Greetings From North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From North Carolina

Hello, my name is Rufus Smith and I am happy to be here.

Of all the things instilled in me by my Father as I grew up in LA (Lower Alabama) was a love of music. In our home, it was rare not to have some form of music playing. While I was exposed to all types of music, I always seemed to spend most of my time listening to classical, opera and jazz.
    While my Father created the spark that grew into my love of classical music, a family friend was the one who fanned the flames into a roaring fire. Father Kelly was the Assistant Pastor at the Catholic Church that my family attended. Father Kelly was an audiophile whose passion for audio was insignificant compared to his love of music. His record collection was and still is the most impressive I have ever seen. The collection was started in the 1950's and had grown to exceed 12,000 albums by the time I met him in the early 1970's. The collection contained all of the audiophile greats such as Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Lyrita to name a few. You name it Father Kelly had it. I spent many hours at the church rectory listening for hours on end to all these great albums.

My knowledge of high-end audio started under Father Kelly but was expanded when I was in college at the University of Alabama. It all started when I dropped by the local audio store to buy some speakers to go with a receiver and turntable given to me by Father Kelly. During the course of my visits, the owner, John Curry and I developed a friendship. Mr. Curry had another passion besides audio and that was deer hunting. During deer season, the store would be closed on Saturday's, as Mr. Curry would be hunting. I worked out a deal where I would come in and run the store on Saturday's so he could hunt. Being located in a college town, Saturdays were usually quiet at the store, so I tended to spend the time studying (yeah right). Actually, what I spent most of my time doing was reading his collection of back issues of the The Absolute Sound and Stereophile.
    After graduating from Alabama in 1982, I worked for a couple of years in Louisiana before returning to Dothan in 1986 to begin my banking career at SouthTrust Bank. Soon after returning to Dothan, I began building my first "high-end" system, which ended up consisting of a Seta Star Turntable, Premier FT-3 tonearm, Grado Signature 8 cartridge, conrad johnson PV-2a preamplifier, conrad johnson MV-45 amplifier and Thiel CS-1.2 loudspeakers. I have been in an upgrade mode ever since.

I have been reviewing audio equipment since 1994. I began my "career" under Tom Miiller at The Audio Adventure. After TAA folded, I joined the staff at Ultimate Audio and from there I went to enjoythemusic.com where I remain today.

I currently live in Harrisburg, North Carolina with my wife Julie, our two very goofy Golden Retrievers, Mandi and Lizzy. In 2013, I retired from Wells Fargo, where I had worked for 27 years as a commercial banker.

Glad to meet you!
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
    Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
      Glad to meet you!
      Nice to meet you too!
      Last edited by Abbinormal; 02-15-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Welcome!
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, Soundsmith Paua mkII
        DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Abbinormal View Post
          Hello, my name is Rufus Smith and I am happy to be here.

Of all the things instilled in me by my Father as I grew up in LA (Lower Alabama) was a love of music. In our home, it was rare not to have some form of music playing. While I was exposed to all types of music, I always seemed to spend most of my time listening to classical, opera and jazz.
          While my Father created the spark that grew into my love of classical music, a family friend was the one who fanned the flames into a roaring fire. Father Kelly was the Assistant Pastor at the Catholic Church that my family attended. Father Kelly was an audiophile whose passion for audio was insignificant compared to his love of music. His record collection was and still is the most impressive I have ever seen. The collection was started in the 1950's and had grown to exceed 12,000 albums by the time I met him in the early 1970's. The collection contained all of the audiophile greats such as Mercury Living Presence, RCA Living Stereo and Lyrita to name a few. You name it Father Kelly had it. I spent many hours at the church rectory listening for hours on end to all these great albums.

My knowledge of high-end audio started under Father Kelly but was expanded when I was in college at the University of Alabama. It all started when I dropped by the local audio store to buy some speakers to go with a receiver and turntable given to me by Father Kelly. During the course of my visits, the owner, John Curry and I developed a friendship. Mr. Curry had another passion besides audio and that was deer hunting. During deer season, the store would be closed on Saturday's, as Mr. Curry would be hunting. I worked out a deal where I would come in and run the store on Saturday's so he could hunt. Being located in a college town, Saturdays were usually quiet at the store, so I tended to spend the time studying (yeah right). Actually, what I spent most of my time doing was reading his collection of back issues of the The Absolute Sound and Stereophile.
          After graduating from Alabama in 1982, I worked for a couple of years in Louisiana before returning to Dothan in 1986 to begin my banking career at SouthTrust Bank. Soon after returning to Dothan, I began building my first "high-end" system, which ended up consisting of a Seta Star Turntable, Premier FT-3 tonearm, Grado Signature 8 cartridge, conrad johnson PV-2a preamplifier, conrad johnson MV-45 amplifier and Thiel CS-1.2 loudspeakers. I have been in an upgrade mode ever since.

I have been reviewing audio equipment since 1994. I began my "career" under Tom Miiller at The Audio Adventure. After TAA folded, I joined the staff at Ultimate Audio and from there I went to enjoythemusic.com where I remain today.

I currently live in Harrisburg, North Carolina with my wife Julie, our two very goofy Golden Retrievers, Mandi and Lizzy. In 2013, I retired from Wells Fargo, where I had worked for 27 years as a commercial banker.
          Greetings I love in Youngsville, Nc your about 3 hours from me I think.
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mep
            mep commented
            Editing a comment
            How far is that from Asheville?

Looks like 3 hours. My zip is 27596
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Welcome and enjoy the forum...
            Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-300 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Welcome from Alabama, and War Eagle 😎
              Lyra Kleos SL, Dynavector XX-2MKII, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh MR80, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Goheelz View Post
                Welcome from Alabama, and War Eagle 😎
                Where in Alabama and ROLL TIDE!

Comment

• Goheelz
                  Goheelz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Auburn, naturally. It's a fun rivalry, most of the time . . .

Originally posted by Abbinormal View Post

Where in Alabama and ROLL TIDE!
                I grew up in Dothan.

Comment

Working...
                X