Hi from Dave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Dave

Please call me Dave, not 'Daudio', thanks!

I'm a recent refugee from the top-down troll & bully playground that used to be called CA. Took me 8 years there to learn better (well there were/are a few good folks there). Now I look forward to contributing to what seems like a nice little oasis of sanity and civility in the online audio world.

I spent my career in various aspects of the computer industry, so have enough tech merit badges, if that means anything, to anyone. In 1977 I became an audiophile thanks to some fine people at a local audio salon (ARC, Quad, Magnapan, etc). Most of the years since then I've pursued this hobby to a greater or lesser degree. Since late 2010, I've been building my digital audio library and playback source, and quite enjoy this new frontier.

While I aspire to high end audio performance, my budget demands some creativity and a smidgen of compromise (don't we all?). Learning fine price/performance gear, buying used, "less is more", and some DIY have achieved an affordable sound quality I'm not ashamed to demo to anyone.

I've belonged to a number of audio clubs over the years, through all have since fallen by the wayside, which have enhanced my knowledge of audio and music. I guess I see online audio forums as similar (when they actually work socially and educationally). Having spent a little time looking around at the sub-forums, some threads & posts here, I'm very hopeful

A few little quirks about me: I like electrostatic speakers (Acoustat !!), and thus save myself billions of brain cells not having to learn about 6 million different box speakers ! Also try to build simplicity of path into my audio systems, while addressing the important details like clean power, cable dressing, vibration control, etc.

Musically I'm a bit odd. I have happily pursued many different music genres throughout my life (some maybe not so 'respectable'). I taught myself classical in the late '80s through two fine radio stations and intuitive choices at Peaches Records (Argo, EMI, L'oiseau-Lyre, etc.). I don't listen to it so much since I (belatedly) moved to CD's, then digital. I didn't realize that for many years, but my system is now up to the task, I just have to catch up...

Since the turn of this century my preferred music has been various types of Electronic music (ambient, chill, downtempo, trance, techno). I love the new timbres, sounds, combinations, creativity, and almost endless sources of new music. And surprisingly, it can be often be quite challenging of a good audio system !

So, Hi, and I'll be getting to know you better soon,

Dave
    (I can't control the damn Smilies yet )

Analog: modded Yamaha PX-2, Denon DL-103r, MFA Magus preamp, Mogami/Vampire/DIY cables
    Digital: Firewire ext. HDD, modded Mac Mini server, Intona/Regen/Curious USB chain, (3x)ultralow noise LPSUs
    2-channel: Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Crown XLS2500, Acoustat Spectra 3300, (2x)Velodyne 12" servo subs
    Other: OPPO BDP-103, DIY and Nordost Blue Heaven cables, all speakers and gear floated on DIY rollerblocks

Hi Dave!

Glad to have you aboard. Your post had me rolling!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

and . Good to have you here. This is the oasis of sanity for audiophiles on the iNet.

Ed
      Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof.
      https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: VPI Prime, 3 Belt Drive, Dual Pivot, ADS, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Liberty B2B-1, Sky 30 Trans, Stereo Squares Dust Cover
      Amp: Rogue RP-9 + Schiit Loki + Parasound A21
      Speakers: Magnepan MMC2 + DW-M + REL T5/i
      Digital: TASCAM UH-7000, Pioneer DV-47Ai, NAD C446, Schiit Modi Multibit
      Headphones: Stax Lambda Pro, Focal Clear, Schiit Lyr 2
      Wires: Kimber Hero + 8TC + AQ Leopard

Comment

Welcome Dave!
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
        DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply.
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Hello, Dave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A19711FD-E7A2-4CBF-8FC6-66F749C65110.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	107378
          SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, BAT VK-D5 (diy ‘six-pak’ upgrade), Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver/dac (for Spotify), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signatures, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, Shotgun S1 Proline (cd player), Shotgun S1 speaker cable, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Burson Soloist SL, Sennheiser HD-600, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

Welcome
            Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Rogue Audio Sphinx Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Originally posted by Nscohen17 View Post
              Hello, Dave.
              Dave's not here, man, he got too high and evolved...
              Analog: modded Yamaha PX-2, Denon DL-103r, MFA Magus preamp, Mogami/Vampire/DIY cables
              Digital: Firewire ext. HDD, modded Mac Mini server, Intona/Regen/Curious USB chain, (3x)ultralow noise LPSUs
              2-channel: Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Crown XLS2500, Acoustat Spectra 3300, (2x)Velodyne 12" servo subs
              Other: OPPO BDP-103, DIY and Nordost Blue Heaven cables, all speakers and gear floated on DIY rollerblocks

Comment

• Nscohen17
                Nscohen17 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going for HAL, not Cheech & Chong, but spacey is spacey... 😉 Welcome to the forum.

• Daudio
                Daudio commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't Dave evolve into the Space Child
                I reserve the right to mix metaphors, references, whatever. & love Sci-Fi since boyhood, so nice post.

• Daudio
                Daudio commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh ! I just realized you got my avatar image !!! Consciously or not, I don't care

Welcome I too got tried of the troll world of some sites.

I also like the Planner speaker sound CLXs here not perfect but what they do right they do very right IMO only

You should have some interesting posts I think.

A good site brings good people IMO not better just more open minded

Comment

Welcome Dave,

You can't be all bad with a love for Acoustats. I had the servo charged monitors and the Model III's years ago. I still love electrostatics and use Beveridges now.

Welcome here!
                Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

from another Dave.

Comment

Greetings Dave.
                    Speakers, Wilson Audio Sasha 2's; line stage, ARC Ref 6; phono pre ARC Ref 3; Amplifier, ARC Ref 75 SE; turntable, Dr. Feickert Firebird with a Kuzma 14 inch 4 pt and Transfiguration Proteus; CD player Ayre C 5 xe; tuner, Magnum Dynalab MD109 SE; Dr. Feickert Analogue CBPS; Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; Transparent Audio Isolator 8; Transparent Super cables and IC's; and a Atocha Designs Record Cabinet

Comment

Acoustsat fan here too. I always fancied the Spectra 3 (based on the 3300) which has eluded me for 30+ years, I suspect very few pair were released into the wild. I have a pair of 2+2s in storage that's looking for a new owner. Welcome aboard!
                      Linn Kilmax LP12 | Linn Uphorik | Innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Working...
                      X