Just a dilatant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a dilatant

Well, i've been lurking here for a few weeks, so I thought it time to say something about me. Always hate doing that.

Seems Myles has spotted me and welcomed me. Thank Myles. I read your posts with a nod to a master.

I've been a pseudo audiophile for as long as I can remember. Cruising by the Lafayette store on my way home from high school and drooling over a Teac X-1000 in the window. My first 'stereo' was a Sherwood system bought in 1982 in Denver. Served me well. I bought a LOT of MFSL releases in the early to mid 80's. Still have them all. I finally got that reel-to-reel in 1986 when I purchased a Teac X-2000R I still have it today.

Currently, I'm sporting a Yaqin MC-100B integrated amp with a Yaqin SD-32A CD Player and ProJect Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp with a DIY upgraded power supply. Besides the 4-track Teac X-2000R, I have 2 Otari MX-5050 BIII's and a MX-5050 BII. The turntable is a VPI Prime Signature with a Soundsmith Voice and as an option a second arm with a Shure V15Mx with the VN5xMR stylus that I've had for a while mounted. I also have a Nobosound Headphone Amp driving a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s headphones with an upgraded cable. All tubes have been rolled and I'm using Golden Lion match quad KT-88s in the amp with Sylvania 6SN7's and ECC803 Gold Pins from JJ. Except in the Nobosound. I've got a Tesla 12AX7 between those 6SN7s.

Speakers are a DIY kit from Madisound based on the John Krutke designed ZRT 2.5 speakers sporting upgraded components in the crossover. I'm in the process of adding a DIY/self designed sub with a ScanSpeak Revelator driver and class A/B plate amp. Should fill in the bottom octave.

After seeing some of the components you guys are running, I think I should stay a lurker. Why I feel I'm 'just a dilatant'.

You'll find me active on the VPI forum and as I have something to contribute, here as well.
    Last edited by JimTimP; 08-24-2017, 06:48 PM.
    Digital (HDCD): Yaqin SD-32A
    Tape Decks: Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2 (X2) and BII-2H
    Turntable: Two Armed VPI Prime Signature, ADS, Periphery Clamp, Dual Pivot, HRX Pulley, Triple Belt
    Cartridges/Arms: Soundsmith Voice/JMW 10 3DR & Lyra Delos/JMW 10 3D
    Phono Preamp: Zestos Andros PS1
    Amp: Manley Stingray II
    Speakers: Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Dual Homemade 10", 250 (Ea) Watt Subs
    Power: PS Audio P5
    Accessories: VPI 16.5, Parasound ZPhono USB, JTP Cables, DIY Dual Cartridge Timers

Welcome from one of the great unwashed here. I think you'll find it less about the gear as such and more about what people do with it--including some of the most basic things having to do with set up, calibration and the like. Even the best components (whatever those are- I regard it, as I think most do, as a system) can't deliver their promise without some knowledge, and I think that's what we are here to share. My bent is more music than gear at this point, but there's room for that too. (And, as others have reminded me, I wouldn't be posting on an audiophile forum unless I liked gear). Contribute where you can, learn what you can. The dynamics of any forum evolve over time, and I'm glad to see all the different people-- some of whom I know from other fora- who have migrated here. Why? Largely substantive, very minimal snark, and it isn't because there's heavy handed moderation. I think it is because those who have joined up actually enjoy this stuff and are willing to share and help where they can. There is no shame in being a dilettante; they used to call such people "renaissance men" (B.G.S. -before gender sensitivity) or polymaths- someone with multiple talents or knowledge in disparate fields. Look at it this way-- some of us are getting smarter, and some of us are getting dumber. It all evens out in the end.

Comment

polymaths without competencies are dilettantes

people who point this out are still called smart aleks :-)

welcome JimTimP - talking about "upgraded components in the crossover" you sound like an audiophile to me

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
        . . . people who point this out are still called smart aleks :-)
        The true smart aleck posts to tell you that you've spelled smart aleck wrong . . .

Analog: Scheu + Immedia RPM tonearm + Koetsu Black + Pass Xono or Threshold FET 10pe
        Amps: First Watt F7, HK Citation II
        Pre-Amps: CJ Premier 14, Threshold FET 10e, DIY 417a with output transformer
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite, Reference 3A mm de capo
        Tuners: Sansui TU9900, McIntosh MR78
        Digital: i7 Server (Roon) + SSD, Sonore urendu + Mutec MC3+ USB + Berkeley Alpha Dac, Audiomeca Mephisto
        Power: Audience AR12, Torus Tot, DIY filters

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew someone would take the bait... :-)

• jonathanb
          jonathanb commented
          Editing a comment
          Bait? Suuuuuuuuure!
      Working...
      X