Hi from KY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for you Myles...
    I've been getting some flack on another forum about the possibility of driving the S7's with my present amp which is an Accuphase A-75.
    It seems some believe that it would not be a good match, even though i was told by Magico directly that it poses no problem for them.
    In brief, what is your take? Thanks.
    - David -
    Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530, A-6, / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 IC,SP, Platimun Electra PC's /Clearaudio Innovation Wood 9" Universal w/My Sonic Lab Ultra Emminent GX, Clearaudio Da Vinci,MCRU Linear PSU / Technics SL-1210GR w/My Sonic Lab Emminent GL / Stillpoints Ultra SS / Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth / Nakamichi Dragon/ Synergistic Research Powercell UEF 12SE PLC, Active Ground Block SE, Black Box / Furutech GTX-D NCF outlets, Flux-50 NCF ,20a dedicated line / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Akiko Audio Corelli PLC. Phono booster, Tuning sticks / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves,Precision Couplers,Segue ISO,Rollerblock Series 2+ / KLAudio RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM

Comment

Dave from another Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Deyoung View Post
        I have a question for you Myles...
        I've been getting some flack on another forum about the possibility of driving the S7's with my present amp which is an Accuphase A-75.
        It seems some believe that it would not be a good match, even though i was told by Magico directly that it poses no problem for them.
        In brief, what is your take? Thanks.
        Lots of variables but think two biggest are the room size and type of music listen to. In my smaller room, the 60 watt Kondo Kaguras easily drove my S5 Mk. 1s to satisfying levels. The newer Mk.2s though not really rated more efficient sound older for the same input. Heard that at Magicos. Currently I am running the S5 Mk. 2 with the 100/140 wpc Ensemble Fuoco integrated with no problems either. Perhaps you will,get a different result if you live on a steady diet of death metal at 120 dB. But the thing is the Magicos resolution is such you don’t need to play the system loudly to get all the information. Something quite a few visitors commented upon and were very surprised by.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Thanks Myles, I'm no head banger, thats for sure! Mostly classical and jazz at moderate levels. Never to the point of being unrealistic or harsh relative to my room size (25x15x8)
          I think you've put this to bed for me for good. Now..back to looking forward to a beautiful pair of bronze m-cast..or red m-coat. S7's being driven with ease by my A-75.
          - David -
          Accuphase A-75, C-3850, DP-750, T-1200, C-37, P-530, A-6, / Magico S7, Mcoat Red w/Mpod / Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 IC,SP, Platimun Electra PC's /Clearaudio Innovation Wood 9" Universal w/My Sonic Lab Ultra Emminent GX, Clearaudio Da Vinci,MCRU Linear PSU / Technics SL-1210GR w/My Sonic Lab Emminent GL / Stillpoints Ultra SS / Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth / Nakamichi Dragon/ Synergistic Research Powercell UEF 12SE PLC, Active Ground Block SE, Black Box / Furutech GTX-D NCF outlets, Flux-50 NCF ,20a dedicated line / SteinMusic H2 Harmonizers / Akiko Audio Corelli PLC. Phono booster, Tuning sticks / Symposium Acoustics Svelt Shelves,Precision Couplers,Segue ISO,Rollerblock Series 2+ / KLAudio RCM / Clearaudio Smart Matrix RCM

Comment

Welcome aboard
            -Steve
            webmaster at The Analog Dept.
            system list:Classe' CAP 151 integrated, Carver TX-11b Tuner, NHT 2.9 Speakers, Thorens TD124 ( plus other Thorens models), Otari MX-5050 BII-2 R2R, Jolida JD100 cd player, ML-9600 digital recorder

Comment

Welcome. Kentucky is a beautiful state; I really enjoy western Ky.

Question for you. I imagine a switch from the gorgeous sounding Stradivari to the S7 as a rather radical one, though I have not heard them back to back. What are your interests that might lead to that? Thanx.

Comment

Welcome Dave, from Chris. Enjoy the site.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
                  Welcome. Kentucky is a beautiful state; I really enjoy western Ky.

Question for you. I imagine a switch from the gorgeous sounding Stradivari to the S7 as a rather radical one, though I have not heard them back to back. What are your interests that might lead to that? Thanx.
                  Thanks for the kind welcome Dave,Steve,Chris and Tima.
                  I've had the pleasure of using the Strads for almost seven years now and have enjoyed them immensely,providing me with thousands of hours of satisfaction.
                  So, why change now? I guess there are several reasons. While the Strads are certainly enjoyable to listen too, I think they've become a bit too polite for my tastes now. Change is inevitable for many things and my hearing and how I perceive whether or not i'm still enjoying music like i once did is no different.
                  The Strads,being a ported design don't have the tightest bass, being a bit undefined. Certainly not as tight as the Magico, i assume.
                  If anything the bass can be a bit light at times for my tastes. I'd like to get a bit more slam and definition.
                  If I had to really nit-pic the Strads I'd say that,while they certainly sound beautiful even euphoric, they can sound homogenized and too polite at times. Add to that a Accuphase class A amp and maybe the smoothness gets a bit too much for certain types of music. There was a time when that may have worked for me, but I'm not so sure that it really satisfies me anymore.
                  I want more detail and transparency with just enough warmth to keep me happy.
                  - David -

Comment

Myles ,I called Magico yesterday and spoke to Peter McKay. What a terrific guy! We spent nearly an hour talking mainly about amplifier compatibility,room acoustics,musical tastes and listening levels and the relationship to appropriate power needs. I learned a lot and am so appreciative that he would take the time to speak to me.
                    Last edited by Deyoung; 03-06-2019, 09:32 AM.
                    - David -

Comment

i am also from Louisville, well near Louisville anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X