Nice to be here! Thanks Myles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice to be here! Thanks Myles..

for the invite. This is great timing as I just moved my system into it's new sound room downstairs,which is really nice to have. Maybe this will motivate me to get back into having conversations about a hobby that I have loved since my teen years.

You have done a real nice job with your web site Myles...I like it...

Here's a quick photo of my setup...which the equipment hasn't changed in about 20 years or so. I have had this basic system iin four different rooms and it always has been a joy to listen to. A very short synopsis about the system is 5000 watts,50 inches of sub woofer, one pair of satellite main speakers and 2 pair of psycho acoustic speakers. The "psycho" speakers correct the time delay. One pair is mounted outboard of the satellites up on the back wall and the other pair is positioned center on the window sills.

Agtron Platinum Dual Mono Amplifiers 1600W
    Accuphase P300 amp Black Gate Mundorf modded psycho acoustic circuit
    Parasound Amp Agtron dual 16 inch sub woofer
    Velodyne 18 sub
    ParaCas crossover for dual sub
    Accuphase C200 preamp Black Gate Mundorf modded
    Monarchy tubed Dac Mundorf modded
    Sony CD transport
    McIntosh MR78 tuner
    Technics turntable
    ParaCas Satellites DynAudio drivers
    ParaCas Psycho acoustic circuit
    Various NBS IC's,PC's,and speaker cables

Various real 2 real including CX844's,CX824 Ampex 350,AG440's,MR70's

Here's a photo I took last night...

Myles your photo uploader is great...glad to be here and hope all is well...thanks again...Roger
    Last edited by RogerD; 11-05-2016, 03:29 PM.
    Preamp Accuphase C200 modded, Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks,ParAcas Satellites,dual subwoofer,Velodyne FSR18,Monarchy NM24 modded tube DAC,NBS Statement ,Master,Pro cables,Crown 844's & 824 R2R,Technics table,Linn LP12,Ampex R2R MR70's,AG440B-C,350,Studer C37

Welcome Roger! Great to see you here. Your new room looks very nice.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

That was going to be my comment as well; it looks much better. I'm going to have to make a better effort to come visit, Roger
      Tascam BR-20
      Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head and custom repro amp
      Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
      Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
      MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
      Pass Labs INT60
      Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
      REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
      Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio cables
      Core Power Equi=Power 1800 Mk3
      Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post
        Welcome Roger! Great to see you here. Your new room looks very nice.
        Hi Mark, With you, rbbert and Myles here it's like home already. Mark it looks like your system is set and I bet it sounds great too. Your SP-10 is to die for...

robert...yes we should hook up......

I'm really excited about the new room. The system can finally breathe....
        Preamp Accuphase C200 modded, Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks,ParAcas Satellites,dual subwoofer,Velodyne FSR18,Monarchy NM24 modded tube DAC,NBS Statement ,Master,Pro cables,Crown 844's & 824 R2R,Technics table,Linn LP12,Ampex R2R MR70's,AG440B-C,350,Studer C37

Comment

There are some very nice tape machines on this forum: A820s,A80s ATR 102s,even the odd Stella TD9. State of the art aftermarket audio electronics too. Then the MR70 arrives.Bit like showing at Cars in the Park and then the Ferrari 250 GTO quietly enters through the back gate.

Sure there are better handling machines,certainly more reliable ones and maybe,just maybe, one that can sound better on a good day but none can ever be as iconic as Ampex's flat-out assault on the late 60s state of the art.

Comment

Welcome!
            SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
            DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
            PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
            PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
            AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
            SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
            CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Originally posted by JDZA View Post
              There are some very nice tape machines on this forum: A820s,A80s ATR 102s,even the odd Stella TD9. State of the art aftermarket audio electronics too. Then the MR70 arrives.Bit like showing at Cars in the Park and then the Ferrari 250 GTO quietly enters through the back gate.

Sure there are better handling machines,certainly more reliable ones and maybe,just maybe, one that can sound better on a good day but none can ever be as iconic as Ampex's flat-out assault on the late 60s state of the art.
              JDZA as I have said many times,what makes the MR70 unique is it's nuvistor electronics and if you upgrade the electronics like I have then it becomes truly spectacular.

Imagine a device that has all the great qualities of solid state and tubes with a noise floor that is uncanny. The result is a musicality that begs to be heard.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Roger, you don't have any issues with nuvistors going noisy prematurely?

I must say the system keeps getting better. Typically the NBS cables require about 100 hours to come up,about now. The system is the best I have ever heard it,Amazing clarity,imaging,musicality and a knock your socks off midrange,and with tight bass that has that slam too. The kind of power and weight I dream about and that scary blackness that literally makes you jump. I know it sounds to good to be true.

This time I wired the electrical using 10-3 wire....I think it really helped.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
                Welcome!
                Thanks Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerD View Post
                  for the invite. This is great timing as I just moved my system into it's new sound room downstairs,which is really nice to have. Maybe this will motivate me to get back into having conversations about a hobby that I have loved since my teen years.

You have done a real nice job with your web site Myles...I like it...

Here's a quick photo of my setup...which the equipment hasn't changed in about 20 years or so. I have had this basic system iin four different rooms and it always has been a joy to listen to. A very short synopsis about the system is 5000 watts,50 inches of sub woofer, one pair of satellite main speakers and 2 pair of psycho acoustic speakers. The "psycho" speakers correct the time delay. One pair is mounted outboard of the satellites up on the back wall and the other pair is positioned center on the window sills.

Agtron Platinum Dual Mono Amplifiers 1600W
                  Accuphase P300 amp Black Gate Mundorf modded psycho acoustic circuit
                  Parasound Amp Agtron dual 16 inch sub woofer
                  Velodyne 18 sub
                  ParaCas crossover for dual sub
                  Accuphase C200 preamp Black Gate Mundorf modded
                  Monarchy tubed Dac Mundorf modded
                  Sony CD transport
                  McIntosh MR78 tuner
                  Technics turntable
                  ParaCas Satellites DynAudio drivers
                  ParaCas Psycho acoustic circuit
                  Various NBS IC's,PC's,and speaker cables

Various real 2 real including CX844's,CX824 Ampex 350,AG440's,MR70's

Here's a photo I took last night...

Myles your photo uploader is great...glad to be here and hope all is well...thanks again...Roger
                  Hi Roger, so great to have you and your knowledge about audio and reel-to-reel decks. One day will get to hear an MR70!

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                  -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Hi Myles, One day I hope so.....glad to be a part of this group

Comment

Welcome, cool looking system !

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Porter View Post
                        Welcome, cool looking system !
                        Thanks Al,

Yes,I think the system is unique with the psycho acoustics circuit.

Comment

Here is some close ups of the system.

Comment

• jgm
                            jgm commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If I would have had the capitol, I would have one of the other pairs of those Platinum amps and their preamp. I have a Paracas Sierra Preamp (great sounding preamp) which I used in my system for many years. I also have a couple of Paracas power "conditioners" which still work. Selfishly, I wish Carl hadn't found happiness in coffee roasting - truly a very talented audio designer.

When your tired of the incremental high end you go to extreme grounding
                          Last edited by RogerD; 02-04-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X