days of staring at it might help. :^}

Maybe we should wait to hear how it sounds before criticising the design. If it is the best sounding ever and a game changer, then the design is justified.

If it does not sound any better, then let's have at it. There is nothing more pathetic to me than a well executed (and expensive) bad design.
      Room 1 Music Reference featuring Genesis G2.2 JR loudspeakers. Also see my Philosophy.

Comment

I'd rather just buy one of the Thales arms. Simplicity, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
          Maybe we should wait to hear how it sounds before criticising the design. If it is the best sounding ever and a game changer, then the design is justified.

If it does not sound any better, then let's have at it. There is nothing more pathetic to me than a well executed (and expensive) bad design.
          Tannoy Glenair, April Sound SET 50 monoblocs and LR phono, OMA Parallax integrated, Emia remote attenuator and Strain Gauge, AE 208 TT, Abis 1.2BCS arm, Miyajima Kansui, Premium BE, Denon 103, Mac Mini w/ Roon, Bel Canto RefLink, Dac 3.5VB.

Comment

a motor (with its inherent vibrations) to constantly correct positions? Lets hear what it sounds like, but seems like a simpler arm might win the aural crown..

Comment

Ah, a technology thread - this is refreshing.

Look forward to both real world setup, usage and listening reports. Who will make arm boards for it? Which tables Can accommodate it? Hope we'll hear more on this arm.

Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Ξtron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post

There's a lot of analog experience on this forum Joe, somethings you know instinctively if they're any good or not and many of us here are also familiar with Reed's previous arms. I wonder if it's the arm tracking the grooves and the motor catching up or the laser reading the grooves and with the motor pushing the arm forward, either way I see trouble and parts that can fail!

david
                Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers.
                Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
                Systems, showroom links:
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by Beaur View Post
                  That looks like a problem in search of a solution.
                  If I understand the diagram correctly, it looks like spindle-to-pivot changes position as the arm moves across the record from B3 to B1 (the green line length is fixed/constant), thus keeping the arm tangential to the groove. An innovative concept but difficult to execute to perfection without a DARPA budget.

Personally I have never bought off on the pursuit of zero angular error like in tangential arms anyway. Too many trade-offs. The fact that the groove length shortens from outside to inside because of the CAV nature of LP's is much more audible in my opinion.

I would say the design is a solution to a problem that does not exist (or is insignificant).
                  Room 1 Music Reference featuring Genesis G2.2 JR loudspeakers. Also see my Philosophy.

Comment

• tima
                    tima commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ... or even one whose resolution can be heard?

Put that DARPA budget on the lathe end.

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    if you graph the tracing distortion of even a 9" pivoted arm, its on the order of hundredths of a percent (mostly 2nd order) and in all likelihood drowned out by the intrinsic noise floor of the vinyl itself. that said, the best Linear trackers like the Rockport and Versa bring a certain something (sonic benefit) that's not so easy to describe.

Looks like the concept is similar to how the B&O 4002 linear tracking arm works, except this arm pivot rotates instead of being on a linear sled.

Comment

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"- Wow, did they every take the solution the wrong way from a complexity point of view. I hope its construction equates to something outstanding sonically.

l
                    Front end: Aesthetix Io Signature with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM
                    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2 - Custom Direct Drive to supply Beveridge Electrostatics
                    Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

TFC- Too Frickin' Complex
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                      X