Feinwerktechnik Reels Now Available in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feinwerktechnik Reels Now Available in the US

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1737.JPG Views:	1 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	60955

Pro Audio Ltd. is proud to announce they are now the exclusive importer of the fabulous Feinwerktechnik tape reels for "real" tape-heads. First seen at the recent München show, these "precision" reels are manufactured on CNC machines by Feinwerktechnik in Bavaria to NAB specifications from 1.5 mm stock aircraft aluminum. The cut-outs are laser-cut assuring balanced, wobble-free performance. Reels are Available in 10.5, 12, and 7” versions.

Pro Audio Ltd. will be showing/selling the Feinwerktechnik reels at RMAF 2017. Demos will be done on our Studer B62, ReVox A700, and PR99 with various one-off master tapes.

10.5” reels are $100 retail, 7” and 12” to be determined shortly. Limited stock available now.

For further information contact Brian Tucker:

Pro Audio Ltd.
    email: [email protected]
    Phone: 847-526-1660
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	60966

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Think I asked for the top right reel for review. 😄

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the blue one

• Garth
      Garth commented
      Editing a comment
      Now their is a name that just rolls off the tongue feinwerktechnic just go to the store I want the empty reel with the longest name

From the pics the basic construction design (sans the cut out design options) looks similar to a blank ATR Reel. Will look for a review before I make a purchase decision.
    Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
      jonathanhorwich commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what a blank ATR reel is as all current reels are made by one or two manufacturers and are not great as it is expensive to make a good reel these days. These Feinwerktechnik reels being sold by Pro Audio are much heavier construction and so far they work flawlessly in my studio, Very fine reels. Don't confuse the two as one is cheap, often wobbly, and the other is so far flawless. Hope this helps.

• lance002
      lance002 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have yet to find any reel, new ATR, vintage, or current offerings with or without tape except these German-made reels that do not wobble on my deck at slow rewind speeds (I never rewind at full speed). These machined reels are heavy and quiet; I wonder if this leads to better sound.

Highly recommended.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    From the pics the basic construction design (sans the cut out design options) looks similar to a blank ATR Reel. Will look for a review before I make a purchase decision.
    I hope they are better than ATR reels. They're really cheaply made and the quality of ATR reels is all over the place. I've had some that were horribly warped or out of balance.

One big difference to note. These reels use five rather than three screws. I've had way too many instances lately of all three screws coming lose or even being lost. Especially before became keyed into the problem. Five screws gives me better piece of mind!

In addition, the ATR reels are stamped rather than machined like these on the Reeltronix reels. Not sure what's up with the Reeltronix reels. I was promised one for review ages ago but nothing has materialized. Saw reportedly Greg Beron had one of the new Reeltronix reels and was going to review it. But nothing there either. Anyone recently order and receive their Reeltronix reels?

Comment

Thx, yes I wondered about the reeltronix as well and recall Greg was supposed to do a review for PF.
      Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	61244Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	61245Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	61246Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	61247 I got my Feinwerktechnik reels and have to say I'm duly impressed with them. Great build quality, seem very well balanced and "substantial" feeling. I'm probably the newest guy to tape in this entire forum so some of this may seem pretty mundane, so please bear with me. I have no idea why take up reels would grab my fancy as they have, but they have. So I've purchased 4 different ones so far. I know the adage "don't sweat the small stuff", but sometimes I have a hard time deciding what the small stuff is. One of the other brands I got was Righteous Reels. They too have 5 screws and better than average. While maybe not quite the same build quality (or price) of the Feinwerktechnik, they do have one feature I like. It's that little slot to thread the end of the tape into to begin take up. Without it I just let the tail out the side and use the adhesive to hold it down. I read somewhere to NEVER use the adhesive to hold it like that. What say the experts on this? What do you do?
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
        Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
        Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
        SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
        Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
        Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
        Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
        Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
        Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
        Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
        Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
        Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
        CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
        Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
        DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
        Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
        Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, Massif Audio Design, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• jonathanhorwich
          jonathanhorwich commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct. Never use the adhesive ever to hold the tape down. Hard to explain how to do it correctly in a short write-up but you basically hold the end of the tape down on the hub of the reel and turn the reel so the next layer of tape holds that end down and in place. Slowly hand-wind with some tension on the reel and it will grab and hold ready to rewind. When firmly grabbing then and only then hit rewind.

I have several reels from them. They also supply Open Reel Records and STS. In Europe, the reels are sold direct on EBAY by Tonbandspule.de which is a division of Feinwektechnik.

Comment

• lance002
          lance002 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 and if you buy 10, 15 or 20 through eBay the shipping from Germany to US remains the same dollar amount as shipping for 5 reels; each reel comes in a superb cardboard box (either gray or blue).

How do you order these in NA ? any website?
        Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• timztunz
          timztunz commented
          Editing a comment
          I sent an email to Brian Tucker at Pro Audio. The contact info is in Myles original post.

Name:	20170806_095840.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	61326

Comment

There's another plus to their reels. They come in a 14-inch version. Not so much for audiophiles but for recording engineers where 14-inch reels are highly sought after for 30-ips recordings.

Comment

As I am about to get 12-inch pancakes, I ordered 12 inch-reels from Tonbandspule.de. You get a discount when you are buying a batch of 5 reels. You can see the direct comparison between their 10,5-inch and 12-inch reels (same design). As usual, the quality is top notch (what else would you expect from Bavaria?). I am seriously considering buying some additional 10,5 reels to replace the few awfully wobbling ones that I have in my tape collection.

Last edited by dcc; 09-10-2017, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Nice tape packing.

Name:	20180313_223732.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	82748

Comment

Working...
              X