• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ApplePi DAC - Highest Performance Rpi DAC Launched

Check it out here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...spberry-pi-dac

Reviews:
    The Audio Beatnik:
    "Ok, specs are great and all, but how did it really sound? Frankly, very good, surprisingly good." and "The mid-range and truthiness of the music rivaled that of the other DACs I have on hand that cost significantly more."
    Read the full review at this link:
    http://theaudiobeatnik.com/applepi-d...-and-it-shows/

Volumio's Founder -- Michelangelo:
    "Sound-stage and spatial resolution are just excellent." and "This DAC is producing the most detailed sound to ever come out of my Raspberry PI, all the subtle nuances of my test tracks were there and clearly distinguished from everything else."
    Read the full review at this link:
    https://volumio.org/forum/orchard-au...iew-t9633.html

After one day we are funded 16%. Great start!
    We are aiming for 500%.

Comment

With only two days into the project we already have more than 50% funding. We are aiming for 500%.

Comment

With an SNR of 128dB and a THD+N of 0.0005% the ApplePi DAC blows away the competion.

Comment

So what does a complete turn key digital storage and playback system cost. 1TB storage with spotify /Tidal comparability. Streaming digital radio stations would be a nice added bonus. Ability to rip CD to storage device. Thanks.
          Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
            So what does a complete turn key digital storage and playback system cost. 1TB storage with spotify /Tidal comparability. Streaming digital radio stations would be a nice added bonus. Ability to rip CD to storage device. Thanks.
            I am not sure what you are asking?

You are able to accomplish all of those items using a RaspberryPi.

You can get the full ApplePi DAC system for $374 then add the 1TB storage and a CD player to RIP the music. Streaming digital radio stations does not require any additional work. You just need to choose the software that you want to use.

Comment

So your saying a fully functional micro computer, in a case, complete with power supply, operating software and integral DAC can be bought for $374. Just plug the RCA out into a stereo preamp or amp and control the unit with a phone or laptop via wifi. Is this correct? I understand you have to pay for Spotify and Tidal. Do you also have to purchase software to stream stored music or rip cd to an external drive.

Thanks
              Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

So your saying a fully functional micro computer, in a case, complete with power supply, operating software and integral DAC can be bought for $374. Just plug the RCA out into a stereo preamp or amp and control the unit with a phone or laptop via wifi. Is this correct? I understand you have to pay for Spotify and Tidal. Do you also have to purchase software to stream stored music or rip cd to an external drive.

Thanks
                Yes full micro computer for $374, it is ready to play music and be controlled by a phone. There is not a case please see picture it comes with an acrylic stand.

All software to do those items if free minus the ones that you mentioned.

Comment

I will be doing a demo of the ApplePi DAC and the CRISPIN amplifier in Long Island, NY on April 28th, There is room for a few more people. If you would be interested in attending send me a PM to get full info.

Comment

Thanks but I'm in Seattle. I just know people who would possibly spring for an inexpensive digital system. They would want it in a case and plug and play. The people I know at that price point just want to hear music. They want noting to do with understanding how it happens.

Comment

Thanks but I'm in Seattle. I just know people who would possibly spring for an inexpensive digital system. They would want it in a case and plug and play. The people I know at that price point just want to hear music. They want noting to do with understanding how it happens.
                      It pretty much is plug and play, you just plug it into ethernet and control from your phone or computer

I can't make it any easier than that.

Comment

The ApplePi DAC will be supported by:
                        -- piCorePlayer starting version 3.5.0
                        -- DietPi starting version 6.5

Attached Files

Comment

Like the guy from the Audio Beat review said, I don' get the details. To me, something does not seem complete in what you offer. I have fiddled with enough servers and consulted with enough people to have developed a belief that all computers, no matter the board size need a power ssupply. Like the Sonore Micro Rendu for $375 or so, built on a board such as you use, requires a power supply. To get really good sound from the Sonore requires a $1,400 power supply. An IFI supply for $75 works, but you start getting fatigue with inexpensive units.
                          So, does your unit somehow run off the voltage from the interconnects. Does it ship with a power supply ? To get the performance noted in reviews, what power supply is used. If a power supply is used, how do you plug it in ? I dont see any molex connectors. Thanks.

Comment

I am pleased to announce the support of Roon. The ApplePi DAC and Raspberry Pi combo can be turned into a Roon Network Endpoint.

Comment

Like the guy from the Audio Beat review said, I don' get the details. To me, something does not seem complete in what you offer. I have fiddled with enough servers and consulted with enough people to have developed a belief that all computers, no matter the board size need a power ssupply. Like the Sonore Micro Rendu for $375 or so, built on a board such as you use, requires a power supply. To get really good sound from the Sonore requires a $1,400 power supply. An IFI supply for $75 works, but you start getting fatigue with inexpensive units.
                              So, does your unit somehow run off the voltage from the interconnects. Does it ship with a power supply ? To get the performance noted in reviews, what power supply is used. If a power supply is used, how do you plug it in ? I dont see any molex connectors. Thanks.
                              The final version of the DAC will have it's own power supply connector so that you can power the DAC and the RaspberryPi from separate power supplies if you so choose.

You can also power the DAC though the Raspberry Pi's power supply. In this case you will need a 5.25V power supply in order not to starve the unit of power. Please read the Kickstarter page in full.

Either way you decide to power the unit you will get the specified performance - This is because the incoming power supply is not used by analog audio circuits. All audio power supplies are generated locally on the ApplePi DAC.

Comment

Working...
                              X