X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daudio
    started a topic Hi from Dave

Hi from Dave

Please call me Dave, not 'Daudio', thanks!

I'm a recent refugee from the top-down troll & bully playground that used to be called CA. Took me 8 years there to learn better (well there were/are a few good folks there). Now I look forward to contributing to what seems like a nice little oasis of sanity and civility in the online audio world.

I spent my career in various aspects of the computer industry, so have enough tech merit badges, if that means anything, to anyone. In 1977 I became an audiophile thanks to some fine people at a local audio salon (ARC, Quad, Magnapan, etc). Most of the years since then I've pursued this hobby to a greater or lesser degree. Since late 2010, I've been building my digital audio library and playback source, and quite enjoy this new frontier.

While I aspire to high end audio performance, my budget demands some creativity and a smidgen of compromise (don't we all?). Learning fine price/performance gear, buying used, "less is more", and some DIY have achieved an affordable sound quality I'm not ashamed to demo to anyone.

I've belonged to a number of audio clubs over the years, through all have since fallen by the wayside, which have enhanced my knowledge of audio and music. I guess I see online audio forums as similar (when they actually work socially and educationally). Having spent a little time looking around at the sub-forums, some threads & posts here, I'm very hopeful

A few little quirks about me: I like electrostatic speakers (Acoustat !!), and thus save myself billions of brain cells not having to learn about 6 million different box speakers ! Also try to build simplicity of path into my audio systems, while addressing the important details like clean power, cable dressing, vibration control, etc.

Musically I'm a bit odd. I have happily pursued many different music genres throughout my life (some maybe not so 'respectable'). I taught myself classical in the late '80s through two fine radio stations and intuitive choices at Peaches Records (Argo, EMI, L'oiseau-Lyre, etc.). I don't listen to it so much since I (belatedly) moved to CD's, then digital. I didn't realize that for many years, but my system is now up to the task, I just have to catch up...

Since the turn of this century my preferred music has been various types of Electronic music (ambient, chill, downtempo, trance, techno). I love the new timbres, sounds, combinations, creativity, and almost endless sources of new music. And surprisingly, it can be often be quite challenging of a good audio system !

So, Hi, and I'll be getting to know you better soon,

Dave
    (I can't control the damn Smilies yet )

• Rob
    replied
    Acoustsat fan here too. I always fancied the Spectra 3 (based on the 3300) which has eluded me for 30+ years, I suspect very few pair were released into the wild. I have a pair of 2+2s in storage that's looking for a new owner. Welcome aboard!

Leave a comment:

• Jmwick
    replied
    Greetings Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Audioraven
    replied
    from another Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Daudio
    commented on 's reply
    Oh ! I just realized you got my avatar image !!! Consciously or not, I don't care

• kcin
    replied
    Welcome Dave,

You can't be all bad with a love for Acoustats. I had the servo charged monitors and the Model III's years ago. I still love electrostatics and use Beveridges now.

Welcome here!

Leave a comment:

• Daudio
    commented on 's reply
    Didn't Dave evolve into the Space Child
    I reserve the right to mix metaphors, references, whatever. & love Sci-Fi since boyhood, so nice post.

• Garth
    replied
    Welcome I too got tried of the troll world of some sites.

I also like the Planner speaker sound CLXs here not perfect but what they do right they do very right IMO only

You should have some interesting posts I think.

A good site brings good people IMO not better just more open minded

Leave a comment:

• Nscohen17
    commented on 's reply
    I was going for HAL, not Cheech & Chong, but spacey is spacey... 😉 Welcome to the forum.

• Daudio
    replied
    Originally posted by Nscohen17 View Post
    Hello, Dave.
    Dave's not here, man, he got too high and evolved...

Leave a comment:

• Sgood@verizon.net
    replied
    Welcome

Leave a comment:

• Nscohen17
    replied
    Hello, Dave.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A19711FD-E7A2-4CBF-8FC6-66F749C65110.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	107378

Leave a comment:

• tom_hankins
    replied
    Welcome Dave!

Leave a comment:

• EdAInWestOC
    replied
    and . Good to have you here. This is the oasis of sanity for audiophiles on the iNet.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Hi Dave!

Glad to have you aboard. Your post had me rolling!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X