conrad-johnson Releases New ET7 Linestage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conrad-johnson Releases New ET7 Linestage

Click image for larger version  Name:	ET7_silo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	62822

Conrad-Johnson Announces: New Enhanced Triode Line-Stage

Conrad-Johnson Design is pleased to announce the release of our latest line-stage preamplifier, the ET7. The ET7 incorporates the advances in regulated power supply design debuted in our GAT Series 2 line stage while closely following the GAT audio circuit. The ET7 boasts the same extreme quality parts found in the GAT. The incredible CJD Teflon capacitors are used throughout the audio circuit and for the regulated plate voltage power supply filter and storage capacitors, but in the interests of bringing GAT- like performance to a more affordable price, the ET7 reduces the total capacitance in power supplies and output coupling. Like the GAT Series 2, the ET7 uses all Vishay resistors in the audio circuit and in the associated power supplies.

The ET7 features styling that distinguishes it as a new product yet clearly show its conrad-johnson heritage. The ET7 replaces the discontinued ET5.

The US suggested retail price for the ET7 is $9500. Deliveries have already begun.

###

conrad-johnson It just sounds right.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

pushbutton volume control? been there done that, ekk.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Metamatic
      Metamatic commented
      Editing a comment
      As Myles says, you use the remote. 0.7db gain steps that is very easy to use and allows for precise volume setting.

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I have remote volume control with my current setup and I use the front panel control much more often than the remote. The major problem with
      pushbutton volume control compared to a dial is its way too slow to get where you want, especially if the signal is way too loud.

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I know the ergonomics of the pushbutton volume, I owned a preamp with that and hated it, never again.

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    pushbutton volume control? been there done that, ekk.
    You rarely use the volume control. The ET7 comes with a heavy duty remote control.

And I've had no problems with the volume control in either the ART (12 years) or GAT (7 years) preamps.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The only drawback of cj volume control is 0.7dB gain steps. Sonically it's one of the best but I think it would be time for cj to upgrade it to have 0.1dB or 0.2dB steps. If it would be a little less loud wouldn't hurt either. This system is more than 20 years old after all. It was introduced in 1995 with the Premier 14.
      Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART monos; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG/Emperor Mk2; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        High gain preamps/linestages benefit from finer attenuation volume controls by allowing them to work with a broader range amps with high voltage output. Gain on my CJ PV-8 is ~31dB!

• Metamatic
        Metamatic commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you hear 0.1 or 0.2db gain changes? Why would that be preferable?
        Personally I have never been left with too soft or too loud with the 0.7db gain system.
        Perhaps 0.5db gain may work better, but the cj pre amps have 99 volume steps. Unity gain was 66 with the ART, not sure with the GAT.
        To go to lower steps would be a major change one would think.

• Marcus
        Marcus commented
        Editing a comment
        You're mostly right met. This is perhaps more of a gain problem than gain steps. One doesn't need 0.1dB steps at medium or higher volume but at lower volume I would need at lest 10-20 steps below 1 on volume scale. If cj line stages would not have such high gain, this "problem" wouldn't exist. I imagine achieving lower gain in a line stage would be cheaper than designing a new volume control.
    Working...
    X