This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hottest Reissues

What currently available reissues are seeing the most time on your turntable? Here are a few of my favorites.

Analogue Productions

Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow, 45 rpm
    Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall
    **Tony Bennett: Live at Carnegie Hall
    **Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue, 45 rpm
    JJ Cale: Troubador
    The Doors: LA Woman, 45 rpm
    **Shakey Jake: Mouth Harp Blues, 45 rpm
    Julie London: Sings Latin in a Satin Mood
    Shelby Lynne: A Little Lovin’, 45 rpm
    Henry Mancini: Hatari
    Henry Mancini: Pink Panther, 45 rpm
    **Dean Martin: Dream with Dean, 45 rpm
    **Elvis Presley: Elvis 57, 45 rpm
    Reiner: Festival
    Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman (45 rpm edition only)
    Ben Webster: Gentle Ben

Analogue Productions/Impulse (all 45 rpm)

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
    **John Coltrane: Ballads
    John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
    Gil Evans: Out of the Cool
    **Roy Haynes: Out of the Afternoon
    John Lee Hooker: It Serve You Right to Suffer
    **Blues and The Abstract Truth
    **Ben Webster: See You at the Fair

ORG

Blood, Sweat and Tears: BST, 45 rpm
    Ornette Coleman: Shape of Jazz to Come
    Duke Ellington, Jazz Party in Stereo, 45 rpm
    Vanessa Fernandez: Use Me, 45 rpm
    Wynton Kelley Trio: Smokin’ at the Half Note, 45 rpm
    **Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster
    **Aaron Neville: Warm Your Heart, 45 rpm
    Weather Report: Heavy Weather, 45 rpm

Mobile Fidelity

Cowboy Junkies: White Off
    **Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms (45 rpm)
    **Dead Can Dance: Labyrinth
    Dylan: Freewheelin’ Dylan
    Miles Davis: Filles de Kilimanjaro
    Santana: Abraxas (45 rpm edition recommended)

Impex

Duke Ellington: Mood Indigos
    Miles Davis: Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk
    **Three Blind Mice 45 rpm Anniversary Box Set

Audio Fidelity

Sade: Promise
    Sade: Diamond Life
    Vangelis: Bladeruner

Super Analogue

Gary Karr: Adagio d’ Abinoni
    Gary Karr: Songs of Prayer

Music Matters Jazz (all 45 rpm) -- more to come

**Grant Green: Green Street
    **Grant Green: Idle Moments
    **Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage

Friday Music

The Yes Album, 45 rpm

Clearaudio

Percussion Record, The O-Zone Percussion Group

** Must-have
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Killer list Myles!

No MFSL 45rpm Rickie Lee Jones?
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
      Killer list Myles!

No MFSL 45rpm Rickie Lee Jones?

I have to go back and relisten. Haven't heard it in a long time.

Wasn't a totally inclusive list. Had to leave some room for others!

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I have to go back and relisten. Haven't heard it in a long time.

Wasn't a totally inclusive list. Had to leave some room for others!
        Haha! I hear ya. If I had the number of reissues you have I might have omitted some as well. Glad you posted the ORG Aaron Neville, and I agree that its a must-have!
        Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I wonder if I am surprised that I own many of the LPs that Myles listed? I don't have the complete list, but I have most of them. Another LP that I'm stuck on is Neil Young-Live at the Cellar Door. If you claim to like Neil Young, great recordings, spinning LPs and you don't have this LP, something is amiss.
          Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

It's the youngness of his voice that is sooo.... entrancing. Like the Freewheelin' Dylan. Babies.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

It's the youngness of his voice that is sooo.... entrancing. Like the Freewheelin' Dylan. Babies.
              ​Absolutely. Neil Young in his prime.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

It's interesting you mention that as that is one of the primary reasons I found Chad's AP reissue of Cat Stevens- Tea For The Tillerman lacking in. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous recording in every other respect, but my German Island and the UK pressings top it for that reason.

Comment

I thought the pink rim Island trounced the 33 rpm reissue. Much closer on the 45 rpm. Just more subtlety and air.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

It's interesting you mention that as that is one of the primary reasons I found Chad's AP reissue of Cat Stevens- Tea For The Tillerman lacking in. Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous recording in every other respect, but my German Island and the UK pressings top it for that reason.
                    ​33 or 45 RPM version of Chad's reissue?

Comment

Originally posted by mep View Post

​33 or 45 RPM version of Chad's reissue?
                      33.....I heard the 45 is better, but I'm more than pleased with what I have.

Comment

33.....I heard the 45 is better, but I'm more than pleased with what I have.
                        ​The 45 RPM version is exactly 2 gabillion times better than the 33 1/3 RPM version.

Comment

​The 45 RPM version is exactly 2 gabillion times better than the 33 1/3 RPM version.
                          But does it beat the original UK Pink label? Unless it's better I'm not biting.

Comment

Yes.

+10^9

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Love your list, Myles! Totally agree the Dean Martin and Shelby Lynn reissues are absolutely winners! I play both for visitors to show off what vinyl can do!

From MoFi, I would add Beck's Sea Change. I think one of their better remasters.

From ORG, I like Espana (Gladiator was a big let down).

From Classic Records, love The Royal Ballet! I would have added Faust/Carmen, too, but the AP reissue has its own charms and it's hard to pick a favorite!

From EMI Pro Use Series, DSOTM!
                              Kronos Sparta -> Trinity Phono -> Trinity Pre -> CH Precision A1 -> Magico S7s

Comment

Working...
                              X