Hi everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone

Hi all. Dave here. Built my first Dynaco system from a kit when I was 15. Used that system for many years unti upgrading to Hafler (again kit) when that brand first rolled out. Speakers were first the ubiquitous Dyna A-25, later Allison Four and CD-8.

These days, don’t really have a good dedicated room; I guess a nearfield Setup would work but you still get more ‘fi’ for the dollar with headphones so that’s where I’m at.

Current setup consists of a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC coming out of my Mac Mini and from there to my AGDR Audio (highly) modified O2 feeding either Etymotic ER3XR IEMs (for when I need the isolation) or Beyer Amiron Home full-size cans (for when I don’t). Cables? Yes, I use them.

My setps have never been really super ‘high end’ but on the theory that ‘more expensive isn’t necessarily better‘, picked to get as much ‘bang for the buck’ as possible. These days I am more focused on just enjoying my music than in mounting an assault on the State of the Art. Since my definition of an audiophile is ‘Someone who is interested in the science and art of recording and reproducing sound’, this approach works pretty well... for me. Looking forward to exploring the forums.

Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Comment

Welcome Dave!
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
        DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply.
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Welcome here good sir.
          Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
          Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
          Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
          Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
          Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
          Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
          Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
          Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
          CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
          Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
          Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
          Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
          Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
          Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

One of the refreshing things about this forum is that it not only covers a wide range of gear, but so many of us have 'been through it' that it isn't just gear worship of the latest bauble- lots of real experiential knowledge of set up, source material, small things that make big differences (not always costing arms and legs) and no small amount of interest in music, including the history of the labels and recordings.
            We also seem to be able to talk to one another-- you know how internet fora tend to be one person after another talking past each other with the occasional squabble for popcorn material? Not here. Everybody is pretty courteous and respectful to each other-- not because of heavy moderation but because I think, as a group, we're all interested and want to learn.
            Not a bad thing, eh?
            Dynaco was a great company. I have fond memories of some of their stuff from back in the day and actually managed to build a kit that worked!
            Welcome. Have fun. I enjoy posting and reading here.

Comment

I built exactly one kit back in the day, a Haflet dh-220 power amp. It actually worked when it was assembled.
              (pcbs were prebuilt and tested at the factory). Seemed like a lot of work so I never did another kit again.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Glad to have you aboard Dave! We’re just a big audiophile melting pot!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
                -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
                -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
                -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Hi Dave and welcome! I like the way you think. What are some of your musical interests?
                  Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                      Hi Dave and welcome! I like the way you think. What are some of your musical interests?
                      Primarily jazz but am developing an appreciation for classical/orchestral/chamber music (acoustic music in general, actually) late in life. I listen to some of the music of my misspent youth too, in small doses- some of that stuff I've heard quite a few times...Finding Tidal lossless to be a great way to hear new music. Idagio is a similar concept (also lossless) but is designed to be more classical-friendly than other streaming services.

JCOConnell, I built a Hafler 200 (predecessor to your 220) also. Not as easy a build as Hafler's Dynaco-era designs due to a pretty tight layout.

I'm too lazy to deal with a TT anymore so it's all digital for me. I was going to do a Raspberry Pi but my new Mini has 6 cores so I think I can spare one of them for audio.

Comment

Working...
                      X