Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike In Texas

Hi guys,
    I live just North of San Antonio in Spring Branch, Texas. Our subdivision was a large ranch and is still surrounded by ranches. It is not uncommon to have 30 deer in the yard. I am a hospice nurse but I'm not a front line Covid hero. I've had cardiac issues that make me high risk and have me isolating at home. Audio is my primary interest and passion. My wife would say obsession. Typical of an affordable Audiophile level system I listen to what sounds good on my system. The Gillian Welch Dave Rawlins albums are amazingly well done, production and artistry. I listen to lot of small scale classical. The Chasing The Dragon release Vivaldi in Venice is superlative. As is the DTD Bach solo violin album by Ruth Palmer which they think may be the longest DTD takes every released. Taking me back to my youth I bought the MoFi One Step of Yes Fragile. It's a whole new experience on many levels.
    My hifi journey has been many places but has landed on the just right combination that I probably won't be able to afford to upgrade in any way that would make an appreciable difference. I just ordered a cartridge that I expect to be my last cartridge and last expensive HiFi purchase. I told my wife it's done. I don't need more than this. I have the Cube Nenuphar 10" widebanders that were demoed at AXPONA last year. These are powered by a First Watt SIT 3. The pre is The Truth no gain photo diode attenuated homemade looking black box from the back woods of South Carolina. Phono stage is a Sutherland 2020. TT is a VPI Classic 2. Peter Lederman once told me the VPI Classic is all the turntable a guy should ever need. Not that I wouldn't take a Kronos but it's not neccesary. The VPI is excellent. My current cartridge is a Grado Refence 2. It is a great cartridge. However I am soon to receive a Soundsmith Paua. I am very curious and more than a little excited to hear what the Paua is going to show me.
    Have a good night.
    Cube Nenuphar speakers, First Watt SIT 3 amplifier, The Truth passive line stage, Sutherland 20-20 phono stage, VPI Classic 2 TT w/ Classic 3 tonearm and ceramic coated platter. Soundsmith Paua cartridge coming, Ortofon 2M SE mono cartridge. Triode Wire Labs full loom. Maple Shade rack.

Comment

Welcome Mike! Were you able to get one of the new ES model Paua's?
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
      DIGITAL - Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
      PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
      PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
      AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Hi Mike,
        Welcome to the forum, I have a Soundsmith cartridge (Sotto Voce) and I love it and everything it does. I think you are going like your new cartridge also...

Comment

Good morning Tom and thank you.
          Yes, the ES. I believe it is currently in Peter Lederman's cue. It will be two or three weeks.
          Cube Nenuphar speakers, First Watt SIT 3 amplifier, The Truth passive line stage, Sutherland 20-20 phono stage, VPI Classic 2 TT w/ Classic 3 tonearm and ceramic coated platter. Soundsmith Paua cartridge coming, Ortofon 2M SE mono cartridge. Triode Wire Labs full loom. Maple Shade rack.

Comment

• tom_hankins
            tom_hankins commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a great deal with that sale. I've had my Paua MKII for around 18 months now. I've also had the Sussurro MKII and Carmen MKII. The Paua is my favorite of them.

Thank you jcmusic. I'm certain I'm going to be utterly mind blown by the Paua. I often wonder how anything could sound better than the Grado.
          These days a midline high output cartridge seems very pedestrian but once upon a time Mikey wrote that the original version Grado Reference was the best HO cart he had ever heard. I was actually intending to save my nickels toward the Grado Statement 3. But a few factors intervened. Soundsmith is currently 25% off. The rebuild price of a Soundsmith makes it a great investment. And, I'm huge fan of Peter Lederman. I point anyone to the video of his seminar entitled Analog is digital and how to fix it. The guy is brilliant. And a great human being.

Comment

Thank you Audioraven.

Comment

Welcome
              Magnepan 1.7i, VMPS Large Sub, Belden 5000 Speaker Cable, Synthesis 510 AC Integrated Amplifier, Adcom GFA 555 II Power Amplifier, QED passive pre-amp, Celtic Dragon & Grover EX+ Interconnects, Crown SX 722 R/R, Nakamichi RX 202 Cassette Deck, Fosgate Signature Phono Preamplifier, Clearaudio Solution Turntable, Clearaudio Satisfy Tone Arm, Clearaudio Concerto V2 Cartridge, Clearaudio Smart Syncro, Belkin AP41300 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, Transparent Power Cables

Comment

Thanks Sgood

Comment

Welcome Mike! It’s always nice to see another Texan in here!
                  Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
                  Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
                  Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
                  Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
                  Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
                  Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
                  Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
                  Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
                  Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener -
                  Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
                  CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
                  Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
                  Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
                  Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
                  Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
                  Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Thank you Tim,
                    I guess there's not too much traveling occurring these days.
                    Be safe everybody.

Comment

Working...
                    X