Chris System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris System

This is my first new topic post to this excellent forum . I just finished adding absorption test panels at all the first and secondary reflection points in my room. I have had some nice wow factors from the systems inception but this was the icing on the cake. I could not be more pleased with the results.
    My system is all tube based and I am still in the process of adding a Merrill Williams 101.2 TT REED 3P tonearm the stylus will be a VDH Crimson
    My Gear
    Speakers Vandersteen 5 A's in a Makore finish
    Loricraft PRC 4 Cherry base
    Preamp Aesthetix calypso
    Cd/ Dac Aesthetix Romulus
    Sacd / Modwright mod Sony XA 5400
    Phono preamp Aesthetix rhea signature
    Power management Richard Gray 220v to 110v sub station RGPC 1200
    Amps quicksilver V4 mono blocks using KT 150 tubes
    SRA Ohio class plus isolation bases
    Apple Mac mini for streaming hi Rez files
    Interconnects Audioquest Sky , Fire both XLR Diamond USB for computer audio
    Speaker wire Audioquest volcano double bi wire
    Tweaks: acoustic revive RR 888 home made cable risers and HPF supports

Future plans: upgrade my preamp to an Aesthetix Eclispe
    To all the fine audiophiles of this forum it has been most enjoyable and informative for me since joining
    Myles the Kt 150 tube upgrade to my amps literally was a sonic transformation for the original Kt 88's For all those with tube gear that can handle the KT 150 s your in for a rare kind of magical treat with what these tubes will do for your systems performance.
    To any members of the forum who are local to me ( Long Island ny ) and want to share a listen of each other's system I would welcome the opportunity
    Panel testing at  first reelection points
    Last edited by chris h; 10-01-2017, 08:30 PM.

Beautiful Chris, I have spoken to George Merrill on many occasions, I built a Merrill A/R ( with Georges help) using the technology of the Merrill/ Williams, at some point I plan on going to Tenn. and have a listen at his shop. I would love to hear your impression once you get it up and running. Does the Juke Box work?

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Don,
      First I see that you live in Key Largo. Hope all is going well for you your family and all those Floridians who dealt with Irma .
      I have spoken to George a few times myself before buying his table. I am looking forward to experiencing all his statement table has to offer. I primarily chose it since I am a firm believer in isolation which this tables engineering was based on. The jukebox is a 1946 restored Wurlitzer 1015 fully restored. Yes it does play I tried to send you a video if you are interested send me your EM
      Best Chris

System looks great! I'm envious of your cable management. Always wanted to hear the Vandersteen 5A's.
    Thank you for sharing.
    [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your kind comment.

I can see the consideration you put into your gear choices, congrats. Ive heard Model 5 carbons with a full suite of aesthetix gear at a dealer on two different occasions and it was quite impressive, I could live happily ever after with that system.
    Front End: Basis Audio Ovation / Rockport 6000 / VdH Colibri XCP Head Amp: Music Reference RM-4 Preamp: Audio Research SP-3 (Curcio) Power Amp: Marantz 8b Speakers: Quad ESL 57 (McCollum) Cable: DIY / Canare

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob,
      A little history behind my speaker choice. I have was an installer for 25 plus years and between shows and installs I have experienced so much great equipment and speakers. While I have heard or installed a lot gear mostly solid state one day I visited at a dealership in New Jersey who is a Vandersteen dealer I went there to experience a pair of model fives. From that point I was hell bent to demo a pair in my room. I located back than a dealer more local to me who was kind enough to loan me a pair of model 2 ce I believe. After a few days it was time to bring them back. I put my B/W matrix 3 's back in place. My first thought when I played some audio was where did the music go. Since than they will always be my speaker of choice. By The way my first pair was model 3 signatures that eventually became part of a complete vandersteen home theater. Now it is all about two channel setup with a TT soon to be apart of my setup.

Good to see another Vandy 5A owner. The system looks excellent, as does your elegant listening space. I'm especially interested in your Quicksilver V4's driving the Vandy's. Have you tried other amps previously with the 5A's? I'm using a solid state amp now, but I've heard that high powered tubes work well also. Audio Research tube mono's are a more expensive approach that I've seen. The Quicksilvers are not familiar to me. Any sense of how they might stack up against what I've got now or against the Audio Research stuff. Just curious, as it's hard to find many folks who've experimented with the 5A's and amplifiers.

