Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Forum Announcement! Please Read!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy birthday Myles you have given birth to a great place and growing up nicly
    respecful , helpful , and not many goofing on my linguistic skills or lack of lol. Exceptional in every way.
    Enjoy your accomplishment

Comment

Now we are into the terrible twos! 😁
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Dang it...

Comment

I have just today joined this board. I am looking forward to learning a lot from audiophiles around the globe. I was very much into audio when I was in high school and college, and had a fine set up while I was working. When I retired we decided to move south to Florida and -sadly- sold my system and my record collection. Now I very much want to get back into it so I am starting out once again. However, limited funds don't allow me to buy the same lofty system I used to have, so I need to be very picky about price-quality ratio as pertains to equipment. I look forward to individual reviews of equipment and vinyl. I have read the TAS and Stereophile mags for years and keep looking for real quality within the true budget price range. So much "budget" stuff is far above my idea of what a budget item should cost. I need a 'table, cartidge and (I believe) an integrated amp with phono to get started. I already have my very old Monitor Audio Studio 20 speakers and a decent amount of classical LP.s. While I sold most of my LP.s up North, I have a small amount here, mostly re-issues of classic RCA, Mercury , Reference, and Decca issues. I am looking forward to learning about what is available nowadays.

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
            Steve Lefkowicz commented
            Editing a comment
            Budget gear is better than ever these days. Maybe start a new thread, and let us know what your budget is. For 10 people that respond you'll probably get 12 different answers!

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 Start a thread in the Bang for the Buck section. Sure the members would be glad to share their thoughts to get you up and running!

Thanks Steve - - I have perused the 'table market and think that I could handle $400 including cartridge, maybe a little more. As far as other equipment goes, I think another $600 is realistic in my circumstances. I am wondering about used stuff . . . this may be a little risky as to quality. In my early days, we made kits from Dynaco and used old radios for their speakers!!! I'm realistic to know that this is really low-ball, but I'm hoping!

Comment

• Mortsnets
            Mortsnets commented
            Editing a comment
            Check out the Best Bang For Your Buck section on this site.

Audio Advisor has one of their Pro-ject turntables on sale with cart for $400. I forget the model number off the top of my head.
          Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Congrats to everyone, the prizes are in and just need people's emails to send the gift award numbers.

In addition, congrats to Mortsnet for winning the $50 gift certificate to Elusive Disc for posting his system.

In addition, there's one other award for $25 that goes to the person whose contributions to the forum really go beyond the call of duty. This time the award goes to Larry Toy/Astrotoy for sharing his incredible and invaluable encyclopedic knowledge on music and record collecting! We all thank you Larry!

I'm thinking about holding another contest and would welcome suggestions on some other award category/categories.

Thanks to everyone for their invaluable contributions to the making the forum bigger and better every single day!
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• allenh
              allenh commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, Myles! Very generous of you!

Larry, congrats, very well deserved!

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Myles, I already received my new Lp records in the mail and am enjoying them. Thanks to the sponsors (if any) too.

• tima
              tima commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah good awards - I learn a lot from Larry and appreciate his contributions - and everyone else's too!

I finally made up my mind and ordered the MFSL 45rpm Brothers In Arms. Thanks again Myles!
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• JCOConnell
              JCOConnell commented
              Editing a comment
              good pick

• Dre_J
              Dre_J commented
              Editing a comment
              That reissue is VERY good.

• Johnny Vinyl
              Johnny Vinyl commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what sold me, plus I didn't want to lose out.

I applied the gift certificate on the Eric Bibb and Needed Time - Good Stuff (Opus R2R). Lessened the pain slightly.
            Thank you again Myles.
            [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              My pleasure and enjoy the tape!!!

It's here! Hopefully I'll have a chance to cue it up this afternoon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 04 07.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	50005
            Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

• mep
              mep commented
              Editing a comment
              Hold on to your hat Johnny and nail down the furniture.

• tima
              tima commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe share your comments - which I'd like to hear - in not this thread?

• Johnny Vinyl
              Johnny Vinyl commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll post some impressions this weekend in the Dire Straits Straits thread.
          Working...
          X