Greetings from a Detroit rocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a Detroit rocker

Hi, everyone. I just registered yesterday, so I guess a short intro is in order!

My name is Andy, and I’ve been an audiophile and unrepentant music fiend for more than 30 years. I’m originally from NYC and shopped at most of the big shops from the late ‘80s to the late ‘90s. I have a music collection that numbers, maybe, 8,000-9,000 CDs, perhaps more. (I lost count a while ago!) I love pop and rock music from most eras (especially the ‘70s, though) as well as classic country and R&B/funk, among other genres.

I’ve been through a lot of gear over the years—no different from most here, I suppose—but for the last 3-4 years, my rig has been largely stable, as I’ve found a “happy place” in the hobby. My relatively straightforward system (consisting of Coda, Marantz, JENA Labs, and Silent Running Audio) is far from perfect, but it’s achieved something no other system I’ve ever owned did: longevity.

Anyway, I look forward to sharing insights and experiences with you guys. Looks like a great forum!
    Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Welcome Quint. Enjoy the site!
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Welcome Andy!

I like all genres, but I'm primarily a rocker as well. And wow, that's a pretty nice CD collection you've got!
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Welcome, good to see there are more rockers out here.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
          Welcome Quint. Enjoy the site!
          Thanks, Tom. You have quite the system. I REALLY like Audionet gear!
          Source: Marantz SA-7S1 (modded); Amplifier: Coda S12.5 stereo amplifier (modded); Speakers: JENA Labs Studio Reference; Cabling and power conditioning: JENA Labs, Dussun; Subwoofer: Rythmik 15" with DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 EQ; Isolation: SRA Craz rack, SRA Ohio Class base under source, SRA VR bases under amplifier and Dussun regenerator

Comment

• tom_hankins
            tom_hankins commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I pick up both the Phonstage and Preamp in the morning. Btw, i was born in Michigan. Raised in Allen Park til 13 years old.

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
          Welcome Andy!

I like all genres, but I'm primarily a rocker as well. And wow, that's a pretty nice CD collection you've got!
          Thanks a lot, Johnny!

Yeah, most of my buddies are diehard jazz and classical fans, so I feel kinda like a musical savage in their company, but, hey, there's room for all kinds in this wacky and wonderful hobby!

I see, from your profile, that you have a Marantz Pearl integrated. Great piece! I have the SA-7S1 player and really like it.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, dirmae!

Comment

Welcome aboard Quint. I like a lot of the same...classic rock and pop from the 60-70's.
              Christian
              System Gear

Comment

Welcome Quint! Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome aboard! Classic and prog rock fan from SoCal here. I wonder how many other people here have Marantz in their system? I have an SA-8001 SACD player, though it is currently unplugged.
                  Looking forward to your comments.
                  Steve Lefkowicz
                  Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                  -
                  Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
                  Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
                  Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
                  Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
                  Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
                  Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
                  Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
                  Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                  Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Welcome Aboard!
                    [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Hey Andy,
                      Long time no chat! If you attend AXPONA which starts 4 weeks from today, please say hi -- I'll be working our big room, and we'll have some very nifty gear on display. I'm pleased to say our showrooms here are coming along nicely as well.
                      Brian Walsh
                      ttsetup.com

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
                          Welcome aboard! Classic and prog rock fan from SoCal here. I wonder how many other people here have Marantz in their system? I have an SA-8001 SACD player, though it is currently unplugged.
                          Looking forward to your comments.
                          Howdy, Steve:

I had an SA-8001 as well, and I have fond memories of it. it's been a long time, and I forget exactly what I replaced it with--lots of sources have come and gone!--but it definitely made a mark. They're on the 8005 now, aren't they?

I like Marantz Reference gear quite a bit. I'd like to hear the new SA-10 at some point, but I think they're only building them to order.

Comment

Originally posted by Quint View Post

Howdy, Steve:

I had an SA-8001 as well, and I have fond memories of it. it's been a long time, and I forget exactly what I replaced it with--lots of sources have come and gone!--but it definitely made a mark. They're on the 8005 now, aren't they?

I like Marantz Reference gear quite a bit. I'd like to hear the new SA-10 at some point, but I think they're only building them to order.
                            Marantz has been in our family for a long time one way or another. My brother has been using his 2230B receiver with large advents since they were new in the 1970s. I started SACD with a multi-channel SA8260 (used only for 2-channel) but it had issues so they swapped me out for the SA8001 when they first came out. Nice unit, but I just don't use it anymore. Have all my digital on a PC, including dsf files for the SACDs I had purchased..
                            Steve Lefkowicz
                            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                            -
                            Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
                            Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
                            Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
                            Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 15, Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
                            Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
                            Speaker cables: WyWyres Diamond, Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
                            Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
                            Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                            Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Working...
                            X