Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beatles (White album) is getting a remix.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    The original stereo mix is excellent and its also a fine recording. No need for a stinkin remix.
    Remixing goes back to the original multi-track tapes as the source. You are therefore eliminating a whole tape generation which is an audible improvement in SQ. Every tape generation (tape to tape transfer) generates more distortion, more noise, more wow/flutter and reduces transient response.

If the re-mix is done well ( a big IF and a whole other topic), it should improve SQ. Cleaner, more alive sound.

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      that's just my point, the original mix is fine and the recording IS already clean and alive.

This is what I always thought the difference was. I found this on the SHForum.

In layman's terms:

A remix of a song generally means rearranging parts of the song, adding or subtracting tracks, changing the emphasis on certain instruments, and could involve lengthening it for "extended dance remixes", etc.. The result does not sound the same as the original song. It's a different version.

A remaster means adjusting the quality of the individual tracks on the original song in an attempt to improve it, but the original structure of the song stays intact. In other words, it's still the same song, just (hopefully) better sounding.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
      Too bad there is no SHM of the beetles that would be great. SHM may be digital but it's still great music and quality. My songs in the key of life is amazing. I think it may be a remix it has sounds the others I have do not.
      I have only heard one SHM CD and it was Steely Dan Aja. The guy that played it for me was proud of it. I thought it blew dangling donkey appendages. Since he had a turntable, I asked him if he had Aja on LP. He did, so we cleaned it on his RCM and put it on and he was blown away at how it clearly trounced his SHM copy. And mind you his turntable setup was fairly modest with a mid-level Rega table. That was the beginning and the end of my interest in overpriced SHM CD reissues.
      SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

SHM is very inconsistent. Some sound excellent (many Who, Stones, Elton John, etc albums), but many have even more over-compressed, over-EQ'ed sound than the coresponding US CD's. There is a very good sounding Japanese SACD of Aja, I haven't heard the SHM-CD.

Comment

• mep
          mep commented
          Editing a comment
          Pig in a poke.

Producer Giles Martin confirmed that the Beatles' 1968 self-titled album will be the subject of a forthcoming expanded reissue.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

With all of our favorite classic albums being altered and bugered up permanently via repeated remastering and remixing, before long it will no longer be possible to acquire the original music as it was originally released, except via original vinyl.That should make the value of original vinyl go up in value, its better than new.Its the original music.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
          X