Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Melbourne, Australia

Hello all. I have been an audiophile for 30 years. My first system was a bedroom system comprising Infinity Reference 3's which were large 3 way bookshelf's which bent the wooden shelf they were on! and a Nad lifestyle system including one of the first cd players. The Nad system actually had quite a lot of power & drove my Infinity's with authority. I also remember buying my first cd - Genesis 'Invisible touch'. That got me started in this hobby & made me an Infinity lover. I sold my old system & bought my 2nd system in 1992 which included Infinity Reference 60 towers, a Nakamichi amplifier one integrated, JVC XL-Z1050 cdp & Standdesign rack. I later added a Technics RS-BX828 tape deck & Cambridge Audio T-500 tuner. That system brought me a lot of pleasure for 17 years.

But what got me hooked was a chance visit to Tivoli Hifi in 1991. I wandered in to have a look & was invited by one of the sales guys to have a listen to a pair of 7 feet Infinity IRS-V's hooked up to massive Electrocompaniet mono blocks. The IRS-V's of course were Infinity's statement speakers and had etherial "reach out and touch it" imaging & thunderous bass which mimicked the live event. That was an awesome experience & definitely got me hooked on audio.

Over the last 8 years i've sold off my old system & got into high end audio, during which time i've owned 4 pairs of high end speakers, including Ren 90's, Marten Coltrane Alto's, Magico S5's + my current S5 Mk2's, and an assortment of amps including: Classe, Boulder, Ayon & Vitus. Due to having limited space in my loft apartment, I don't have room for an analogue rig. Hence my system is all-digital. Anyway, my rig still has a lot of development to come, but i'm enjoying the journey.
    for having me here!.

Cheers,
    David.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9043.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	58970
    My old system with the S5 Mk1's
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2603.JPG Views:	1 Size:	196.4 KB ID:	58982

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2645_zpsfpnjaelv.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	58987

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2646_zpsmhy41deq.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	58988

S5 Mk2's
    Last edited by Bodhi; 07-17-2017, 01:11 PM. Reason: Corrected error

Welcome here, beautiful gear!
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Amplifier: Silver Circle Audio 300B Monoblocks with Takatsuki 300B tubes
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Audio Desk Pro Ultrasonic & VPI 16.5 RCM
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5 to Bricasti M1 DAC
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3
    Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's & IC's + Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
      Welcome here, beautiful gear!
      Thanks very much Tim. You have a very nice, very complete system yourself covering vinyl, sacd, rbcd & analogue tape . Every now and then I have pangs to add an Accuphase DP-720 for sacd, but i'm very happy with my current Vitus deck which is better in sound vs Accuphase in any case, except perhaps on the best sacd pressings. If Accuphase keep producing sacd players, maybe one day. I like Kronos and Tech Das, but will need to move to a bigger house to accommodate a vinyl rig & storage for vinyl! Again, one day .
      Last edited by Bodhi; 07-12-2017, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Welcome David. You found a good audiophile site here.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

I love that Magico finish (what I had for my Mk. 1s). I wish I hadn't cheaped out on the finish of my Mk. 2s and went with that. I was just trying to save $3000. Oh well.

Nice combo. Heard the Vitus/Magico combo many times at Bob's store in NY on the S5/7 and M3s. Never failed to please.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
          -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
          -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
          -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
          -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
            Welcome David. You found a good audiophile site here.
            Thanks very much Christian! You have an incredible system. So much top flight gear, it's like a audiophile version of Disneyland! . Even though that kind of setup is out of my reach, i'm content building a simple, digital-only system & focus on fully optimizing my setup. Later on after I buy a bigger house, I plan on adding a vinyl rig & possibly sacd player.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I love that Magico finish (what I had for my Mk. 1s). I wish I hadn't cheaped out on the finish of my Mk. 2s and went with that. I was just trying to save $3000. Oh well.

Nice combo. Heard the Vitus/Magico combo many times at Bob's store in NY on the S5/7 and M3s. Never failed to please.
              Thanks Myles. I agree, the M-coat titanium finish looks stunning. Actually, having come from the S5 Mk1 to Mk2 like you, I think Magico slightly improved the depth and luster of the paint finish on the Mk2. Nothing stands still at that place! Never mind about going for the M-cast pewter finish. I think that is the best M-cast finish & I could happily live with it. And the upshot is you'll lose less money vs examples in M-coat finish when you move them on one day. In my case that wasn't an an issue as the S5 Mk2's will be my long-term reference speakers.

For solid state, Vitus and Magico have great synergy. For tubes, Vac, CJ, Cat and Absolare are all great combo's. I really admire your CJ Art and Gat Series 2 amps. Lovely looking and sounding gear .
              Last edited by Bodhi; 07-12-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Originally posted by Audioraven View Post
                  Welcome aboard!
                  Thanks for the welcome Audioraven .

Comment

welcome to the forum.
                    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Nice to hear from you. Did I purchase a pair of High Fidelity ic's from you...a couple years back?

Steve from the States.
                      Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                        welcome to the forum.
                        Thanks for your warm welcome JC . It looks like you've got some good value, musical gear in your stable. I'm sure it must bring you a lot of pleasure! .

Comment

Originally posted by siddh View Post
                          Nice to hear from you. Did I purchase a pair of High Fidelity ic's from you...a couple years back?

Steve from the States.
                          Hi Siddh, thanks for the welcome . No, that wasn't me as i've never owned HF cables. Very nice system you have there btw. Especially your front end!

Btw, how have you found Franck Tchang's Acoustic Resonators? My listening room is also my living/dining room, so I have limited options for room treatments .

Comment

Btw, how have you found Franck Tchang's Acoustic Resonators? My listening room is also my living/dining room, so I have limited options for room treatments .

Hey Bodhi,
                            thanks for the compliments on the system. I too am enamored with the Walker/Air Tight phono front end.

I'm not sure how to address the ASI Resonators, other than to say they have, amongst many things tamed the Avalon Times bottom end and aided in making this prodigious speaker disappear in my relatively small listening room. I have been reluctant to share the appreciative success, due to the nay sayers and skeptics, but these little buggers have assisted in making this system one of the top 10 I have heard.
                            Many evenings ago, I noticed the system sounding "off"... bass heavy and bright. I chalked it up to a power issue or some other anamolous factor, but as I was shutting the components down I noticed the copper ASI cup, noted to control bass, had fallen off it's wooden block. So...without the benefit of an a/b comparison , I incidentally observed a decline in performance. I properly placed the cup upon it's holder and performance returned to normality. I do have a full compliment of the Acoustic Resonators, each adding to the exemplary presentation. I cannot overemphasize the impact they have made. Gratefully, I have obtained these used for percentages less than list price.
                            Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X