Hello from central California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from central California

Hello everyone. I am a 3rd generation agriculture industry Californian. I'm also a published photographer who first picked up a camera in the late 80's and never looked back. I have been a multirotor builder and operator since 2003 and have my own line of drones flying in many countries all around the world. I have always been interested in audio and have been collecting media and gear for years in the constant pursuit of amazing music and the components to reproduce it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snapseed-46-resize.jpg Views:	1 Size:	305.3 KB ID:	119679
    Current room where I can try different components or just listen to what I like best:
    Hardware: Plinius 8200 with Galbo Designs "Ultimate Mod" and 2019 Auricap XO revision (currently serving as preamp), PeachTree Audio 65SE (serving as DAC), Modified AT1240 TT with AT33EV cartridge and Cardas wiring straight to the Plinius phono stage, Various other turntables including Denon, Thorens, VPI, Marantz, JVC, with several different cartridges, Otari MTR10-2 Reel to Reel, a PC music server with over 30 terabytes of Hi-Rez files, and a pair of Zu Dirty Weekends upgraded to the Omen MKII loudspeakers. Room is 24x20x8. All current tube amp and tube preamp upgrades are finished and switching amps in and out are a breeze. Currently I can choose from a 25wpc 6550 triode, 4wpc EL84 pentode, and a 15wpc EL34 triode for tube amplifiers as well as the Plinius SS amplification.

I have a few audio rooms with many changes over the last 25 years and some photos can be seen here.
    http://charleshidalgo.com/audio
    http://charleshidalgo.com/audio-2000-2018
    Last edited by charles hidalgo; 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM.
    Lots of stuff!

welcome, nice systems.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Charles, I followed the link to your previous systems, very cool. I see you kept your lead balloon all those years. welcome aboard.
      Linn Kilmax LP12 | Channel D Lino C | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Welcome, very interesting perspectives

Comment

Are those Zus in Cedar? Haven't seen a set with that finish before. They look really nice.
          Steve Lefkowicz
          Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
          --------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
            Are those Zus in Cedar? Haven't seen a set with that finish before. They look really nice.
            That is their "Hickory" finish.
            Lots of stuff!

Comment

Very nice!!! I just ordered some 97dB efficient Zu Omen Dirty Weekends to try with a new second system I am working on. They'll be the same Hickory finish as yours. Power will come from an Elekit TU-8600 SET amp with all the bells and whistles. They'll be in shoot out with my DeVore 3XLs which are 90 dB efficient.
              Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Vinyl Nirvana TD160 Super, Ortofon 2M Mono, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Blusound Vault 2i, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones, PS Audio PP12.

Comment

Originally posted by adeep42 View Post
                Very nice!!! I just ordered some 97dB efficient Zu Omen Dirty Weekends to try with a new second system I am working on. They'll be the same Hickory finish as yours. Power will come from an Elekit TU-8600 SET amp with all the bells and whistles. They'll be in shoot out with my DeVore 3XLs which are 90 dB efficient.
                You must have got in on the DW sale a few weeks ago? Congratulations! I run the Zu's (also 97db efficient) with several different amps and even with the very low 1.2wpc my custom 45 amp puts out they do great and fill the room which is a large 24x20 room.
                Lots of stuff!

Comment

• adeep42
                  adeep42 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did. Really looking forward to getting them. They probably won't ship til August because I ordered the one option, Clarity caps.

if you are a photographer, cant ya do a little photoshopping and color correct your images? first one is over magenta.
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

As for media I have over I have some vinyl and over 12,000 albums in HiRez digital formats like DSD, DXD, AIFF, FLAC, DTS, WAV, DVD-A, and others all ripped from original recordings.The collection contains many rare releases and all are from the major labels. No junk mp3's. Here are a few lists (broken into Rock/Blues/Jazz/Classical genres) of some of my collection.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by charles hidalgo; 07-18-2019, 02:43 AM.
                  Lots of stuff!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                      if you are a photographer, cant ya do a little photoshopping and color correct your images? first one is over magenta.
                      It is and iphone image with a vintage filter. If it was for anyone else other than myself I would post or they would receive color correct images. In fact if it was for any of the magazines or newspapers I shoot or have shot for they would receive a RAW uncorrected image as dictated by most agencies. The photos I personally post are what I liked at the moment depending on the mood. Sitting at my PC with 24 bit X-Rite i1 Display Pro calibrated monitors the image looks exactly as I intended when uploading.
                      Lots of stuff!

Comment

• JCOConnell
                        JCOConnell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        ok, then ignore my post below.

heres youre photo with a little tlc :

Click image for larger version

Name:	system with cc.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	119716

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                        Steve Lefkowicz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So we trade the vintage poorly stabilized negative filter for the green "my prints were insufficiently washed" filter?

Hickory not wood you see offered by most makers Nice a different look nice set up

Comment

Welcome
                        Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Rogue Audio Sphinx Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Working...
                        X