This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Audio Social Media Site

I guess I'm showing my age here. Long before the internet, long before Audiogon, long before Audioasylum--there was The Audiophile Network. Colloquially known as TAN, The Audiophile Network was the brainchild of Guy Hickey (who has sadly dropped off the face of the earth and no one knows where he is anymore), the designer of the Quatre Gain Cell solid-state amplifier, one of the darlings of day back then.

TAN was a revolutionary concept. Besides bringing together audiophiles from all over the US and building a nationwide audio community (today's boards and Facebook are world wide), TAN allowed for near instant dissemination of audio information, something we take for granted today but didn't exist in the early '80s. Even bigger, TAN was free of the trolls and flaming that invades and kills today's audio forums. Sure there were plenty of egos on TAN but they all managed to respect each other and put aside their dogmas in the interest of learning from each other. If there's one thing that dogmas teach us, they are built to be overturned. And like TAN, flaming and trolling will not be found on audionirvana.org.

Connecting to TAN wasn't so easy in the day of 600 baud modems (I remember jumping for joy when I bought a 1200 baud modem for my postage stamp sized, monochrome screen, MAC 30SE computer) and connecting via a long distance phone call to Guy's office. As David Robinson of PF recently shared with me, "Guy was and I were both sysops using the same software (Phil Becker's great TBSS system) in multi-line setup at the same time and so we would call each other and share notes." Yes it was a very exciting time in in audio!

And TAN was the place to be with the likes of manufacturers like John Curl and Mary Cardas, soon to be manufacturers like Chris Somnivigo, Gordon Rankin, Barry Kohan, Jeff Joseph, Les Edelberg, Ken Kantor, Steve Eddy and Jud Barber, writers/editors such John Atkinson, Jonathan Scull, Jack English, David Robinson, Doug Schneider, Lonnie Brownell, Rick Rosen, Corey Greenberg, Kal Rubinson, Robert Reina, Jeff Goggin, Steve Rochlin, Clark Johnson, Stu McCreary, Todd Warnke, Scott Dorsey, Doug Blackburn and yours truly--a regular industry Who's Who here--regularly contributing to the board. Plus audiophliles such as Dave Duvall, Wendell Narrod and Dave Carpe who I still see around the internet.

My fondest TAN memory though has nothing to do with audio. One afternoon while at work in the 1988 (?), I decided to log into TAN. (No I couldn't wait to call after 9 PM when the rates were cheaper.) As I was scanning through that day's logs, I was suddenly and unexplainedly disconnected from TAN. Multiple attempts to relog in again simply resulted in a busy signal (maybe not an unusual experience in the days of dial up connections!). It wasn't until later though that I learned that a major earthquake in S. California had cut off phone lines and prevented my connecting to TAN!

Guy, unfortunately, was unable to adapt to and transition TAN into the new internet era. Sadly, the site soon disappeared into the sunset though a couple of years ago, John Atkinson surprised me with a CD-ROM containing all the threads and conversations that too place on this forum. Talk about a time warp!

The famous TAN office! Yes, it took a long distance call to log into Guy's computer. I don't want to think of my long distance phone bills in those days. Click image for larger version

Name:	tanhickey1 image 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	158

The very first TAN West Coast meeting. There was also an East Coast get together at then member Yogi Saxena attended by people such as Kevin Olson, John Rutan (Audio Connection, Verona, NJ) and a host of other people. Click image for larger version

Name:	tanmeeting image 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	159
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Thanks, I'd forgotten all about TAN!
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson

Comment

So, how many others here were former TANners? I remember the best investment I made in those days was PC-Pursuit, which allowed me unlimited data calling to certain exchanges (including TAN's) for a minimal monthly charge. There was also software that allowed you to download all new posts, read and reply to them offline, and then upload your responses when you next signed on. It ran like a dream on my Commodore Amiga!

