Hello from Greater Toronto Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Greater Toronto Area

Writing in to say hello from the Greater Toronto Area. I have been a long time audiophile since I was perhaps 12 years old. Always fascinated with the hardware and music. I have been through many iterations of planars including Acoustat X's, Quads and now Beveridge Electrostatics.

Running 99% analog with front end consisting of Aesthetix Io with 2 supplies & volume controls, Kuzma 4-point, Brinkmann 12.1, and Brinkmann La Grange with Lyra Atlas and Koetsu RSP. I have a soft spot for classic vintage tube electronics especially for that from Marantz ( the man), Futterman and ARC.

If I knew how to edit my base bar in the profile I would add my equipment! Currently, I have gone to direct driving the Beveridges right off the plates of the tubes with a custom amp supplying a couple of kilovolts to the panels. All good fun.

Hope to both contribute and learn here. Thanks.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

The Beveridge electrostatics are great loudspeakers. Can you post a picture, as I am interested on how they are set up.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	33431
      Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
      The Beveridge electrostatics are great loudspeakers. Can you post a picture, as I am interested on how they are set up.
      Here is my current Beveridge set up - classic face to face orientation as recommended by Beveridge. - best pic I have at the moment.

The room is 20' wide and about 42' long with 9' ceilings

I was fortunate to reclaim these speakers for myself. I had heard these at a fellow audionut's home over 30 years ago and the experience never left me. I found these very same speakers locally through the good word of a mutual friend whereby the 2nd owner was ready to give them up. I am the 3rd owner. I called the original owner to my home for a listen this past summer ---just as he did for me 30+ years ago...

Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

Welcome
        SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
        DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
        PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono
        PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
        AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
        SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
        CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

welcome to the forum
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome! Plenty of wonderful audiophiles in the Big Smoke! I moved away from the centre of the universe 2 years ago, but admit I miss it!
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Welcome. Always good to see another former Acoustat owner here. I used to have the folow up to the X, the Monitor (four panels, and the amp built into a platic base underneath). Loved those things dearly!
                And from Toronto, so have fun with Austin Matthews on your team. He's the real deal!
                Steve Lefkowicz
                Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                --------------------------------------------------------
                http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
                  Welcome. Always good to see another former Acoustat owner here. I used to have the folow up to the X, the Monitor (four panels, and the amp built into a platic base underneath). Loved those things dearly!
                  And from Toronto, so have fun with Austin Matthews on your team. He's the real deal!

What we have have to do to get a 1st round draft pick in Matthews.... sacrilege but, I am a Canadiens fan.... still watch the Leafs always! Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

Welcome, kcin!
                    Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Greetings. Every Io owner I've heard from is an adept tube hunter. Strong with the analog we are.

Comment

Welocome kcin!

Comment

Can never have too many analog lovers online!!! Love your table setup! Marvelous!

Never can get used to that Beveridge toe-in. Which version are you running?

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
                          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
                          -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
                          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
                          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
                          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
                          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• kcin
                            kcin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hello Myles, thanks for the welcome. Nice friendly folks here. I am running Model 3 Beveridges. The key difference is: I've eliminated the weakness of the design (stock is still very fine) in that I run a custom direct drive amp to the panels eliminating the step up transformer in the unit and the required output transformer in the main tube amp that I would choose to use. These amps provide the 2Kv polarizing voltage to the panels.

Within this amp is 6db/octave passive filter that rolls the panel frequency off at about 110hz the rest goes to the REL S/2 subs x 2 - so I have a frequency compensated direct drive amp and subs the Beveridge towers are just for the panels. The towers face each other in classic Beveridge style as the waveguide supports practically 180 degree dispersion. Its been a fun adventure.

Chris
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------
                          Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

Comment

Thanks everyone for the Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                            X