Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from the "Land Down Under"

Hi from Adelaide, Australia

i can across this this forum while looking for record reviews and ways to invigorate my classical collection. After spending a short time reading some of the threads, I have pleasantly found that this forum has a mature understand membership which is a far cry from some I've come across.

My audio journey over the years has taken different paths to get to that level of happiness and contentment.. After experimenting with a few speakers from ribbon to horn, I've settled on a type of speaker that is mostly room friendly, has a long heritage and aftermarket support. In fact, my journey has been like with virtually all of my equipment purchases. Having limited funds, I believe i have a well balanced system to my ears. Most of the important pieces have reliability and long term brand support which means much to a person in a far away land on the far side of the world..

As new formats came along, I tried them briefly but felt if I change my sources for these new technologies, I always worried I'd be catching up all the time. And as I reach retirement, I want to enjoy the music and not worry if I have the next best thing. So I stayed with the vinyl format but weekened to purchase a universal player and I have a few SACDs of music I can't get on vinyl.

if the pictures I've posted have come out, you will see my system, some purchased second hand.

Harbeth SHL5 Plus speaker, connect via Luxman 507u amp. Turntables include a SME 10 utilising a second arm board supplied by Timestep Audio from the UK. Arms are a SME IV with a Lyra Kleos for stereo and a Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    I also have a refurbished Garrard 401 with a 12" Ortofon arm with a Ortofon SPU. Phonostage is a local built valve MM then Lundahl SUT feeding the SME and a Vintage Technics SUT feeding the Garrard.. the rest of the music side a Nakamichi deck, a Oppo 105 and a Audiolab 8000t tuner.

My vinyl collection is manly popular but I'm hoping with the help of some members here I can reinvigorate my classical section.
    To me music is a emotional experience, depending on my mood.

I dont always have a lot of time to write on forums but I'm looking forward to reading some invigorating thoughts of others.

thanks Rod

SME 10, twin arms, SME IV with Lyra Kleos, SME 309 with Benz Micro Ace Mono.
    Garrard 401 with Ortofon 12" arm and Ortofon SPU Classic GM MkII
    Amp, Luxman 507u
    Speakers, Harbeth SHL5Plus

Welcome to AudioNirvana Rod!

I can't help you much with your aim of beefing up your Classical collection, but there are many others here who certainly can. AN has the best discussions about music of any other traditional "audio" forum. For most it's barely an afterthought. There is a wonderful balance between hardware and software, plus the conversations are always civil and insightful.

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Hi Rod, very nice setup you got there. I'm a Harbeth fan too, I had the 30th anniv SHL5s for a while and they were eminently enjoyable.
      TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Welcome! You have a nice system system. I've always wanted a Garrard 401. Thank you for sharing.
        [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Hi Rod! Glad you found us. You Aussie audiophiles are a dedicated bunch! Besides our members, there are a lot of lurkers from down under!

Love your refurbished Garrard too! So many people rebuilding them around the world. Maybe it would make for a nice thread.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about having a modest system, mine is modest and has a few used components too, and a few rather older components too. As long as things float your boat there isn't anything to criticize.

Comment

Welcome! Nice Garrard.

Comment

welcome to the forum, there is a section on classical music
                Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Welcome, great system!
                  SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
                  DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
                  PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
                  PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
                  AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
                  SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
                  CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Hi All,

thanks for for the warm welcomes.

I've had an interesting audio journey over the years. Living where I have for most of my life, I always thought I was the only only one interested in good audio repay. It wasn't until I started trolling the internet that I discovered an Australian Audio forum which started many friendships and with that visits to others systems. Not just in my own more isolated state but have traveled 1,000s of miles to other states to talk and hear some very special audio systems. It's been great to hear how people started off their own journey and what their current interests are..

i look forward to reading and sometimes commenting on some discussions on this site..

thanks.
                    Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Bloody Aussies. Can't get away from them

Myles and co know a lot about classical here, so come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
                        Bloody Aussies. Can't get away from them

Myles and co know a lot about classical here, so come to the right place.
                        well as long as we Aussies are doing good.

Amp, Luxman 507u

Comment

Working...
                        X