Comment

Originally posted by regnaD kciN View Post
        So, how many others here were former TANners? I remember the best investment I made in those days was PC-Pursuit, which allowed me unlimited data calling to certain exchanges (including TAN's) for a minimal monthly charge. There was also software that allowed you to download all new posts, read and reply to them offline, and then upload your responses when you next signed on. It ran like a dream on my Commodore Amiga!

Wow I wish I knew about PC Pursuit and that other software. Who knew back then. I was a computer newbie. We had just thrown those early DECs in the Hudson River.

John Atkinson kept a record of all the TAN posts and gave me a copy. Last time I tried though, couldn't find any software to open the files.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by regnaD kciN View Post

You and me and see that Jeff Joseph just joined. Three so far to my knowledge!

Comment

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing Myles.
            Hugh Nguyen
            ACA

Comment

I was on TAN in the early 1990s and recall the dial-up modem difficulties even today.

I also had the distinction of owning two Quatre Gain Cells which I purchased from the factory in the San Fernando Valley in about 1977 to biamp my Dahlquist DQ-10s and Dahlquist subwoofers. I saw an ad in the LA Times that they were on sale for $350 ea (IIRC). Those who lived in LA at the time will remember the lively LA Times classified ads under Audio where we learned of many of the happenings in the audio world of the day.
              Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by mkuller View Post
                I was on TAN in the early 1990s and recall the dial-up modem difficulties even today.

I also had the distinction of owning two Quatre Gain Cells which I purchased from the factory in the San Fernando Valley in about 1977 to biamp my Dahlquist DQ-10s and Dahlquist subwoofers. I saw an ad in the LA Times that they were on sale for $350 ea (IIRC). Those who lived in LA at the time will remember the lively LA Times classified ads under Audio where we learned of many of the happenings in the audio world of the day.
                Sorry for the oversight! I talked to a few old Tann-ners (John Atkinson, Jeff Josephs and a couple of others that am still in contact with) to try and get an accurate list. But our memories aren't what they used to be. John actually gave me a CD-ROM a while back with all the contents of TAN but I can no longer open it on my current computer. Leave it to John to archive the site.

Speaking of the LA Times, so did the NY Times. We used to try and get the paper early Sat. night to get the jump on other audiophiles and record hunters! Then Audiomart hit the scene.

Comment

Fascinating stories of audiophile pioneering! As I didn’t find the global audiophile family until the www. The early audio magazines like Stereo Review, Audio, and later The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and even later Listener and HiFi+ were voraciously consumed without dialogue but, nevertheless appreciated. TAN sounds like it offered such a needed connection.
                  Last edited by DetroitVinylRob; 02-02-2018, 07:52 PM.
                  Listening/Living room is 25.5x14.5x8.5, modestly live and dynamic, Brinkmann Balance w/RöNT II PS, HRS, Reed P3-12, Miyajima Zero, Avid Acutus SP, SME V w/Kondo fairy hair silver litz, Lyra Kleos, Linn Sondek LP12 w/Ittok LVII, Nakamichi ZX-7, Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Aesthetix Calypso & Rhea Signatures, Nordost TYR Norse 2 XLR IC, Silent Source Music Ref mains, Atma-Sphere MA1 Mk.3.4 OTL Silver Edition monoblocks, Elrod EPS-3 Sign power cables, Coincident Techn PREt, PS Audio Premiere, Yamamoto racks

Comment

I missed TAN, but hung out a little on rec.audio.highend
                    Steve Lefkowicz
                    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

I spent a good amount of time on TAN in the early-to-mid 90's, and hosted the 2nd TAN east coast gathering at my house.

Comment

Come to think of it think Luke Manley was also on TAN.

TAN was the forerunner of spreading audio news at an unprecedented speed. Until then it was phone calls, reviews or ads. World changer.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathanb View Post
                          I spent a good amount of time on TAN in the early-to-mid 90's, and hosted the 2nd TAN east coast gathering at my house.
                          Really! Tell more. I only remember the get together at Yogi’s.

Comment

Working...
                          X