Curious Ebay Listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious Ebay Listing

Interesting. Was this tape used to make original mofi lp reissue or is this tape just a dupe of the master tape?

" Aqualung ". Great REEL from massive collection! REEL is in EXC. SLT LABS SLT-2-1061. I will work somthing out with you, however. Here is what we can do. CASE is in VG . | eBay!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

read the box carefully, its a dup of the MFSL vinyl...
    Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Thanks yes upon rereading believe you are right.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Ca. 2007.
        I hope the Lp they copied from wasn't trashed.

Comment

For those who didn't know the history behind the Aqualung tapes.
          yep , I am all for more tull in the game, though my favorite JT songs have little to no drums (look into the sun and reasons for waiting).

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

It’s funny...I’ve been watching that auction and I’ve read the label description dozens of times. I’m still not sure it’s a dub of the vinyl. But as it’s gone up quite a bit in the bidding I’m no longer going to snipe it to find out. Pity.
            TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
            VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
            DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
            SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
            AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I am not sure it is a dub of the LP. It seems like it was produced by a real company (although it could just be a made up name). If the company is real I don’t think they would sell dubs of LPs which is obvious illegal. On the other hand, selling a copy of the reel used to make the LP would be illegal too.

Who knows.
              Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Maybe sourced from whatever MoFi used when they released it? Why reference the MoFi at all? Did they ever market tape versions of their records? Not that I remember, The EQ on the MoFi vinyl is classic smiley face- when I compared all those pressings a while ago, it was the odd man out, sonically.
                FWIW, an original UK Chrysalis LP is not a good sounding record either. The best of the non-audiophile ones from back in the day were early Reprise pressings. That DCC is very good too, at a price. 'Tis strange....

I happened to be writing with Steve Hoffman, who knew the history of the original tapes, so I sent him the link and asked him- he might know---

Comment

Im 99% sure its a boot (dub) its the definition of bootleg itself. For one, the label pasted on the box begs for questions more than it answers. I emailed the seller this is what i got:

"Hey!
                  I don’t have any info on this. It could be [dup - my word] I suppose. Very strange item in a very large collection of reels
                  Thanks
                  Jeff"
                  Simon Yorke S10 | My Sonic Lab Eminent GL | AcousticPlan PhonoMaster | Wadia X32 | Innuous ZEN Mini Mk II | Valvet Soulshine2 | Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10 MkII | Avantgarde Uno Fino XD

"One of the great challenges of this world: Knowing enough about a subject to think you are right, but not enough about the subject to know you're wrong" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Would any professional company use two TEAC's to make dubs (instead of TASCAM's). Also a master tape at 7.5ips? I googled the "Sounds Like Tube Audio Labs" and there was nothing.

Larry
                    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                    Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                    Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                    Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

They take returns. For $81???? Its not like its $500 or more.
                      PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI Paramount preamp,
                      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, STST Motus II TT, Vertere SG1 arm, Hanna ML, Allnic H1201 Phono pre, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, LPS to Modem Router and Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cabling throughout network, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.10 awg dedicated branch circuits to amps bolted to power cords. Significant upgrades to 120 volt main power panel. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects. ADDPower Symphony and Electraclear.

Comment

You know what guys? FORGET IT! I can make you one as well. Just pay for the shipping and tape...Ha,ha,ha,
                        Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
                        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
                        http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Working...
                        X