Thanks for any insights you might have!
    Jim
    Dynavector XX-2MK2, VPI JMW 10.5i, VPI Aries, VPI SDS, ModWright PH-150 Reference Phono, Sony HAP-Z1ES server, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh MC352, Vandersteen 5A, PS Audio P10, Bright Star Audio Rack of Gibraltar. Cables: Shunyata Cobra Ztron IC, PS Audio Statement AC, Synergistic Research AC, Harmonic Tech Silver Phono, Cable Research Labs Silver IC, Audioquest Gibraltar bi-wire.

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jim,
      Nice to hear from another vandy fan. It looks like you have put together a fine system yourself.
      I have heard the AR's at audio connection many times and they pair well with the vandy's and you would not be disappointed. That said I also demoed the V4's and they did not lag very much in the overall performance when compared to the AR's IMO and fit my budget. Now that said when I changed the output tubes to KT 150's it was the amp went through a transformation that simply astounded me in every aspect of there performance.
      I will also note to you that Mike Saunders the owner of QS does not use balanced circuitry in his engineering. I know he has a relationship with Richard and Richards HPF are balanced so Mike designed this amp to be capatible. Imo that says a lot as well.
      Hope this helps. I would love to see a photo of your system when you have a chance.
      Best,
      Chris

Thanks for posting your system thread Chris! You have a very nice looking room which must be relaxing to come home to, sit back & play some of your favorite cd's or vinyl. You obviously aim for good value high end gear like me, as your Vandys, Aesthetix gear & Modwright Sony all offer high cost-performance. I owned a Romulus cdp which I picked up just as a temporary player before I bought my Vitus. But i've got to say it really surprised me. The circuit design and build quality of the internals is impressive & absolutely immaculate. The player just sounds natural and has a nice musical flow. The only slight negative was I found there were several discs it wouldn't read, but that's only a minor quibble.

I also have an Acoustic Revive RR-777 with an external psu. I'm sure that thing makes the music more involving and harmonious. I keep mine on 24/7, except when I go away on trips. Nice attention to detail as you've addressed ac power, isolation, cables & room treatments. Tick for the Reed 3P tonearm also. If I were buying a tt today, that would be one of the arms I would buy. Enjoy your system in good health!
    Last edited by Bodhi; 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM. Reason: typo
    Front End: Vitus SCD-025 Mk2, Oppo BPD-103 Amp: Vitus SIA-025 Speakers: Magico S5 Mk2 Isolation: Taoc ASR series racks, Taoc SCB-RS-HC50G, Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Bases/Mini's/LPI's AC Power: Furutech GTX-D(G), Gigawatt PC-3 SE Evo, Jorma Prime pc's (re-terminated with cryo'd Oyaide M1/F1’s), Jorma Unity pc (re-terminated with Oyaide P-004/C-004’s) Cables: Jorma Prime xlr's + Statement sc's, Siltech Classic Anniversary rca's + HDMI Tweaks: Acoustic Revive (various), Akiko E-tuning Gold MkII

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all the fine comments and feedback. Your right I do enjoy my listening time as often as possible. I have also experienced one of my discs not being read on my Romulus as well. I called Aesthetix and they were willing to test the problem disc but I never sent it to them. Maybe if I do an upgrade I will send the disc with it, What model power supply did upgrade your 777 with King Rex and did you feel it improved the musical presentation by upgrading the PS?
      Best
      Chris

• Bodhi
      Bodhi commented
      Editing a comment
      YW Chris. I respect Jim White who is a talented engineer, and one of the few manufacturers who will still answer your questions directly, though I think quietly they're well aware of the issue of the player not reading some discs. I had several it wouldn't read, but it was only in situ for a short period, so I didn't worry about it.

The KR Mk2 psu basically increases the effect of the resonator by increasing it's effective range and power (similar to adding a 2nd or 3rd RR-777). Or you could look at it as the effect going from subtle, to not subtle at all. In terms of how it improves/changes the sound. It operates on a human level of course and allows your ears to perceive the music as more flowing, and seems to improve staging a bit. You feel more connected to the music, or to put it another way, music sounds more live and intimate. In regard to which exact model (per voltage), i'll get back to you later today .

• Bodhi
      Bodhi commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Chris, as promised I checked back through my emails. I have the King Rex Mk2 psu rated at 12v/240v for Australian conditions. In the US I believe the equivalent unit is 13v/110v. There is a fairly rampant Acoustic Revive page on Facebook which Yoshi (from AR) posts in, so if you're on FB you could confirm with those guys as they're nutters with AR gear .

Hi Bodhi, All your input and feedback is greatly appreciated I will check FB page today. Best and Chris

Comment

Working...
    X